Lemmings "error type -39"

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

almeath
Mac Mechanic

Lemmings "error type -39"

Post by almeath »

I am unable to get any version of Lemmings for the Mac working, including the original, Oh No More Lemmings and all the Christmas/Holiday demos and versions. They all work in Mini vMac so I know it is not corrupted files causing the problem.

Every time I open the games they immediately crash with "error type -39".

I even get the crash when I try to "get info" on the applications.

I am using SheepShaver 2.5 (latest build 2 February 2019) and I tried installs of System 7.5.5 and 8.6. I have turned off most extensions and set the screen depth to 256 colors at 640x480.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Lemmings "error type -39"

Post by adespoton »

Are the apps installed on the boot image?
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

adespoton wrote:Are the apps installed on the boot image?
Yes, they are in their respective folders, on the main hard drive image containing the System folder, which is a standard DMG image. They work in Mini vMac under System 7.1, but not in SheepShaver under any System. I ran theses games on my classic Macs up to MacOS 9.x, so I am surprised this is happening.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Is this the same dmg you used under Mini vMac with no modifications? Because that error is:

-39 eof "Err End of file; no additional data in the format"

It usually occurs when the resource fork can't be read, which happens when the fork's been stripped out transferring to a non-HFS filesystem and back. It also can happen when attempting to run software from the host's shared folder, as SheepShaver only sees the data fork sometimes.

Does the software still run in Mini vMac off that DMG? How about in Basilisk II?
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

adespoton wrote:-39 eof "Err End of file; no additional data in the format"

It usually occurs when the resource fork can't be read, which happens when the fork's been stripped out transferring to a non-HFS filesystem and back. It also can happen when attempting to run software from the host's shared folder, as SheepShaver only sees the data fork sometimes.
Thanks. That helped me solve the problem. I was moving the games from the DSK image under Mini vMac into the macOS Unix drive, then moving them into the DMG image used by SheepShaver. This was obviously stripping out the resource forks. By mounting the DSK image under SheepShaver and copying the game folders directly across to the DMG image within SheepShaver, the transfer worked properly and the games launch successfully.

I have previously had no problems with moving files from the Unix drive straight into DMGs under SheepShaver, but this was the first time I tried moving something back from the Mini vMac images to SheepShaver. There must be something about the older HFS formatting on the DSK image (required for Mini vMac compatibility) that causes a problem going back from that format into the Unix/macOS file structure.