Tiger Installation Help

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

CamSox
Student Driver

Tiger Installation Help

Post by CamSox »

Hello all,
I'm trying to run Mac OS Tiger on QEMU, but it keeps on displaying the "No valid state has been set by load or init-program" warning. I think the boot image of Tiger might have been corrupted when I tried converting it from .dmg to .iso. I used Disk Utility to convert it to a .cdr, then I changed the extension to .iso. Is this what's causing the problem? If so, how would I convert it properly/find Tiger images online? Here's whats in my qemu-command:

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99 -m 512 -cpu G4 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=Tiger1.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=Tiger.img,format=raw,media=disk -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -net user -net nic,model=sungem

Thank you in advance!
CamSox
Elyus
Tinkerer

Re: Tiger Installation Help

Post by Elyus »

I had the same issue when installing Tiger a while back. When you make the disc image, you'll want to use DVD/CD Master directly (.cdr) rather than a .dmg. Additionally, take note of this step Ronald described when he encountered the same issue:
Ronald P. Regensburg: For creating the CD image in OSX Disk Utility: The first time I selected the CD volume in the left column in Disk Utility (as I normally do) but this time I selected the CD drive.
Edit: I'm not sure about Apple's stance on Tiger support, but I believe the Macintosh Garden provides some CD or DVD images of Tiger installers. That may be an alternative if you continue to have Disk Utility woes.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Qemu might be able to read your dmg directly. Please try that first:
,format=dmg,media=cdrom

If your image still will not work, find a 10.4.6 dvd image at the macintoshgarden.
That image boots with:
-drive file=Tiger_4_6.dmg,format=dmg,media=cdrom

Best,
Cat_7
CamSox
Student Driver

Post by CamSox »

Thank you both for your suggestions, they worked!