Trouble running a game

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

SB-129
Space Cadet

Trouble running a game

Post by SB-129 »

Hello. I'm having trouble running a game. It's on a CD-ROM, and I have 64-bit Windows, so I had to extract the contents and make an image file. When I click the icon, the game's border pops up, but then shrinks back down and the game closes immediately. Some things to note:
1. The game is from Japan, and was released in 1994.
2. It requires KanjiTalk 7.1
3. It uses Quicktime (included on disk)
4. I had a hard time extracting the contents, because my Windows laptop couldn't read the disk. I ended up using a specialty program, I think MacDisk or TransMac, to do it, and they had trouble with the Japanese characters, so some of the files were renamed random gibberish. I'm afraid this may have messed up the files.
5. I tried looking at some of the files. I ran some of them through a filetype analyzer, and most of them are Quicktime videos, but they can't be played by any media player I've tried (including Media Player Classic, VLC, and Quicktime itself).

Can somebody recommend a setup that might work?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Trouble running a game

Post by adespoton »

What game is it? Someone may have already made a disk image of it.

Barring that, try using ImgBurn to create a disk image of the CD. Then load the disk image into BII (lock it first) and it'll show up in 7.1 as a CD.

From there, everything should work as expected, assuming the game actually runs in BII.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

SB-129 wrote:Hello. I'm having trouble running a game. It's on a CD-ROM, and I have 64-bit Windows, so I had to extract the contents and make an image file.
4. I had a hard time extracting the contents, because my Windows laptop couldn't read the disk. I ended up using a specialty program, I think MacDisk or TransMac, to do it, and they had trouble with the Japanese characters, so some of the files were renamed random gibberish. I'm afraid this may have messed up the files.
I'm not clear what you did, exactly. You would make an image file of a CD with an image-making program. Did you try imgburn?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I'm having trouble running a game. It's on a CD-ROM, and I have 64-bit Windows, so I had to extract the contents and make an image file.
I'm not sure the premise is correct here:

Our latest BasiliskII build reads normal (but not all) Mac cd's in windows 64 bit.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5282

Did you try to run Basilisk with the disk inserted? Or just assumed it would not work because Windows couldn't read the disk?

Best,
Cat_7
SB-129
Space Cadet

Post by SB-129 »

adespoton wrote:What game is it? Someone may have already made a disk image of it.

Barring that, try using ImgBurn to create a disk image of the CD. Then load the disk image into BII (lock it first) and it'll show up in 7.1 as a CD.

From there, everything should work as expected, assuming the game actually runs in BII.
'
Jorpho wrote:I'm not clear what you did, exactly. You would make an image file of a CD with an image-making program. Did you try imgburn?
I just tried imgburn. The same thing happens. The game pops up and goes back down immediately.

This is the game:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/macintos ... ahjong-piv

I've never seen another disk image of it.

Edit: Okay, thanks for the replies. I tried ImgBurn, and the same thing happened: it pops up and closes immediately.

Then I tried the physical disk with my KanjiTalk-configured package. It gives me a Japanese error message, then the emulator crashes.

But then, I tried my English package, and it's running. I don't think I could get it to run before, so I'm not sure why it's running now.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Great you got things rolling!
Could you please consider uploading the working image to Macintoshgarden?
Not that there is a shortage in Mahjong games there, just curiosity on my side. :)
SB-129
Space Cadet

Post by SB-129 »

24bit wrote:Great you got things rolling!
Could you please consider uploading the working image to Macintoshgarden?
Not that there is a shortage in Mahjong games there, just curiosity on my side. :)
Maybe. What format should it be in?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

imgburn iso; you can compress it with 7zip if you want I think.
SB-129
Space Cadet

Post by SB-129 »

Well, I'd love to add it, but Macintosh Garden isn't sending me a confirmation email.
SB-129
Space Cadet

Post by SB-129 »

I've decided that I will not be sharing this. The imgburn ISO is non-functional, and I can't make an image any other way. Sorry.
SB-129
Space Cadet

Post by SB-129 »

I'm back with a new computer. A new computer that absolutely refuses to run Basilisk. When everything with the GUI is set up, I click "Start" and nothing happens at all. Not even an error message. The Task Manager shows that the process simply disappears upon clicking.

I really want to make a working ISO of this game. Too bad it's really impossible.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Maybe you forgot to install this one on the new rig? http://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/gtk ... -setup.exe
Alternatively, you might also run the old version of BII 142 Cat_7 did compile for us, but this one lacks CD-ROM support on Windows 64bit.
https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... b/download
Do read the guide, please: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_142_setup
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The windows GUI can only start basilisk when the program is called "BasiliskII.exe" so without date etc.

Best,
Cat_7
SB-129
Space Cadet

Post by SB-129 »

GOOD NEWS!

I got it running again, and I was able to get KanjiTalk installed as well (otherwise, filenames and such would be ruined). Using Virtual CD/DVD-ROM Utility (running on the emulator itself) it looks like I was able to make a working ISO of the game! Mounting it to a virtual drive via DaemonToolsLite and then setting up Basilisk II to recognize that virtual drive as the CD-ROM drive allows me to emulate the game. It technically works with an English OS, but the menu bar options appear as messed-up text (the in-game text appears to be unaffected) and as I mentioned before, looking at the disc's content without KanjiTalk does the same thing. I wanted a perfect copy of the disc's content, so I made the ISO using the KanjiTalk installation.

...but I'm having trouble uploading it to Macintosh Garden. It could be that the ISO is 511 MB, not all that big, these days, but perhaps more than their servers are used to processing at a time. In any case, it just says "Starting upload..." for a very long time.

EDIT: It's done!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thanks for taking the trouble of creating and uploading something usable!
I may have a look at the game one of these days.

As for the upload to MG, the non working progress bar is a known issue for for some time.
I think it is a HTTPS "feature". When running HTTP the upload bar should work, methinks.