Freehand 7 crashes on opening, can't make it work

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

megaman
Space Cadet

Freehand 7 crashes on opening, can't make it work

Post by megaman »

Hi, first post here (although been using sheepshaver for almost a year)

I have been trying to make Freehand version 7 and 8 work to no avail. Both versions colapse sheepshaver on opening. ok, no, They open correctly once and if you close the application and then try to open it, bam! sheepshaver crashes.

I tried it on my main emulated mac which use a G3 ROM and system 8.6 (which only crashes once in a while) and then made a new one with the newworld86.rom and System 9.0.4 from MacOS904CD_Intl.ZIP.

I own Freehand 7 and was the one trying to use to open my files but I thought that i could see if is the app or the emulation setup so I downloaded a demo of Freehand 8 from the repository and install it. the reslut was the same.

So, what can I do to make it work or Freehand is one of the applications that cannot work on sheep shaver.

Hope someone can give some gelp because I am loosing the few remainig hair.

I'm on Mac OS Sierra.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Freehand 7 crashes on opening, can't make it work

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Alternatively, it is also possible to install FreeHand 10 or MX in SnowLeopard within a virtual machine. FreeHand MXa seems to be available for free now:
http://www.freehandforum.org/news.html wrote:In case you are not aware of this: In some way Adobe has liberated FreeHand. Anyone can now install it and use the Registration File you can find on our downloads page. …
EDIT:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Maybe this helps: viewtopic.php?p=33185#p33185
I didn't manage to run FreeHand in SheepShaver when I tried about five years ago. Thanks for linking to that tip, Ronald!
Last edited by mabam on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
megaman
Space Cadet

Post by megaman »

Didn't saw the search field at the bottom of the page!!! I could have find it my self, sorry.

Thanks will check it out right now

...and also thanks for sheepshaver!
megaman
Space Cadet

Post by megaman »

Thanks for the link mabam!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

megaman wrote:Didn't saw the search field at the bottom of the page!!! I could have find it my self, sorry.
There is a more elaborate search option among the icons at the top of the page. Try the magnifying glass.
megaman
Space Cadet

Post by megaman »

It never crossed my mind to hover the mouse over them. I Thought they were just decorations, silly me.
Thanks for the time and patience!

BTW, that link solve my problems with Freehand. Deactivating "Enable JIT Compiler" did the trick perfectly and now I can open the files I needed,

Thanks again!

-Edit for typos