A standalone BasiliskII/System 7.6.1 system for the Mac

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

A standalone BasiliskII/System 7.6.1 system for the Mac

Post by emendelson »

I've recently updated a complete standalone system that I put together that runs System 7.6.1 in BasiliskII on the Mac, and needs no setup. You simply download it and run it.

Because it contains a complete copy of US English System 7.6.1, the forum rules forbid a direct link here, but you can find it on the same page where you can find my similar MacOS9 system; the best way is to search for

Mac OS 9 for OS X/MacOS

and find the link for the System761 system on the same page.

Some features:

You can drop a file on the app, and it will be copied to the BasiliskII desktop. You can copy files from the BasiliskII system to the host desktop by dropping the file on the "Copy to Host" script on the BasiliskII desktop. Of course, you can also use the Unix folder in the usual way; the Unix folder is the same as your macOS Documents folder.

You can print to the default macOS (host) printer, or any macOS printer, or you can create a PDF on the host desktop.

By holding down the Option key when the application launches, you can find a menu of customization options, including one that adds or removes disk images from the system.

If you want to mount one or more disk images in order to install some software, create a folder named "System761 Disks" (no quotation marks) in your macOS home folder and copy the disk images into them. They will be mounted automatically on the BasiliskII desktop. When you don't want to use them any longer, either move them out of the System761 Disks folder or rename the folder.

This isn't perfect; it comes with absolutely no support. But it runs under Catalina, and will save you the trouble of installing your own system. On the other hand, if you install your own system, you will get exactly what you need instead of the system that I put together.

If you don't like it or don't want to use it, please do not waste your valuable time (and don't waste forum bandwidth) by posting a message saying that you don't want to use it. Just don't use it. It's much faster and easier than posting a message saying that you don't want to use it.

PS If Apple doesn't approve of my posting System 7.6.1, they know where to find me.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: A standalone BasiliskII/System 7.6.1 system for the Mac

Post by emendelson »

I've now made some improvements to this system.

The default disk image now has 3.2 GB available for adding programs, etc., which I hope will be adequate for most purposes.

If 3.2 GB isn't enough, then hold down the Option key when the system starts up and choose the option to Enable/Disable the built-in second disk image. If you choose the option to Enable the built-in second disk image, then a second disk image will be mounted, with 3.7 GB available - a total of almost 7 GB of space for programs and data.

The second disk image is a 4 GB sparsebundle, which occupies only 26 MB in the application because the sparsebundle format is so efficient.

Enabling/disabling the second disk is a per-user option. If you're using this app in a multi-user system, each user will have to enable the second disk if they want to use it.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I've now notarized this system so it can run on Catalina after you click OK on a couple of messages from the OS asking you to give the app permission to do various things.

The first time you run the app you may see error messages in BasiliskII about the boot disk being locked and ATM being damaged. Ignore the error message; shut down the app; then run it again and the messages will not reappear. If you don't see the error messages, then don't worry about it.

If you have a multi-user system, then each user should keep a copy of the app in their own user folder; if the app is in the Applications folder in a multi-user system, it will only be usable by the user who downloaded it and copied it into the Applications folder. If, on the other hand, you're the only user on your Mac, you can put the app into the Applications folder.

Thanks to Ronald, who mentioned to me that Apple had temporarily lightened the notarization requirements. (SheepShaver can't be notarized until some major changes get made to the code, but BasiliskII can be notarized.)
miamistax
Space Cadet

Post by miamistax »

May all the old gods smile down on you. Basilisk II is 32 bit and will die if/when I install Catalina, but your Sheepshaver Mac OS 9.0 shows as 64 bit in System Report and I could slide my ancient copy of Deadlock over.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Our current BasiliskII builds for macOS are 64-bit. Only the GUI application is still 32-bit.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

And the system that this thread is about is 64-bit ready and doesn't need or use the GUI. As the opening message says, it runs under Catalina.