Anyone want to add to the Matrix?

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Anyone want to add to the Matrix?

Post by adespoton »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... a2nWC9_t2w

That matrix of Mac emulators has a few missing bits. I haven't added Rhapsody at all, and there are Unknown combinations still for PCE/macplus, MESS/MacII, ShoeBill, Basilisk II, Fusion PC, SoftMac XP, PearPC, QEMU-PPC, VMWare Player, Parallels Desktop as well as some Linux flavours for other VMs.

If anyone can fill in the blanks and add missing emulators, VMs, or OS versions, it would be greatly appreciated. Adding notes for specific emulator versions or OS versions is also useful.
jonirob
Tinkerer

Re: Anyone want to add to the Matrix?

Post by jonirob »

Regarding Rhapsody x86, on Windows 10 DR1 (Grail) will run well in PCem v12 and 86box. On Windows XP, Connectix Virtual PC v4.1 will run it.

DR2 (Titan) will run in the above and VMWare Player, and probably VMWare Fusion, but I've not tried yet.
jonirob
Tinkerer

Post by jonirob »

Beos x86 5.0 Personal Edition works well in PCem v12, though only as a dual boot with Windows 95 or Windows 98, on a FAT32 partition.
galgot
Granny Smith

Post by galgot »

BeOS 5 x86 DevEdition1.1, NetBSD 7.0.2 x86 , Ubuntu 6.0.1 x86 and RedHat 7.1 x86, all these works on VirtualPC 7.0.3 on a PowerBook G4.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hmm... I kind of feel we're drifting the wrong direction here; non-Mac OSes designed to run on non-Mac hardware emulated on an older Mac isn't quite the target.

Any word on OSes running on emulators emulating an actual Mac environment? I'd remove VirtualPC from the list altogether except that there are some dev, pre and related OSes that only seem to run on it.
galgot
Granny Smith

Post by galgot »

Or limit your list to only Apple made OSes…
Cause if you include all OSes capable of running on VirtualBox (or VMWare, or Parallels, VirtualPC…) on the same grid, that’s a lot, and doesn’t make it very clear what you want.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yes, but then we'd miss out on BeOS and NeXTStep both of which are heavy influencers of OS X; we'd also miss NetBSD which was the contender against m68kLinux on 68K Macs and MKLinux on PPC Macs.

But if you guys are finding it getting confusing at the fringes there, I'm more than happy to trim things back. Sticking with Apple OSes does make sense.

What I'm trying to do with the matrix is list out how to run the old OSes that we used to actually run on Mac hardware that can now be run under emulation to support old workflows/software/etc.
galgot
Granny Smith

Post by galgot »

What i would suggest then, is to put all Apple OSes + NeXT systems (was bought by Apple, so afterall, it's Apple now...), PPC and Intel ;
And for other OSes, limit them to PPC distros, meaning it could run on true PPC hardware, and if used on Mac Intel, it's true emulation of what would run on a PPC.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I agree; making the change.

[edit] I made a compromise for now; how does the current breakout look to others?
jonirob
Tinkerer

Post by jonirob »

On the subject of NeXTStep, NeXTStep 3.3 x86 runs well in VMWare Player and 68K versions 0.8 through to 3.3 plus OpenStep all run in the Previous Emulator.