app can't run on pc

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

app can't run on pc

Post by starfiretbt »

My computer is saying basiliskiigui can’t run on my pc. Is there a newer version? I am running on windows 10 64-bit. I have tried...

1. Running in compatibility mode under Windows 8
2. Disabling smartscreen
3. Enabling app side-loading (I think I did)

Also if I move my Basilisk folder somewhere else on my computer it won't run, I think it has to do with certain files necessary for the program to run being moved and other programs can't find them. How can I move Basilisk to more convenient locations?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: app can't run on pc

Post by adespoton »

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I set up my basilisk II years ago on another computer. When I got a new computer I moved the file to the new computer. However the GUI still worked on my new computer, it just hasn't for about a year (or at least that's when the file was last modified).

As for my basilisk not working if I move it I think I remember when my GUI worked some files needed to run Basilisk were identified at a specific location and my question for that is how do I move Basilisk and still get it working.

Are you saying from your post I need to re-setup basilisk?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Which version did you move to your new PC?
Build 142 should work after a move, given all paths are still the same. (which they are not, usually)

Newer Basilisk builds will at least need the GTK runtime installation.
Some pristine W10 installations may need additional (old) frameworks being installed to run Basilisk II or the BII GUI.
I seem to recall that Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 (or lower) was a missing piece for one of my W10 PCs.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I'm not familiar with what you mean by build, I just know that if I move the basilisk folder or change the name of the folder it says it can't find the rom file. I think the solution might be in the GUI but my pc won't open it.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The GUI is not stricktly needed to configure BasiliskII.

There should be a file called BasiliskII_prefs in your folder.
Open the file with Notepad. You will see the paths to the old location of some files.
Adjust those paths to the new locations for the disk and rom file.

Save the file and start BasiliskII.exe

Best,
Cat_7
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

That worked, I can rename and move my basilisk folder. I still would love to access my GUI file to do things such as arrange hard drives and edit Basilisk, for example I currently have "my pc" accessible from Basilisk and I was once told that is a bad idea.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hard drives can be arranged by ordering them in the prefs file, access to your Windows disk can be set after the "enableextfs" keyword. If true, access is provided, if false there is no access.
Which drives are accessible is set with "extdrives", if you add/remove disks mentioned there, access will be lost/set (if enableextfs is true).

Getting the GUI to work means installing the gtk-2 runtime. If you already have that installed for some other application, it might be it is the wrong version. Otherwise, it might also be that the paths to the various components of the GTK are not correct.

Best,
Cat_7
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

So your saying I need to install the right version of gtk to get the GUI to work? I just tried to reinstall the version I had and that failed so what is the correct version?
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

starfiretbt wrote:I just tried to reinstall the version I had and that failed so what is the correct version?
Are you using 2.10.13 from https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup ?
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

yes