QEMU 3 rc0 + MorphOS 3.11

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

fire_lizard
Space Cadet

QEMU 3 rc0 + MorphOS 3.11

Post by fire_lizard »

Hi everyone.

It is my first post here. First of all, thank you for all your work done.

My question is: some people say that QEMU 3 is capable of running MorphOS (tested with MorphOS 3.11 here)

I have tried to reproduce the same steps but the only thing I get is "Guest has not initialized the display (yet)" or "Trying cd: ,\mac_ppc32\boot.img..." if I remove "-vga none" option from the bat file.

Any suggestions what can I do in order to boot MorphOS 3.11?

Thanks in advance.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: QEMU 3 rc0 + MorphOS 3.11

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, and welcome.

I was wondering how long it would take for the first post about morphOS to appear after the item at OSNews.com ;-)

We are a forum concerned with emulation of Mac OS/OSX. So we have no knowledge of running MorphOS.
But as I read that post too, I wonder whether you followed the guide at http://zero.eik.bme.hu/~balaton/qemu/amiga/ ? particularly, did you use the provided openbios-qemu.elf as bios?

To boot this installation, this works at my place:
qemu-system-ppc.exe -bios openbios-qemu.elf -L pc-bios -boot d -m 512 -M mac99,via=pmu -cdrom C:\Mac-images\morphos-3.11.iso -sdl -prom-env "boot-device=cd:,\mac_ppc32\boot.img" -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -vga none -device sm501

To install you would need an additional disk created with qemu-img in the raw format.
Add it like this to the command line:
-drive file=C:\Mac-images\morphos311.img,format=raw,media=disk

Best,
Cat_7
fire_lizard
Space Cadet

Post by fire_lizard »

Thank you for your reply. Did not work with QEMU 3 rc0 at all, but works like a charm with QEMU 3 rc1

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Nice! Is it handling the accelerated graphics as well, or is this essentially an alternative to WinUAE at this point?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I haven't got it to boot from HD yet with 3.0 rc1 in Windows.

It seems some graphics acceleration works in Linux with -sdl,gl=on. See the youtube film demonstrating that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZJ42NPG8Qo

This at least seems to boot the hd on OSX host with Qemu 3.0 RC1:
./qemu-system-ppc -bios openbios-qemu-morphos.elf -L pc-bios -M mac99,via=pmu -m 2048 -device sm501 -boot c -prom-env 'boot-device=hd:,boot.img' -hda Morphos-3.11.raw -vga none -serial stdio -net none -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01

But boots hangs in the grey screen before the desktop appears.

An experimental build for OSX hosts to run MorphOS is available here: http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads3/Qe ... 7-2018.zip

Best,
Cat_7
terminills
Space Cadet

Post by terminills »

I copied the macofboot file from the cd.

and used this line to boot

qemu-system-ppc -machine mac99,via=pmu -m 2048 -device sm501 -drive "file=C:\Users\Tim\Desktop\qemu\morphos-3.qcow2,index=0,media=disk" -vga none -boot d -prom-env "boot-device=hd:,\boot.img" -bios openbios-qemu.ELF -serial stdio
terminills
Space Cadet

Post by terminills »

Fully working with a physical drive on windows.

qemu-system-ppc -machine mac99,via=pmu -m 2048 -device sm501 -drive file=\\.\PhysicalDrive2,index=0,media=disk,driver=raw -net none -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 -vga none -boot d -prom-env "boot-device=hd:,\boot.img" -bios openbios-qemu.ELF -serial stdio
waldiamiga
Space Cadet

Post by waldiamiga »

My config.

qemu-system-ppc -machine mac99,via=pmu -m 1024 -vga none -device sm501 -boot d -prom-env "boot-device=hd:,\boot.img" -bios openbios-qemu.elf -device ide-hd,drive=hd-drive,bus=ide.0 -drive file=mos.img,if=none,id=hd-drive,format=raw -serial stdio -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user

Config in CD Boot.

qemu-system-ppc -machine mac99,via=pmu -m 1024 -vga none -device sm501 -cdrom morphos-3.11.iso -boot d -prom-env "boot-device=cd:,\mac_ppc32\boot.img" -bios openbios-qemu.elf -hda mos.img -drive file=mos.img,if=none,id=hd-drive,format=raw -serial stdio