Switching from COI 4.0.1 to SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ulky
Space Cadet

Switching from COI 4.0.1 to SheepShaver

Post by ulky »

Hello,
I would like to switch from COI 4.0.1 to SheepShaver 2.4 without re-installing my OS9-400 MB-Disk.
If this is possible - what do I have to do? (A screenshot is provided here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4pamka9bwn7i ... t.jpg?dl=0 )
(I did read the forum-correspondence with user victor46542)
I hope this would be easier than to reinstall all my OS9-Stuff and that I can use the SheepShaver-Prefs
after switching ...
I am using OSX 10.6.8 now, but I want to change to a second Mac with OSX 10.9.5.
many thanks in advance ...
ulky
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Switching from COI 4.0.1 to SheepShaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You will need the disk image files you now use and then you can easily set up SheepShaver. There are different ways to get the OS9 disk image ("Classic HD") that is hidden inside COI.
(Maybe better to copy the content of that only 100MB image to a larger image, but that is something to discuss later.)

First this question: So far you only use the 400 MB image of the three additional image files that are provided with COI?
ulky
Space Cadet

Post by ulky »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: (Maybe better to copy the content of that only 100MB image to a larger image, but that is something to discuss later.)
First this question: So far you only use the 400 MB image of the three additional image files that are provided with COI?
Yes, the 400MB is the only drive-image I use.
The ClassicHD-Drive has only 8,6MB empty space left.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Getting the content of the startup disk on a larger volume is something we can discuss later. Let us first move your stuff to a regular SheepShaver setup.

1. You need to get the startup image from within COI:

- Right-click (or control-click) on the 'COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny"' icon in the Finder.
- Choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu.
..... You will now see a Finder window containing a file "COI" (which is really a package) and a folder "Contents".
- Launch Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/).
- At the prompt in Terminal type

Code: Select all

cd
and a space (do not forget the space and do not yet hit return!).
- Drag the COI icon from the Finder into the Terminal window.
..... The path to the COI package will appear after cd.
- With the Terminal window in front, hit return.
- Then, at the new prompt, type in Terminal:

Code: Select all

cp .Classic.dmg ~/Desktop/MacOS9.dsk
followed by a return.
..... A copy of the COI startup disk image will appear on your desktop with the name "MacOS9.dsk".

2. Search the web for "redundant robot sheepshaver" (without the quotes). On the Redundant Robot site, find the "New World PPC ROM" download link. Get that file and rename it "Mac OS ROM" (without the quotes and without a file name extension). Check in Finder Info for the file that it has indeed no file name extension.

3. Download the recommended SheepShaver build from this sticky topic in the SheepShaver forum: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=7360
You can place the SheepShaver folder anywhere you like.

4. Use the scripts in that folder to delete both the prefs file and the nvram file. (After this you should not launch COI anymore, because that will again create those files with content that is specific to COI.)

5. Move both the "MacOS9.dsk" image file (from your desktop) and the "400Meg.dmg" image file (from /Users/Shared), as well as the "Mac OS ROM" file, into the SheepShaver folder.

6. Create a folder (you can give it any name you like) that will be your future SheepShaver shared folder. Create that folder in a convenient location that can be easily accessed (like on your desktop). Move from the /Users/Shared/ folder the folder "Desktop Folder" and possible other files or folders you used for SheepShaver in your previous shared folder/Unix disk (other than the 400Meg volume) to the newly created folder.

Now you are ready to configure SheepShaver. See the setup manual:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup

- Read the Introduction, it contains useful information.
- You can skip the first part of "Setting up SheepShaver" until "Configuring SheepShaver".
- Follow the instructions for configuring SheepShaver with one exception:
After adding the ROM file, you are instructed under "Volumes" to create a disk image file "MacOS9". Instead, you add your two existing image files using the Add button. First you add MacOS9.dsk and then you add 400Meg.dmg. The result should be that in the volumes list MacOS9.dsk appears on the first line and 400Meg.dmg appears on the second line.
- Proceed with setting your new shared folder as "Unix Root" and follow further instructions.
- After "7. Quit SheepShaver" you are ready. You can skip "Booting SheepShaver and installing the system". When you now launch SheepShaver, you will see the desktop as it appeared in COI.
- Read the information in "Running Mac OS in SheepShaver" and below. It contains useful information.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason:  
ulky
Space Cadet

Post by ulky »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Getting the content of the startup disk on a larger volume is something we can discuss later.
On the Redundant Robot site, find the "New World PPC ROM" download link.
Hello Ronald,
thank you very much for your help. I did all as you told me and now Sheepshaver is working fine ;-)
One little irritation: the ROM-image I've found is named: "newworld86.rom" - is this the right one?

Some short questions:
1. Is there a way to use my trackpad in the same way as I do it in OSX ? (on my old PB there was
a trackpad control panel)
2. Can I use a floppy-disk-drive (via USB) - or is the way via the shared folder recommended?
3. Are there any restrictions for adding fonts (truetype) ?
4. Can you tell me how to enlarge my startup-disk?

Many thanks again
and
schoene Gruesse aus Frankfurt im Schnee
Ulrich
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

ulky wrote:One little irritation: the ROM-image I've found is named: "newworld86.rom" - is this the right one?
That is the right file. The link is called "New World PPC ROM", the file is "newworld86.rom".

1. You can try. Your trackpad may be seen by SheepShaver as a mouse. SheepShaver sees mice and other similar input devices on the host machine as a pre-USB ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) mouse. SheepShaver is unaware of USB.

2. SheepShaver will not see a USB-connected drive. If you need individual files from floppies, you can copy them to the shared folder*. If you want to see the floppy disk as such, you can use DiskUtility in OSX to make a disk image from the mounted disk (make sure to choose read/write for the format!) and add the image to the volumes list on SheepShaver preferences.
* Read the setup guide about the use of the shared folder, specifically with respect to applications.

3. You can add any font that is compatible with OS9. Drag the font file in SheepShaver onto the System Folder and it will be installed automatically.

4. Enlarging the startup disk can be done by copying its content to a larger volume:

- Tidy up the SheepShaver desktop, put all loose files and folders on the 400Meg disk
- In the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences, create a larger volume, for instance 1 or 2 GB (1000 or 2000 MB) in size.
- Remove the "400Meg.dmg" volume from the volumes list (you will add it again later)
- Shut down SheepShaver and start it again.
- Allow the new volume to be initialized. In the dialog, choose an appropriate name for the volume and choose Mac OS Extended for the format.
- Copy all files and folders from the Classic HD volume to the new larger volume
- When the copy is complete, check whether the System Folder on the new volume shows its System Folder icon. If it only shows a generic folder icon, open the folder so the Finder can "see" the "System" and "Finder" files inside. That way the folder will obtain its icon. (This is called "blessing" the System Folder.)
- In the volumes list in preferences, remove the original "MacOS9.dsk" volume, so SheepShaver can start up from the copied system, and add again "400Meg.dmg".
The new volume is now on the first line in the list and "400Meg.dmg" is again on the second line.
- Shut down SheepShaver and start it again.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
ulky
Space Cadet

Post by ulky »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: 1. You can try. Your trackpad may be seen by SheepShaver as a mouse. SheepShaver sees mice and other similar input devices on the host machine as a pre-USB ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) mouse. SheepShaver is unaware of USB.
3. You can add any font that is compatible with OS9. Drag the font file in SheepShaver onto the System Folder and it will be installed automatically.
4. Enlarging the startup disk can be done by copying its content to a larger volume:
Thank you.
1. Yes, my trackpad is seen as a mouse. But it behaves different, i.e. right click (2-finger gesture) doesn't work and it works more sluggish. Inside OS9 I can't change mouse behaviour (i.e. speed) with the mouse-control panel.
3. I have old RagTime-docs and -forms which use special fonts. Converting these docs to a newer version of RagTime which runs under OSX doesn't work properly. What is the easiest way to generate printable PDFs? I tried via PDF-print on OS9, but to print this PDFs in OSX I need the same fonts in OSX. Is there a way to exchange fonts between OS9 + OSX?
4. I'll try this later and let you know.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Settings in Mouse control panel do not work. Mouse behavior in SheepShaver follows mouse settings (and possibly some of the trackpad settings) in the OSX host. Most gestures will not work.

There is a tutorial for printing from SheepShaver and BasiliskII with several options: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... k_printing

The options 2, 3, and 5 will provide the best results. Personally I like option 3. It will directly provide a PDF preview in OSX Preview. You can then decide what you want to do with it, save the PDF, print it, or both.

Better start with option 2, which is easier to set up. You can later extend the setup to option 3.
(In later OSX versions, the Desktop printer does not remember a default output location in a folder in "Unix". You will need to choose the location in the Save dialog each time, or you can decide to save the file in "Unix" itself.)

If you have the needed fonts installed in OS9, you do not need them in OSX for printing. The fonts that are used will be embedded in PostScript file and PDF file if you use these methods. (Unlike PDFs produced by, for instance, the "PrintToPDF" extension.)

You will need to install the Desktop Printer Utility in MacOS9. It is available in a full OS9 installation, but probably not in the limited system that came with COI. Link to get it also in the tutorial.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
ulky
Space Cadet

Post by ulky »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: There is a tutorial for printing from SheepShaver and BasiliskII with several options: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... k_printing
You will need to install the Desktop Printer Utility in MacOS9. It is available in a full OS9 installation, but probably not in the limited system that came with COI. Link to get it also in the tutorial.
Thank you - that sounds good - but the link to the Desktop Printer Utility leads to nirwana - is there any other place to find it?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Hm, yes, who needs this old software nowadays. All the old links disappear one by one.

Here you can download the LaserWriter 8.6 software which includes the Desktop Printer Utility. It should work in MacOS9: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1247

After downloading and decoding the LW_8.6.smi.bin file, you get a LW_8.6.smi file (smi = self mounting image). It will only work in OS9 and, as it is an application, you will need to copy it first from "Unix" to one of the other drives. Double-clicking the file will mount the disk it contains. On it is the installer.

Note that the installer will probably install earlier versions of some extensions that are already in the System Folder because a regular OS9 installation contains a later version of the LaserWriter software. As far as I can tell it will work nevertheless.

(Working with a full OS9 installation, preferably MacOS 9.0.4, instead of only the System Folder, would of course be better. It would contain all needed files.)
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
ulky
Space Cadet

Post by ulky »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: (Working with a full OS9 installation, preferably MacOS 9.0.4, instead of only the System Folder, would of course be better. It would contain all needed files.)
Many thanks again for your help. I did install ATM for the PS-Fonts too and now PDF-generating via Desktop Printer Utility works fine. It was the first time I used a folder action setup.

A full OS9 Installation ... I've found two Apple CD-ROMS from April 2000: "Software-Installation & Software-Restore for PowerBook" - it is OS 9.0.4. Does it make sense to use them ? Will they work with Sheepshaver ?

You said: "SheepShaver will not see a USB-connected drive" - but it works very well with an USB-connected CD-ROM-drive. Thats why I've thougt that an USB-Floppy should work too. Is it a problem of a missing driver ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

A Mac-model specific install CD may work, often it does not. And when it works, the resulting MacOS installation may not be fully functional. The only install CDs (or image of such a CD) that we recommend are general retail install disks, not disks that were provided with a Mac. A retail MacOS 9.x CD has a white label with large yellow "9" on it. CDs that were provided with a specific Mac usually have a grey label.

SheepShaver sees CDs that are mounted in OSX. But that is true for CD-ROMs only (not other CD formats or DVDs or other disks) and SheepShaver is unaware of how the CD drive is connected. This works up to OSX 10.7. OSX 10.8 and later prevent using physical CD-ROMs in SheepShaver (see also the setup guide).

Edit: The limitations stem from the way SheepShaver is programmed, it has nothing to do with drivers.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Hawkenstein
Student Driver

Post by Hawkenstein »

I'm a little confused about step 4.
Use the scripts in that folder to delete both the prefs file and the nvram file. (After this you should not launch COI anymore, because that will again create those files with content that is specific to COI.)
I don't know where to find the scripts or the prefs/ nvram files.

What I was able to do was make a new folder and put SheepShaver.app (v2.5), the Mac OS ROM and the MacOS9.dsk in it. Then I made another folder and in it i put the desktop folder and all the other relevant folders from /Users/Shared.

P.s. Thanks for being so patience with me. I appreciate it.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Hawkenstein wrote:I don't know where to find the scripts or the prefs/ nvram files.
As I mentioned in the other thread, the SheepShaver application and the SheepShaver folder are now separate downloads. Both links can be found in the same place. The scripts are in the SheepShaver folder.

The prefs and nvram files are hidden files in your Home folder. The scripts will find them.
What I was able to do was make a new folder and put SheepShaver.app (v2.5), the Mac OS ROM and the MacOS9.dsk in it.
The files should be in the downloaded SheepShaver folder..
Then I made another folder and in it i put the desktop folder and all the other relevant folders from /Users/Shared.
Put that folder in a convenient location, a location where you can access the folder easily, and name it Shared (or other name of your choosing). That folder will be the shared folder that is described in the setup guide.
Hawkenstein
Student Driver

Post by Hawkenstein »

Ok, I downloaded the official SheepShaver folder. Then transferred the SheepShaver.app, Mac OS ROM and MacOS9.dsk into it.

But when i try to run the scripts i get this error message:
"“Delete Prefs File.app” (or "Zap PRAM.app") is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash."

Not sure what i'm doing wrong.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You are not doing anything wrong. Somehow, after uploading and downloading and decompressing the archive, the scripts appear to be corrupted. I will try to find a solution.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Well it is a mystery. Could it be a new security feature in Mojave that prevents such scripts to run if the are obtained from an internet download?

In the meantime, you can remove the prefs and nvram files manually:

- Open your Home folder
- Hit shift-command-. (shift-command-dot)
Most hidden files will now be visible
- Look for these two files and trash them (the file names start with a dot):
.sheepshaver_prefs
.sheepshaver_nvram

- Again use shift-command-. to make the hidden files invisible again.