help installing pathways into darkness

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

garythegengar
Space Cadet

help installing pathways into darkness

Post by garythegengar »

hello, I'm pretty inexperienced with emulation beyond n64 and ds emulation. Today, I downloaded the basiliskII emulator and stuffit 5.5 to try to play a classic game from my childhood, pathways into darkness. I believe I installed everything correctly, as the virtual pc runs and I was able to install stuffit, but when i try to expand the game file I have, it just results with 3 images that I can't open and a txt file. no game or anything. Ive tried multiple game files, and as an open source game at this point it shouldnt be hard to find. Did I do anything wrong? Could someone possibly help me figure out how to install this game, i'd love to play it again!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: help installing pathways into darkness

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Which is your host system? Windows?

The Macintosh Garden site has two downloads of the game. The .sit file contains only the three disk image files of the three installer disks (floppies) and a text file. The .zip file contains additional files and apart from the three installer floppy images also the installed game on one disk image.

You can mount the volumes of the disk images in BasiliskII by adding the image files to the volumes list in BasiliskIIGUI.
garythegengar
Space Cadet

Post by garythegengar »

Thank you for the fast response. Yes, my host system is windows.

I was able to mount the dsk files, but it says there isnt enough space for a save game file. it requests 300k disk space available, when I should have much more than that. when creating the disk i saved the img file as 200 mb (the guide recommended 100 or above and had 200 in their picture).

edit: Now it allows me to access the save game screen, but says that there is a disk error when trying to access the save files. The error has an id of -39.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Well, you added disk image before to the volumes list while setting up BasiliskII, didn't you?

With this procedure most image files will mount fine without possible resource fork, so you can have them anywhere on the host. Run BasiliskIIGUI.exe in the Basilisk II directory. In the “volumes” tab use the "Add…" to add the three installer images one by one. When you start BasiliskII itself, the images should be mounted on the BasiliskII desktop.

I do not know what could be the cause of being unable to start the emulator after adding an image file to the volumes list.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Hm, the .dsk files appear to be locked - could that be an issue?
I made a img.sit and may add it to the Pathways page, if need should be.
Maybe a img.zip for MiniVMac_II would be easiest for this game?
garythegengar
Space Cadet

Post by garythegengar »

I was able to successfully mount the dsk file and open the game last night, but was unable to create a save file, so I gave up and went to sleep. When I tried again today, when I try to run BasiliskIIGUI.exe with the dsk file in volumes, i get a black screen.

24bit - would you mind sharing the img.sit you created? also, what would be the process to using an img.zip for minivmac_II? I'm not familiar with that emulator whatsoever.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I've had success copying PiD onto a larger disk with 7.5.3 already installed. The issue with saving is likely that either the disk is locked or there isn't enough room to write the save file to.