A possibly more convenient SheepShaver build for macOS

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

emendelson
Forum All-Star

A possibly more convenient SheepShaver build for macOS

Post by emendelson »

I still haven't finished this the way I hope to someday, but maybe someone will find it useful.

This is a slightly modified version of kanjitalk755's code for SheepShaver for macOS:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/SheepShaverEM.zip

You should launch the program first from a folder that has "Mac OS ROM" in it; this will allow the program to launch so that you can edit the preferences from the Preferences pane. You can of course specify any other location for the ROM file in the Preferences pane when it's open.

It differs from the standard build (available from this forum) in these ways:

1. It stores its prefs in a visible file named SheepShaverPrefs.txt, in your user folder. No need to go to the terminal and rename the file or enter terminal commands. Just edit the file in TextEdit.

2. It uses Ctrl-Cmd-Enter to toggle full-screen, Ctrl-Cmd-F5 to capture the mouse, etc., instead of Cmd-Enter, etc. These assignments are listed in the About box, and I use them because some old Mac software uses Cmd-Enter, etc., for built-in purposes.

3. It uses a classic-Mac icon instead of the standard sheep icon.

4. It is codesigned.

I want to add the ability to ZAP the PRAM (which is still a hidden file) from the Preferences screen, but I still haven't worked out how to make this happen, though it seems like a simple task of writing and reading a line like "zap xpram file" from the prefs file and using an already-existing function that zaps the PRAM. Someday I'll get to this, I hope.

Meanwhile, this is here if you want it. If you don't want it or need it or see any point of having it, please don't waste your valuable time posting a message saying that you don't plan to use it - just ignore it entirely.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Re: A possibly more convenient SheepShaver build for macOS

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Very nice. Thank you!
classicmacreborn
Inquisitive Elf

Post by classicmacreborn »

This is nice. Did you modify the SS source to get it to load the custom path for the prefs file?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

prefs_unix.cpp, line 52:

const char PREFS_FILE_NAME[] = "SheepShaverPrefs.txt"; // changed from ".sheepshaver_prefs"

That does the job (and it uses more or less all I know about programming).

If you can figure out how to zap the PRAM from the Preferences pane, please let us know!
classicmacreborn
Inquisitive Elf

Cool!

Well, I'll start with building SS from source, which I have not done yet *palm to forehead*. No promises though, I have a really good feeling I'll get buggered and wind up coming back to it later.

Also, do you happen to know who the main contributors/moderators are for SS's source code? I know one of the major contributors hasn't been active recently.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

The latest builds all use this, from kanjitalk755, who visits this forum and is very quick at solving problems:

https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu

I've modified it to include SDL2 in the codebase, and made my slight modifications described above (search for "emendelson" in the code if you want to undo these):

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macemu-ma ... nji-EM.zip

If you have Xcode installed, just go to SheepShaver->src->MacOSX, double-click on the xcodproj file, and build. It took me forever to learn that the executable gets built in the folder that you can find from the Xcode menu: File->Project Settings, and click on the right-pointing arrow next to the path shown just above the "Advanced..." button. Copy a ROM file into the folder with the executable, and go. (This is on High Sierra with Xcode 9; I think Mojave may need some fixes, and, if so, I'll upload for Mojave instead when I get a chance.)

Please let us know about your fixes. Maybe open a GitHub fork (which I suppose I should do also...)?
classicmacreborn
Inquisitive Elf

Hmm... I'll have to find myself a copy of Xcode 9.4 as the newer versions do not compile 32-bit applications. I don't have an Apple developer account (though maybe I should get one at some point).

Or maybe I'll just have to compile in the terminal. It's worth keeping in mind if someone writes a new "build sheepshaver" tutorial.