Using Keyboard shortcut ?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mamao55
Student Driver

Using Keyboard shortcut ?

Post by mamao55 »

Hi all,
amazing thinking to have my old PPC 8500/180 into a usb stick, incredible what did you do !!!!!!

I'm having a trouble with keyboard, hope to fix it, would be great.
Im using Ubuntu 18.04 and Sheepshaver 2.4 with inside Mac OS8.0.
I didn't have 1 letter (the M) before a nice person in this forum gave me a file X-Org-keycodes where fixed the issue.

Now my trouble is that I can't use the Alt key for copyng file inside the Finder, and this makes me to have a short operant of the system, I really would need .

Is this trouble linked to a SDL Support that in my build is Missed ? How can I fix it ?
What Lib should I install ??

Very much help Appreciated, thanksss!!!!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Using Keyboard shortcut ?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

mamao55 wrote:Now my trouble is that I can't use the Alt key for copyng file inside the Finder
You need the Option/Alt key only when you want to copy (duplicate) a file to a location within the same volume (disk). When you drag a file to a different volume, you do not need the Alt key, drag and drop to a location on a different volume will always result in a copy. As far as I understand what you are trying to do, you do not need the Alt key.

If you want to copy a file to a location within the same volume, you drag the icon while keeping the Alt key pressed. The cursor arrow will get an accompanying "+". Then, while still keeping the Alt key pressed, release the mouse button in the place where you want the copy.

Edit:
amazing thinking to have my old PPC 8500/180 into a usb stick,
How did you put the files on the USB stick? Did you put everything on disk images, as we discussed, or did you archive or encode the files in any other way? If you did not do that, the files wil become damaged and useless for use in SheepShaver when you try to transfer them through your Ubuntu host system.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason:  
mamao55
Student Driver

Post by mamao55 »

Thanks for your answer !!
No, for the keyboard I can use only letters, NO ctrl no alt or no arrows up-down-left-right can be used, Shift OK during text-type.
You told me that I don't have SDL Support that result NONE, is that possible to implement / install ? How ? wich dependency it need ? YES I then used duplicate from the menu to copy my files .

For my PPC 8500, fantastic !!!! I runned this old PC with SHIFT pressed in SAFE MODE, copied the entire HDD with AppleShare via Ethernet into my main Ubuntu 18.04 PC, it took several minutes, then by the copy, I realize that for the entire SYSTEM FOLDER it missed some occupied files, and about some FONTS, FINDER icon, SYSTEM icon, SHARE EXTENSION, and PREFERENCES FINDER, MESSAGES REMOTE ACCESS, ARCHIVE USERS & GRUOPS . After that i created 2 more HDD with fresh install, 1 HD1 I used as Operative System and the other HD2 I mounted with the HD3 of my PPC copied files. Then, while inside the OS, I used to copy the missed files from HD2 to HD3 (my PPC 8500), that's all, I had to have a fresh installed OS HD inactive to get the files I missed in my PPC HD, then I boot from my HD3 PPC and all works fine, I have my PPC 8500/180 into my usb-stick where I installed Ubuntu 18.04.

Thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

mamao55 wrote:No, for the keyboard I can use only letters, NO ctrl no alt or no arrows up-down-left-right can be used, Shift OK during text-type.
You told me that I don't have SDL Support that result NONE, is that possible to implement / install ? How ? wich dependency it need ?
I have no expertise regarding compiling SheepShaver for Ubuntu. Maybe someone else can help you.
mamao55
Student Driver

Post by mamao55 »

Thanks anyway !! I appreciated your help .
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

To get SDL support, search for something like libsdl2-devel in your package manager.

Best,
Cat_7
mamao55
Student Driver

Post by mamao55 »

I installed the lib you mentioned, but didn't work, maybe I did some mistakes by building the sheepshaver, but anyway, I can use duplicate on the menu for copy and that's really fine for me, very very happy with this software !!!
Thanks -- Greetings
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Hm, yes, that may not be very helpful.

Let's try how far you get get with your present build and setup.

1. Make sure that in Keyboard control panel in MacOS9 your Italian keyboard layout is selected.
2. Then choose Key Caps from the Apple menu in MacOS9.

The Key Caps window will show the Italian Mac keyboard. When you press keys on your actual keyboard, you can now see which keys in the emulated Mac are pressed. That way you should be able to find which keys on your keyboard correspond with the Mac keys and possibly also which keys correspond with the Mac modifier keys.

In the Key Caps window the keys at the bottom row are shown blank. They are from left to right:
control - option(alt) - command - space bar - command - option(alt) - control
mamao55
Student Driver

Post by mamao55 »

Yes, as always you are right ! Did like you said and yes, keys are working (except the arrows up-left-right, the down arrow work but in different key position).
My mistake because i didn't think it before but somehow it was obvious that the keys on actual keyboard would replace the same position keys on the old PPC keyboard, that's why i made a picture of the old PPC keyboard as a reference.
Now all Control - alt options and apple command works !!!

Thanks really for all, very very appreciate your help !!!!