No "Browse" button in Prefs editor

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

RatedRKhan
Space Cadet

No "Browse" button in Prefs editor

Post by RatedRKhan »

Im trying to setup an older copy I had of SheepShaver, but there's no "browse" button for me to locate my ROM file or Unix root.

What am I doing wrong?

https://imgur.com/a/AaQnR2x
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: No "Browse" button in Prefs editor

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You are doing nothing wrong. In this older version of the prefs editor you need to enter the path to the files manually. For files that are in the same folder with SheepShaver, the file names will suffice.

Why do you try to use this older version? Newer SheepShaver builds with built-in prefs editor (with Browse buttons) are available that will run in MacOSX 10.4 (Tiger), PPC and Intel.
RatedRKhan
Space Cadet

Post by RatedRKhan »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:You are doing nothing wrong. In this older version of the prefs editor you need to enter the path to the files manually. For files that are in the same folder with SheepShaver, the file names will suffice.

Why do you try to use this older version? Newer SheepShaver builds with built-in prefs editor (with Browse buttons) are available that will run in MacOSX 10.4 (Tiger), PPC and Intel.
I thought I had the new one... I'll try redownloading it and get back with you.
RatedRKhan
Space Cadet

Post by RatedRKhan »

Looks like the SheepShaver application has a preferences within the application, which is what your guide was referring to. Somehow I have a separate preferences editor that does not have the browse feature.The situation seems to have resolved itself.

Thanks for the assist, my friend. Escape Velocity is back, baby!!!
classicmacreborn
Inquisitive Elf

Post by classicmacreborn »

It would be nice if there were a standalone SS prefs editor (is there one already?). Or a prefs swapper/manager. I'm always having to change the drives around because I'm constantly breaking OS9 meddling with system files and have to load the install cd and go back and move everything back around. It's not much of a hassle, but it is for me because I'm having to change it around once a minute sometimes.

Actually the nicest solution would just be to have an entry to choose a mac os install cd. Then you click a checkbox that says "boot next time with install cd" and then boots once and resets the prefs when the application is closed.

Should be pretty easy to implement. Another idea to add to my scrapbook.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The old standalone prefs editor is still available: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... rPrefs.zip
It is a (PPC and 32-bit Intel) "fat" application. Some settings that were introduced later are missing.

A simple way to choose whether or not an image is loaded at startup in SheepShaver, is to move it in the host Finder to a different location or back again. SheepShaver will ignore an invalid path.