Change number of colors

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Z_God
Student Driver

Change number of colors

Post by Z_God »

I'm trying to play a couple a games in Basilisk II, but they all want 256 colors.
When I check the monitor control panel (Mac OS 8.1) I only get 'thousands of colors' there though.
Any idea how to change the number colors? If believe the Windows version had a GUI option for this, but I can't find it in the Linux version.
I'm using SUSE Linux 9.0 btw.
Thanks in advance.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Ah, it is so good to have a Basilisk II question.

You should go to the Basilisk II GUI and select 256 colors from there.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

If you cannot find a GUI for Linux, I'd search the pram file for some reference to resolution.

In the windows version it is
screen win/1024/768/32

meaning windowed mode, 1034x768 window at 32 bit colour.

change it accordingly
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Oh, duh. He's in Linux. Yeah. You have to start the emulator at 256 colors.
Z_God
Student Driver

Post by Z_God »

Marc wrote:If you cannot find a GUI for Linux, I'd search the pram file for some reference to resolution.

In the windows version it is
screen win/1024/768/32

meaning windowed mode, 1034x768 window at 32 bit colour.

change it accordingly
In ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs I found the following line:
screen win/1024/768
I tried putting /8 behind it, but that didn't work (and after running Basilisk II, it seemed to have removed the /8).
Gwenole

Post by Gwenole »

Which version of Basilisk II (date) are you using? On-the-fly resolution & depth switching are implemented in current CVS for quite some time now.
Z_God
Student Driver

Post by Z_God »

I just checked it in a newer version and I can indeed switch the number of colors now in the control panel.
I've still got a problem though. All the newer versions I have tried, take about 5 minutes before they start booting, while the older version immediatly starts booting. After that, it works very fast though. Could this be a problem with my distro/compiler?
Gwenole

Post by Gwenole »

Do you have a devfs-capable system, i.e. is /dev/.devfsd available? And do you have a floppy drive?
Z_God
Student Driver

Post by Z_God »

No, I do not seem to have devfs, /dev/.devfsd is not availlable.
I do have a floppy drive. It indeed seems to be very busy when starting Basilisk II.
Z_God
Student Driver

Post by Z_God »

I still have this problem with SUSE 9.1 :(
Would it be possible to fix this at some point or is it already fixed in a recent CVS version?
Thanks in advance.
chops
Space Cadet

Color depth on Mac OSX

Post by chops »

I too am trying to play a game (actually my daughter wants to play it) that only runs in 256 colors. Problem is that Basilisk will only boot with 16-bit color depth (Thousands). It runs fine with this, but when the game tries to switch the color depth the emulator hangs. Starting the emaulator using other depths (like 8-bit) causes the boot process to hang at "Welcome to Macintosh". I have set the depth in the GUI and also in the hidden prefs file Basilisk uses to no avail.

I am a Mac geek so I have lots of different Mac ROMs available to me, and I've tried performa and quadra roms, with different CPU types.

Finally, I've tried different versions of Basilisk. Nigel Pearson has two on his site, one of which was updated for Tiger (10.4)...

My specs:

PowerBook 17-inch, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Mac OS X 10.4.3

Any other Mac OS X Mac users have this problem?