Using SCSI2SD and OSXFUSE

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

jtwms1
Space Cadet

Using SCSI2SD and OSXFUSE

Post by jtwms1 »

Forgive me if this is not the right place for this, but i have seen a lot of good advice related to this topic here.

My question is, how do I mount a SCSI2SD volume so I can write to it using OSXFUSE? I swear I did this in the past, but I cannot figure out how to do it now.

I have a 8GB MicroSD that was set up with SCSI2SD-util, and has been used as four separate 2GB volumes with a Mac SE (via DB25 SCSI)

I have installed OSXFUSE 3.8.2 (on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6) and can easily mount the first volume (as expected), but my issue is that I used to be able to mount the volume and transfer software to the SD card. Presently, I cannot mount the drive as writeable.

Here's what I see in terminal:

Code: Select all

$ diskutil list
/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *8.0 GB     disk2
   1:                  Apple_HFS Templates-SCSI1         2.1 GB     disk2s1
   2:        Apple_partition_map                         32.3 KB    disk2s2
   3:             Apple_Driver43                         16.4 KB    disk2s3

$ df -h
Filesystem      Size   Used  Avail Capacity iused               ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/disk2s1   2.0Gi  531Mi  1.5Gi    26%    1858          4294965421    0%   /Volumes/Templates-SCSI1

$ mount
/dev/disk2s1 on /Volumes/Templates-SCSI1 (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, read-only, noowners)

$ mount -u -w "/Volumes/Templates-SCSI1/"
mount: unknown special file or file system /Volumes/Templates-SCSI1/.
Any ideas?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Using SCSI2SD and OSXFUSE

Post by adespoton »

OSXFUSE by itself will only create the FUSE interface; you also need https://thejoelpatrol.github.io/fusehfs/ to enable read/write HFS support; by default, modern OS X only supports reading HFS volumes, not writing to them.

You may find that Mojave has disabled FuseHFS, and will have to jump through a few hoops to ensure it can get around the kernel protections that have been introduced. I still haven't got around to getting it working again on my emulation box. and so have been doing all my HFS work from within QEMU (you can point the SD block device directly at QEMU and it'll handle the volumes just fine).
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

OSX 10.5 Leopard may be a solution too, if you are willing to run VMWare Fusion on your host OS.
I made a few HFS volumes that way, floppy and SD.
Leopard Server is hosted at Macintoshgarden for some time now, same for Tiger X86 Server.

I have yet to try VMWare Fusion with Mojave, but I can´t see why Fusion should not work.
Sierra and High Sierra are fine as host OS.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

10.5 and 10.5 Server don't run in VirtualBox or Parallels Desktop btw: the only option now is VMWare Fusion, or running the PPC version in QEMU (or running on actual hardware -- I chose QEMU and hardware).
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Just to update: I've been trying to get fuseHFS working under Mojave and can't even get it to compile cleanly; it appears that since it's all 32-bit and Mojave is 64-bit, I can't build it correctly. And of course, Mojave disables previous installs.

I've also found that HFS Disk Maker by Charles isn't functional under Mojave, and HFSUtil by emendelson from way back also fails to compile (due to duplicate pem files needed for Sparkle -- this may just need to be stripped out to fix the problem there).

My current solution: Boot 7.5.5 using BII, but I don't think this will work with SCSI2SD. Only solution I can think of there is to create a disk image of the SD card and boot THAT in BII/SheepShaver/Mini vMac, move the stuff around, then write the disk image back to the SD card using Disk Utility or dd.
jtwms1
Space Cadet

Post by jtwms1 »

I was able to eventually get something of a useful path, but i'm still dependent upon old hardware. I found that under Mac OS 10.6.8 and using OSXFUSE 2.6.3 (older version) I can read and write to the 8gb microSD, but only to one volume on the card.

Only trouble is, I have to use a rather old laptop...

Re: The disk image method. The oddity of the SD card as formatted by the SCSI2SD is that only one volume (as there are 4 partitioned) even with my above solution, I'm not sure that I can even image the entire thing under my host OS. I will have to check. That said, the next rev of the SCSI2SD hardware is apparently somewhat different in this regard.

Will keep looking!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Using the diskutil command line in tandem with fuse, you should be able to manually mount and unmount recognized partitions on the card. By default it will only mount the first one found though, unless you explicitly reference the path to another.