Uncompressed Files?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

mandybemulating
Student Driver

Uncompressed Files?

Post by mandybemulating »

Hi there! Pretty new to Mac emulation, but I managed to get Basilisk II up and running and a bunch of old games installed. However, in addition to the abandonware I've been able to dig up online, I also have a disc filled with old games and software I'd like to be able to access... however, it's all just applications that were copy-pasted to a CD-R years ago, already installed, and NOT compressed using StuffIt.

Is there any way for me to get Basilisk to recognize this software? Could I somehow compress it within the emulated OS? Or do I need the help of someone who has a working classic Mac to compress them for me? I have some old World Builder games I'd like to submit to Macintosh Garden, because as far as I can tell they've been totally wiped from the internet and have been unavailable for many years.

Any help much appreciated. Thank you!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Uncompressed Files?

Post by adespoton »

If you've got it on a CD-R, just image the CD-R and add the disk image to the list of images in the prefs. It'll load when the OS boots, and you can copy the contents to a writeable image for use.
mandybemulating
Student Driver

What format do I want the image to be in, . ISO?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

ISO is fine.
I would recommend IMGBurn for Windows, if you are on Windows.
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/imgburn-250

On a side note, Basilisk II Build 142 does read Mac CDs oob, given you have a Windows 32bit host around.
SheepShaver on 64bit Windows got this feature added again too, some time ago.
mandybemulating
Student Driver

Yeah I don't have a 32-bit machine laying around, I'm afraid. I tried making an .ISO and adding it to the prefs file - it mounted okay but it seemed to think it was an audio CD with one track? It's definitely a data disc.

Looks like the disc was originally burned in OSX - not sure if that makes any difference. I didn't get the chance to mount the ISO in Windows first and see if it also read it as audio, will try that tonight.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The imaging software you used might not understand Mac CD formats. Imgburn always seems to work for me.
mandybemulating
Student Driver

I made a separate .ISO with ImgBurn and got the same result. Both .ISOs mount just fine to Windows. :sad:
mandybemulating
Student Driver

Two other questions in case I can't figure this out:
A) is there any other recourse other than this whole disc image thing?
B) If I put these files on a machine running OS X would I be able to compress it into a format Basilisk could use?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

A Mac HFS CD did never mount in Windows, as the file system is unknown in Windows.
The same is true for ISO images of Mac HFS CDs.
If your CD is not HFS but ISO 9660, Windows, MacOS and Unix should read it.
Hard to tell what the creator of the CD has had in mind when burning the files to CD. ;)

If your CD mounts in OSX, you may of course copy parts of it to your shared folder.
From there, copy the files in question to your emulated Macs HD and create .SIT files from them with StuffIt.

Stuffit in OSX may be an option too.
Some Stuffit versions - I think up to 10 or 11 had an option to create legacy archives .SIT.
Such legacy archives where usable with Stuffit 7 in MacOS IIRC.

In OSX you may create a master disk image from the CD with DiskUtility.
Choose CD/DVD Master as output, that way you should obtain a .CDR image which is mountable via the Basilisk volumes GUI.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If the CD isn't a Mac HFS disk, then the problem is that your BII OS can't read it properly.

Unfortunately, this also means that it may not have the file metadata and resource forks stored correctly, and so may be useless.

But if it does, the following tools and extensions loaded onto your BII OS might help:

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mt-everything-155

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/joliet-volume-access
mandybemulating
Student Driver

24bit wrote:A Mac HFS CD did never mount in Windows, as the file system is unknown in Windows.
The same is true for ISO images of Mac HFS CDs.
If your CD is not HFS but ISO 9660, Windows, MacOS and Unix should read it.
Hard to tell what the creator of the CD has had in mind when burning the files to CD. ;)

If your CD mounts in OSX, you may of course copy parts of it to your shared folder.
From there, copy the files in question to your emulated Macs HD and create .SIT files from them with StuffIt.

Stuffit in OSX may be an option too.
Some Stuffit versions - I think up to 10 or 11 had an option to create legacy archives .SIT.
Such legacy archives where usable with Stuffit 7 in MacOS IIRC.

In OSX you may create a master disk image from the CD with DiskUtility.
Choose CD/DVD Master as output, that way you should obtain a .CDR image which is mountable via the Basilisk volumes GUI.
So if the correct resource forks are missing, as adespoton suggests below, would any of the above fix that or am I out of luck?
mandybemulating
Student Driver

Other quick question - don't I need DropStuff to create a .SIT? Or is StuffIt Expander capable?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If the resource forks and file metadata are missing, you'll only be able to recover files that are purely data, and it'll possibly require a bit of work to do so, including manually adding file types and creators to the individual documents.

To compress files, you'll need DropStuff or Stuffit. Expander by itself won't do what you need.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

@ mandybemulating:
Could you eventually upload the ISO created with IMGBurn to MEGA or similar?
Given that IMGBurn finished its job without error you should have gotten something usable (hopefully).
The ISO image would provide common grounds for us.
Trying to guess whats wrong with your CD, is like poking in the fog. :)
mandybemulating
Student Driver

.zip of the .ISO https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqs2108ydqecc ... k.zip?dl=0

The files in question are in Classic > WB Games > ANYTHING "Ryan Dow" folder or in Game Design > Story Maker.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The ISO you made is readable fine on my side with Mojave. Thanks for sharing!
As you will notice, the ISO holds a HFS Extended container, so it will be useless with MacOS lower than 8.0.

If you wish, I´ll upload the Ryan Dow part or the WB folder to a Macintoshgarden page as img.sit.
Someone else should try the games and add some helpful description in that case. ;)
Alas, I´m somewhat clueless what to add to the already existing pages.
http://macintoshgarden.org/engine/world-builder
http://macintoshgarden.org/games/storymaker

mandybemulating
Student Driver

For StoryMaker, I just want to be able to run the application and play the saved game that's in there. Totally happy to let you add the Ryan Dow stuff - but I'm confused - what might other people be able to do with those files that we can't? Sounds like they're just unusable.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

mandybemulating wrote:what might other people be able to do with those files that we can't? Sounds like they're just unusable.
If I follow this correctly, now that the files have been copied off the CD using a version of MacOS later than 8.0, they will work fine anywhere. And the CD will also work correctly as-is in BasiliskII if it is running MacOS 8.0 or 8.1.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yes; the issue is that the CD is formatted HFS+, which isn't 68K Mac compatible. It does, however, retain all the resource forks and metadata. So nothing's lost on there, just in a format unique to Mac OS 8.6 - macOS 10.15.

Someone could probably copy everything off onto a Mac and then run HFS Disk Maker to create a new HFS disk image containing the contents. That new image would be mountable on BII.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The idea of Macintoshgarden is preserving anything for Mac in the first place.
I´m no gamer, so sorting out things is terra incognita for me. :)

As for the Storymaker files, please feel free to try this DL.
https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/w44sJZ6r
Its a DisKCopy 6 image compressed in macOS, hope it will work on your side.
The IMG file can be added to the emulators "volumes" tab to mount.
mandybemulating
Student Driver

Ahhh gotcha! So if I run MacOS 8 in Basilisk, I should be able to mount the ISO? And from there I need to be able to compress the files?
mandybemulating
Student Driver

24bit wrote:The idea of Macintoshgarden is preserving anything for Mac in the first place.
I´m no gamer, so sorting out things is terra incognita for me. :)

As for the Storymaker files, please feel free to try this DL.
https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/w44sJZ6r
Its a DisKCopy 6 image compressed in macOS, hope it will work on your side.
The IMG file can be added to the emulators "volumes" tab to mount.
Oh my god it worked! Thank you so much! Are you able to do the same thing for the Ryan Dow games? Just .IMG them? I can take it from there in that case!

Edit: Oops, need the James Waller games too. Apparently one of them is one of the games Macintoshgarden is looking for :eek:
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

No problem, here is a zipped img of the complete WB folder:
https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/zq4MpyBs

Otherwise, you may mount your ISO image with Basilisk MacOS 8.1, if need should be. ;)

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

mandybemulating wrote:Ahhh gotcha! So if I run MacOS 8 in Basilisk, I should be able to mount the ISO? And from there I need to be able to compress the files?
If you run Mac OS 8.1 in Basilisk, it should be able to mount the ISO. Possibly. HFS+ changed a fair bit between the version in 8.1 and the version in 10.14.