SheepShaver version 2.5 for MacOSX/macOS for testing

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: SheepShaver version 2.5 for MacOSX/macOS for testing

Post by adespoton »

Yes; it's a constraint of the library used to display the folder structure. IIRC, it was fixed in 8.1, although it may have been 7.6.

7.1 needs an extra extension to support it at all, and 7.5.x limits the folder contents number to 500. This can be changed via some resource hackery, but you'll also need to increase the heap size for 7.5 to compensate.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

The report of the Unix folder limit was about 8.6. And the limit wasn't there in older versions of SheepShaver running the same 8.6 system. (This was reported by a user of my WPMacApp application which runs WordPerfect for the Mac in SheepShaver.)
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Is the folder limit a HS or Mojave related issue?
I don´t see any limitations with my 780 or something files in "Unix" from 7.5.3 to 8.6.
Just curiosity on my side. (Sierra)
kanjitalk755
Apple Corer

Post by kanjitalk755 »

emendelson wrote:The report of the Unix folder limit was about 8.6. And the limit wasn't there in older versions of SheepShaver running the same 8.6 system. (This was reported by a user of my WPMacApp application which runs WordPerfect for the Mac in SheepShaver.)
The file extfs_macosx.cpp (implementation of external file system) is same as latest cebix/macemu code.
Therefore the behavior of the Unix folder must be same as SheepShaver2.4.
I can do nothing because the problem is not reproduced.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If the issue cannot be reproduced by others, it may be specific for something in that user's setup. Is the issue solved by using again an earlier version of the WPMacApp application?

Still, there is a wide range of SheepShaver "2.4" builds over many years while there were changes in the source between those builds. Which SheepShaver build was used in the WPMacApp application that does not have the issue? And could there have been changes in the extfs_macosx.cpp file between then and now?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Thanks for the replies. Probably something special in my project is causing this, and I'll look into whether I can reproduce it. Until I started using kanjitalk755's code this month, I was using a custom build that I made of the cabin/macemu code that I built in a 10.6 machine a few years ago. I'll experiment and report back if I find anything interesting.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

The problem I reported (SheepShaver not showing all files in the Unix folder) seems to have been a glitch in the user's system, not a problem with SheepShaver. Possibly he has a corrupt file that prevented SheepShaver from seeing files below it in the directory listing. Apologies for wasting bandwidth on this.
er777
Space Cadet

Post by er777 »

So glad to find a very recent tale of success here!

But I am having problems - the app tries to launch but always fails, though, and I am following the directions pretty carefully. I have:

1) Mac OS 10.13.5 High Sierra
2) A folder called SheepShaver with the contents:
- this latest build, SheepShaver. app ( V 2.5 )
- OS9.img 9 from http://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver.html ( I also have OS9.img elsewhere on the computer, outside of this folder. )
- multiple ROM files, all extracted: newworld86.rom.zip, mac_oldworld_rom4mb.rom.zip. Tried renaming each to Mac OS ROM
3) A folder outside of this one called OS9Shared, with nothing in it yet...

Would greatly appreciate some advice on running SheepShaver successfully!

Thanks!
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

If it's quitting immediately on launch, it's most often due to the program not finding a compatible ROM file. For your setup, you'll want to use the newworld86 ROM, but make sure the file you rename to "Mac OS ROM" is the ROM file itself, not the .zip container. It sounds like you did extract the ROM, but from the .zip names you posted, I wasn't sure.

Also, double check that there isn't a hidden extension on the filename. Go to File -> Get Info and look under Name & Extension, and delete the extension (probably .rom) if one is there.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. See the advice above by "Elyus"

2. Note the issue with a new security feature in macOS Sierra and later that is described here on the main download page viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7360

- macOS 10.12 (Sierra) and later
There is an issue with macOS 10.12 Sierra (in fact with an additional new security feature in Sierra) that prevents a newly installed SheepShaver to run. The procedure to get it running is simply to copy the program (only the SheepShaver application itself!) to the desktop, remove the old program in the SheepShaver folder and move the new copy from the desktop to the SheepShaver folder.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

@er777:
Did you try moving SheepShaver.app to your desktop, run once and put it back after success?
This is a known obstacle in Sierra and up, triggered by an Apple security improvement.
Also, you may try the Standalone prefs editor here: http://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver/ ... rPrefs.zip
(The standalone is obsolete/outdated in general, but helpful when one can´t get things rolling.)

For the ROM, I´m always using OldWorld, as I want to run 7.6.
Rebooting a different volume from inside SheepShaver does work for me that way.
To set the ROM path correctly, just drag the unzipped file to the empty ROM file field.
(The location and filename do not really matter as long as you choose a valid ROM.)

As your settings are done, close the editor and run SheepShaver.

Ah, just saw Ronald was too fast for me. ;)
er777
Space Cadet

Post by er777 »

Success! That did it!

You are so kind to have alerted me to that issue in High Sierra!

Now that I have my OS9 up and running, I am trying to install a program from a CD ROM. Installation requires a Code that I have that is connected with the CD. I can double-click the installer, the CD-ROM is recognized and I press install ----
but I get this: "Can not locate the installer CD". But the installer CD is EXACTLY what I am using to install the program...!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6b4xzzgp2xk3w ... r.png?dl=0

Perhaps you have insight?

Thank you!!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I suppose you use a disk image that is created from the CD as macOS 10.13 prevents using physical CDs in SheepShaver.

- Use the latest SheepShaver 2.5 test build, not one of the SheepShaver 2.4 builds.
- Use the built-in preferences editor, not the separate SheepShaverPrefs that 24bit mentioned in this thread!
- Make sure the image is added to the volumes list in SheepShaver Preferences and that the CD checkbox after the CD volume is checked. Save the change.
- As always: After saving any changes in SheepShaver Preferences, quit SheepShaver and launch it again.
- The CD will mount as CD and should be recognised as such by the installer

Note that the OS9 volume from Redundant Robot is not large enough for any significant additional installation. It also contains the System Folder only, not a full MacOS 9 installation. Best find a generic MacOS installation disk and do a full OS installation as described in the setup manual. You can search the Macintosh Garden site for MacOS installation disks.

Alternatively, you can copy the OS9 system to a larger volume within SheepShaver:
- In the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences, create a larger volume, for instance 1 or 2 GB (1000 or 2000 MB) in size.
- Shut down SheepShaver and start it again.
- Allow the new volume to be initialised. In the dialog, choose an appropriate name for the volume and Mac OS Extended for the format.
- Copy the content of the OS9 volume to the larger volume
- When the copy is complete, check whether the System Folder on the new volume shows its System Folder icon. If it only shows a generic folder icon, open the folder so the Finder can "see" the "System" and "Finder" files inside. That way the folder will obtain its icon. (This is called "blessing" the System Folder.)
- In the volumes list in preferences, remove the original OS9 volume, so SheepShaver can start up from the copied system.
- Shut down SheepShaver and start it again.