SheepShaver starts and freezes with black screen

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

roger_widmer
Space Cadet

SheepShaver starts and freezes with black screen

Post by roger_widmer »

Hi
SheepShaver (2.5) properly worked in Sierra but since today MacOS 9 (9.04) doesn't start (no start up screen). There is only a black screen, SheepShaver can't be finished und must be force quit. The problem also exists with SheepShaver_2.5_20190224.
Thank you for your answer, I'm very happy with SheepShaver!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver starts and freezes with black screen

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I don't think I ever saw SheepShaver open with a black screen and stay there.

You could try to delete the nvram file. That can be done with the script "Zap PRAM" in the "SheepShaver scripts" folder. Do you still have those scripts in your SheepShaver folder?
roger_widmer
Space Cadet

Post by roger_widmer »

Thank you for our answer! I have the scripts in the "Sheep Shaver scripts" folder. I started the "Zap PRAM" script (and the "Delete Prefs File" script) already before and once again. Unfortunately the problem still exists.
When Sheep Shaver starts and the black screen appears, I still can make changes in the preferences. It seems, that Sheep Shaver didn't crash, but Mac OS 9 doesn't start and Sheep Shaver can only be quit by force quit.
I use an older Mac mini (mid 2010) with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 8 GB RAM. Just before the problem appeard, i made an update for iPhoto and I plugged in a new presenter (Canon, no software installed).
On my MacBook Pro (Intel i5 processor; Sierra) I have no problems with SheepShaver.
I would be very happy, if you could help me!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Have you tried restarting your Mini? It's possible there's a memory location conflict caused by the update.
roger_widmer
Space Cadet

Post by roger_widmer »

I could solve the problem by a new installation of sierra. I'm happy! :smile:
Can I make a donation? How?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Donation to what?

ClockWise may take donations for keeping this site up, but he sure doesn't advertise it. I'm pretty sure none of us regulars take donations; the GitHub repository doesn't take donations and the original developers have long moved on. Kanjitalk may take donations, but he's only one of the people who have been pitching in.

Best way to donate is with time to test things instead of with money :) None of this is financially motivated.