BasiliskII for Linux

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

fatfreddie
Space Cadet

Re: BasiliskII for Linux

Post by fatfreddie »

Okay, tested the filesharing between two machines emulating MacOS 7.5.4, and still no luck. Netatalk, the linux implementation of AppleTalk, doesn't see the emulations either... Does any of this usually work? If so, could the problem be related to the fact, that I'm trying this over a Wi-Fi network?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

fatfreddie wrote:If so, could the problem be related to the fact, that I'm trying this over a Wi-Fi network?
Probably. Can you plug in an ethernet cable or two and try it with a wired network?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Most routers do not support Appletalk over wireless connections.
Even our Appletalk solution for OSX with the IpNetRouter software doesn't have an implementation of Appletalk over wireless. The developer never implemented it. And modern-day router developers consider it to be a legacy protocol.

Best,
Cat_7
fatfreddie
Space Cadet

Post by fatfreddie »

That explains that! ...it's a pity though, I hoped to get it working in some way, since I don't have the option to revert to a wired connection... Well, on the other hand it's just a detail, I can still share the files over the host machines and make them available in the Unix folders.
east
Space Cadet

Post by east »

For what it's worth, I can share files using Appletalk between Basilisk II running OS 7.5.3 on a Winxp machine using Wifi and real Mac's hard wired to the same router, but only by first setting the Network control panel on the Basilisk and on the real Mac's (where applicable) to 'Classic Networking' so that all the machines are using MacTCP instead of Open Transport, with the rider that the Basilisk can find the Mac's in it's chooser window but not the other way round.
east
Space Cadet

Post by east »

Hi Cat,

I have installed BasiliskII on Ubunto running inside VirtualBox on a Mac Mini and when I start BasiliskII in fullscreen mode* my mouse curser appears at top left of the Mac desktop but then disappears making it impossible to use.

*I'm using a HD TV as a monitor

I'm also using a K400 Logitech wireless keyboard which works fine under VirtualBox and Ubuntu.

Can you suggest a fix?
EarlMosier
Space Cadet

Post by EarlMosier »

After running Basilisk II for several years problem free on Xubuntu 12.04 LTS I upgrade this past week (same hardware, new OS). In order to mirror my OS disks I had to use Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS and then add the Xubuntu Desktop. Today i attempted to reinstall Basilisk II using the same software I had been using; BasiliskII_SDL_Linux_13_09_2010. I can't get it to run.

I'm seeing the error: "error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory", which is very similar to a problem that was addressed in a much earlier response. I've read through all the responses to date and have tried anything that seemed remotely relevant to no avail. I suspect because I installed Ubuntu Server I'm probably missing a package (or several).

One thing I noticed was that the default PATH did not contain a pointer to /usr/lib, so I included that. I also added every gtk package that looked appropriate. GCC and G++ are both installed.

Any suggestions on packages that may be missing? Anything other suggestions? I'd really like to get BasiliskII working again...

Earl
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

My guess is that it is compiled against a libgtk object file for x11, and the change in x server has messed things up somehow? It seems to me a recompile using current SDL, GTK and xorg libs *should* do the trick.
ray
Space Cadet

Re: BasiliskII for Linux - Ubuntu 17.10?

Post by ray »

Hi, I need some help building/starting Basilisk II, long story short I moved off of OS X onto a laptop running Ubuntu 17.10.

There is a Basilisk II package however it doesn't seem to work. It throws:

Code: Select all

Basilisk II V1.0 by Christian Bauer et al.
ERROR: Could not initialize SDL: No available video device.
I tried to pass the --display option to it, no luck there either, got the same result. X11 works fine, the DISPLAY variable is set (:1) I'm able to run xlogo, etc. without issue.

I then did a git clone off https://github.com/cebix/macemu.git but the only Linux make options seem to be rpm oriented. How do I compile Basilisk II?

I'm sure there's going to be another issue after I build it, as this machine has a 4K display.

Thanks for any advice.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Do you have the SDL runtime and SDL development packages installed?

Is this any help with compiling?
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/co ... x_flavours

Best,
Cat_7
ray
Space Cadet

Post by ray »

Following the instructions on that page got it to compile without errors, but running the resulting binary causes the same issue where sdl fails to initialize.
Yeah, both the libsdl1.2-dev and libsdl1.2debian packages are installed. (There doesn't seem to be any libsdl1.2 packages in artful).

$ ./BasiliskII 
Basilisk II V1.0 by Christian Bauer et al.
ERROR: Could not initialize SDL: No available video device.
Both sdl-config and sdl2-config run.
Versions are: 1.2.15 and 2.0.6

I also tried adding --enable-sdl-static to the ./configure.
ray
Space Cadet

Post by ray »

Interesting. Ran strace against it, right before it complains, it tries to open the frame buffer, but no such device exists. That's a clue.

close(7)                                = 0
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/dev/fb0", O_RDWR)    = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/dev/fb/0", O_RDWR)   = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
write(1, "ERROR: Could not initialize SDL:"..., 60ERROR: Could not initialize SDL: No available video device.
) = 60
EarlMosier
Space Cadet

Post by EarlMosier »

I'm trying to get BasiliskII working on Xubuntu 18.04. I have an old copy of source (macemu) that I downloaded several years ago and had running. I am able to get the autogen.sh to complete without errors (that I see, anyway) and am given the instruction to run "make". When I do, I get a screenful of errors that scroll past what I'm able to save. I executed make again and directed the output to a file. The output says:

g++ -I./../include -I./. -I. -I./../CrossPlatform -I./../uae_cpu -I./../slirp -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DOS_linux
-DUNALIGNED_PROFITABLE -DX86_64_ASSEMBLY -DOPTIMIZED_FLAGS -DFPU_IEEE -D_REENTRANT
-DDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/BasiliskII\" -g -O2 -I../../../cxmon/src -I../../../cxmon/src/disass
-fno-merge-constants -fno-gcse-sm -c ./../main.cpp -o obj/main.o
Makefile:194: recipe for target 'obj/main.o' failed

I have no idea what this means...

Thinking I might have a bad copy of the source code, I came back to this forum and attempted to download using the same commands I did last time (found here: viewtopic.php?t=6375 ):

$ cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.cebix.net:/home/cvs/cebix login
(password is "anoncvs")
$ cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.cebix.net:/home/cvs/cebix checkout BasiliskII
$ cd BasiliskII/src/Unix
$ ./autogen.sh
check output if config is correct if no do ./configure with needed options
$ make
$ ./BasiliskII

What I found is that the server cvs.cebix.net doesn't exist anymore.

I also tried downloading the zip files for the Linux builds (found here: viewtopic.php?t=6580 ), but after unzipping them I have no idea what to do with them. They aren't a directory, and they don't execute for me.

Can someone help me decode my error, point me to another location for the source code, and/or tell me what to do with the Linux build files?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Earl
EarlMosier
Space Cadet

Post by EarlMosier »

A quick update on my previous post.

I was able to find the latest source code on github and successfully downloaded it. Unfortunately, I get the exact same error when running the make command.

Still searching....
ray
Space Cadet

Post by ray »

I was able to fix the missing framebuffer due to nvidia drivers issue by doing:

modload uvesafb
But then got permissions errors on the console. I haven't quite figured out exactly all the devices I needed to chown to my user, however, running sudo BasiliskII now brings up the GUI.
EarlMosier
Space Cadet

Post by EarlMosier »

OK. Got it working. The problem was that I didn't have all my package requirements installed.
Thanks to anyone who spent any time thinking about my problem.
ray
Space Cadet

Post by ray »

I see you were eventually able to get it compiled, so this comes too late.

One thing, if you get an error like that and don't see the actual error message, you can copy & paste the exact gcc command into the terminal and see what error it actually throws. In what you posted above it looks like make is hiding the output. Note that you might have to figure out what directory to cd into first.
powerpcfan
Student Driver

Post by powerpcfan »

I downloaded the windowed-mode binary and I can't launch it.
Crusher
Space Cadet

Post by Crusher »

I found the flatpak build of Basilisk II on Flathub, and I'm up and running Mac System 7.5.3 in a window on Elementary, a Linux distro that look a a lot like Mac OS. Hurrah!

I see that the Basilisk flatpak was posted only a few days ago on Dec. 15. I don't know who built and posted it, but thank you very much! Nice Christmas present. :-)

I have an old game that requires a PPC, and I's really like to give it a go. Would the person that posted the Basilisk II flatpak be willing to post a SheepShaver flatpak on Flathub? I'd be very grateful!
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Crusher wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:33 pm I found the flatpak build of Basilisk II on Flathub, and I'm up and running Mac System 7.5.3 in a window on Elementary, a Linux distro that look a a lot like Mac OS. Hurrah!

I see that the Basilisk flatpak was posted only a few days ago on Dec. 15. I don't know who built and posted it, but thank you very much! Nice Christmas present. :-)
Hello !

Yes it's a nice Christmas present because the compilation of Basilisk via its source code at home does not work see here

On the other hand, the installation via this site here worked for me. I put the necessary command lines:

flatpak install flathub net.cebix.basilisk

flatpak run net.cebix.basilisk
On the other hand, I have a big problem... the fullscreen mode does not work ?! It's an old version of Basilisk is that why ?!

Greetings !
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You're mostly on your own when Linux versions are concerned. There are just too many distributions to keep track of.
Why the flatpack version will not do full screen? No idea, perhaps you can contact the creator of the package.

We normally compile from: https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu
There are simple compilation instructions:

git clone https://www.github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu macemu
cd macemu/BasiliskII/src/Unix
./autogen.sh
make

Best,
Cat_7
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Hello !

FANTASTIC a big thank you the compilation finally works & even better the fullscreen mode works perfectly ! The compiled version is 1.1 I also compiled SheepShaver the same way it works & I get version 2.5.

I have one last thing left, to find out how to compile Qemu Screamer for Linux WITHOUT an error message...

Greetings !
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Glad you got it done.

What error are you getting when compiling the qemu screamer source?

Best,
Cat_7
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Hello !

I followed these instructions here:

sudo apt-get install git libglib2.0-dev libfdt-dev libpixman-1-dev zlib1g-dev

git clone -b screamer https://github.com/mcayland/qemu qemu-screamer
cd qemu-screamer
Then after this command line:

./configure --target-list="ppc-softmmu" --enable-gtk --with-gtkabi=3.0 --enable-sdl --with-sdlabi=2.0 --audio-drv-list="pa"
I have this error message:

Using './build' as the directory for build output
ERROR: unknown option --with-gtkabi=3.0
Try '/home/goldorak/Téléchargements/qemu-screamer/configure --help' for more information
I cannot continue the compilation...

Greetings !
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Sebiohazard wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:07 pm Hello !

I followed these instructions here:

sudo apt-get install git libglib2.0-dev libfdt-dev libpixman-1-dev zlib1g-dev

git clone -b screamer https://github.com/mcayland/qemu qemu-screamer
cd qemu-screamer
Then after this command line:

./configure --target-list="ppc-softmmu" --enable-gtk --with-gtkabi=3.0 --enable-sdl --with-sdlabi=2.0 --audio-drv-list="pa"
I have this error message:

Using './build' as the directory for build output
ERROR: unknown option --with-gtkabi=3.0
Try '/home/goldorak/Téléchargements/qemu-screamer/configure --help' for more information
I cannot continue the compilation...

Greetings !
Do you have GTK3 installed? This is a requirement if you're using that configure line.