Question about the different systems Basilisk II can emulate

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Guizin239
Space Cadet

Question about the different systems Basilisk II can emulate

Post by Guizin239 »

In the official Basilisk II website, one of the listed features claims BasiliskII can emulate a Mac Classic and run MacOS 0.x thru 7.5
I have had no success in making it run the older systems. What exactly am I doing wrong? It says the system software does not run on this computer, and that I should use a newer version
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Question about the different systems Basilisk II can emu

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

- Which is your host system?
- Which BasiliskII version or build do you run?
- Which GUI settings for "Mac Model ID" and "CPU Type" do you use?
- Which "older systems" did your try in BasiliskII?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You are not doing anything wrong, the information you found is seriously outdated.
Basilisk does no longer support Mac OS below version 7.x

Use Mini vMac to emulate the older systems.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The information is more than seriously outdated; it was never correct. The ancient monolithic builds of Basilisk II only ran System 6.0.5 and later IIRC; there were plans to make it run previous versions, but the hardware support was never added -- instead, the project went through a re-design and System 7.0 on a Performa-series Mac was chosen as the lowest reference combination.

[edit] I just thought of something: has anyone attempted to install 6.0.8L on BII? I haven't, but the entire point of 6.0.8L was to make a version of 6 that's compatible with the Classic II -- which was also known as the Performa 200.

6.0.8L should run on the Classic, Classic II, LC 550 TV, Performa 200, Performa 275, Performa 550, Performa 560, Macintosh Portable (backlit), PowerBook 100, Macintosh LC, LC II, Performa 400, Performa 405, Performa 410 and Performa 430.

If someone doesn't get to it before me, I'm going to try and run 6.0.8L on BII; currently, I have a custom Classic build of Mini vMac I use for it.

https://github.com/cebix/macemu/blob/2e ... atches.cpp indicates that one of these hardware configs *should* work with the appropriate ROM and 6.0.8L.

But then, that patches file also references all hardware back to the 128k Mac, so YMMV.

[edit2] I've updated https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... -Dk7QDyKPY to more clearly identify which ROMs are compatible with BII.