Help setting up SheepShaver on Sierra to run games/apps

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Lightning
Space Cadet

Help setting up SheepShaver on Sierra to run games/apps

Post by Lightning »

Hey,

I'm having a bit of difficulty setting up a SheepShaver build of OS9 on my computer, and am having some incongruity between what I'm reading in the Setup Instructions found here, and what I'm seeing in my setup at a certain point in the instructions.

I'm at the point in the instructions where it says the following:
Proceed with the system installation by starting (double-clicking) the installer “Mac OS Install”.
The trouble I'm having is that there is no "Mac OS Install" installer on my setup at this point in the process. I believe that this is because I've used the Mac OS9 image from Redundant Robot with the pre-installed system as noted by the Super Moderator Ronald P. Regensburg in this thread.

The problem is that I want to use this setup to run old PPC games/apps, and Regensburg says that I won't be able to so using the Redundant Robot disk image because the pre-installed system is recognized as the System Folder.

I was wondering if I could potentially solve this issue by simply copying all the files from the MacOS9 image into the Virtual Disk Image that is created in step 3 of the instructions, then proceeding with the rest of the setup instructions in the "Booting SheepShaver and installing the system" section? Or do I necessarily have to start from scratch with a OS9 image that doesn't have a pre-installed system?

Thanks to anyone who provides help for this request.

Sincerely,
Lightning
Last edited by Lightning on Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Help setting up SheepShaver on Sierra to run games/apps

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The OS9 image from Redundant Robot is not an installation disk image, a limited OS9 installation is already installed on it. You can copy the system folder onto the larger disk image and make SheepShaver start up from that image after you removed the OS9 image from the volumes list, but it will stil be an incomplete OS9 installation.

Better download a true installation disk image and use that one. You do not mention your host system, but if you are setting up SheepShaver on OSX, you may have missed this sentence in the setup manual:
A retail international English Mac OS 9.0.4 install CD image can be downloaded from the Macintosh Garden site. On that site search for “Mac OS 9.0.4” and on the Mac OS 9.0.4 page look for the file “MacOS904CD_Intl.ZIP”.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Lightning
Space Cadet

Post by Lightning »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:The OS9 image from Redundant Robot is not an installation disk image, a limited OS9 installation is already installed on it. You can copy the system folder onto the larger disk image and make SheepShaver start up from that image after you removed the OS9 image from the volumes list, but it will stil be an incomplete OS9 installation.

Better download a true installation disk image and use that one. You do not mention your host system, but if you are setting up SheepShaver on OSX, you may have missed this sentence in the setup manual:
A retail international English Mac OS 9.0.4 install CD image can be downloaded from the Macintosh Garden site. On that site search for “Mac OS 9.0.4” and on the Mac OS 9.0.4 page look for the file “MacOS904CD_Intl.ZIP”.
Hey Ronald,

The computer I'm trying to emulate OS9 on is currently running Sierra (10.12.6 to be precise) as noted in the title of the thread. I'm sorry if I didn't clearly state this in the body of my OP.

Also, Thanks for the advice. I've successfully completed a full installation from the 9.0.4 CD image stated above.

However, I'm in need of more help. One of the games I want to run requires that the game CD be present in order to be run.

However, because I'm on Sierra, I cannot use a CD ROM drive per the Setup Instructions I mentioned in my OP.

Can I simply create a Disk Image of the Retail CD Copy of the game that I still have using the instructions found here, and then add the disk image to the preferences of SheepShaver like I did with both the Redundant Robot and 9.0.4 Install disk images during my initial setup?

Thanks,
Lightning
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Lightning wrote:Can I simply create a Disk Image of the Retail CD Copy of the game that I still have using the instructions found here, and then add the disk image to the preferences of SheepShaver like I did with both the Redundant Robot and 9.0.4 Install disk images during my initial setup?
The instructions you found there will create a compressed disk image that SheepShaver will recognise.

Use the instructions in our setup manual to create an image in DVD/CD master format: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... install_cd

When you add that image file to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences, make sure you check the CDROM checkbox for that volume. As always after saving any changes in preferences, quit SheepShaver. At next launch the volume will appear as a CD on the OS9 desktop. The game software will recognise it as the original CD.

Note the known issue with this feature as described in the setup manual: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... own_issues
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: