Basilisk II GUI native to OS X/macOS

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Basilisk II OS X native GUI with presets

Poll ended at Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:16 am

Thanks, yes please!
75%
Thanks for your work but not interested
13%
Undecided
13%

Total votes: 8
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Basilisk II GUI native to OS X/macOS

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

munkymajic wrote:Could you please send me a screenshot of the disk volumes and hardware tabs too?
Sent in a PM.
adespoton wrote:Anyway, let me know if you want me to dig up the 78 icon. It looks essentially the same.
In case you cannot find them, I drew a couple of matching icons, one for BasiliskII itself and one for the GUI. These are the 128x128 icons.

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I ended up with a busy weekend; that top one looks essentially the same as what I had though; mine just had the numbers slightly smaller than the rectangle. But I like that version better :)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

adespoton wrote:But I like that version better :)
Maybe it is my less than perfect understanding of English, but does "that version" refer to your version or to my version?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Sorry; my response was based on some of the more obscure contextual nuances of English. I prefer your version :)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Thanks! :smile:
(I was not sure because of apparent subtle differences between Dutch and English about when to use "this" or when to use "that".)

How do we proceed?

If munkymajic agrees with the use of my icon designs, he can use the one for the GUI application. It is here: http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/emaculation/BIIGUI.icns
I think his GUI application is ready for a first public (beta) release.

I can make a new BasiliskII build with my icon. And I can ask kanjitalk755 if he would add the icon to his BasiliskII source.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

All of that sounds good to me; among other things, it's a good obvious way to distinguish SDL2 BII from old BII.
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

Ah seems I only get one notification of a new post even if there are many, will have to check my forum settings...

Yeah I like your 78 logo Ronald, thanks, I'll use it.

I'll release a beta version pointing to the prefs file without _test appended to it and the new icon.

About hosting the app, I can keep hosting it unless you prefer to put it somewhere else Ronald?

On a completely unrelated topic here's some geeking nostalgia of mine to share, I call it the quadruple Mac setup...

It's BOOTCAMP running on a MacBook running WinUAE running ShapeShifter in a window... classic!

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Wow, history! I heard about ShapeShifter, never actually saw it in action. At the time I was not yet involved with Mac emulation.

You can host the GUI app yourself or it can be hosted here on emaculation.com. In both cases I will create a link to the download in the BasiliskII downloads topic here.

The BasiliskII application and the BasiliskIIGUI application can also be combined in one download, hosted here on emaculation.com.
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

Here’s another screenshot... I also used a program called A-Max II which was a bit faster as it shutdown the Amiga operating system and ran full screen (ShapeShifter can also run in full screen but AmigaOS runs in the background).

Yeah I was thinking at some point one could put the BasiliskII app inside the gui app....
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

That brings up memories ...

In my youth I was once staying at a youth hostel where I came across a classmate. He stood there for a camp with his scouting group and they had their computers with them (I guess that’s what you call modern scouting!). Knowing that I was a Mac enthusiast, he showed me ShapeShifter running on his Amiga. I wondered how that worked as I new the Amiga used the same Motorola CPU, but didn’t have the ROM chip required to run MacOS. So I was quite impressed.

For myself it should take another 15 years or so to get into emulation.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Is there any hope that you might be willing to post source code on GitHub? Some of us (or, more accurately, at least one of us) use/uses a custom build of BasiliskII that has a different (non-hidden) filename for the prefs file, and it would be good to able to build a copy of your prefs editor that works with that filename instead of the standard one. Thank you in advance if this is possible.
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

emendelson wrote:Is there any hope that you might be willing to post source code on GitHub? Some of us (or, more accurately, at least one of us) use/uses a custom build of BasiliskII that has a different (non-hidden) filename for the prefs file, and it would be good to able to build a copy of your prefs editor that works with that filename instead of the standard one. Thank you in advance if this is possible.
Hi, thanks for your interest but I won't be releasing any beta source code.

Have you thought about using

Code: Select all

ln -s
?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

munkymajic wrote:
emendelson wrote:Is there any hope that you might be willing to post source code on GitHub? Some of us (or, more accurately, at least one of us) use/uses a custom build of BasiliskII that has a different (non-hidden) filename for the prefs file, and it would be good to able to build a copy of your prefs editor that works with that filename instead of the standard one. Thank you in advance if this is possible.
Hi, thanks for your interest but I won't be releasing any beta source code.

Have you thought about using

Code: Select all

ln -s
?
Understood! But we can still hope that you'll release final source code - at least it's a hope!

The reason I use a visible filename in my build is that I create self-contained systems for non-technical users who won't know about symbolic links or how to create them....
Last edited by emendelson on Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

mabam wrote:Knowing that I was a Mac enthusiast, he showed me ShapeShifter running on his Amiga. I wondered how that worked as I new the Amiga used the same Motorola CPU, but didn’t have the ROM chip required to run MacOS. So I was quite impressed.
Yeah identical 68k processors... limited to 16 colours in hires though. I think I probably spent about half my time running my Amiga as a Mac. It was at least as fast as a real one with the same Motorola chip.
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

emendelson wrote:The reason I use a visible filename in my build is that I create self-contained systems for non-technical users who won't know about symbolic links or how to create them....
1. Do your end-users ever edit the prefs file? If yes how?
2. If no then include an 'ln' in your package. Also saves you having to recompile Basilisk and fork it just for a prefs file.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

munkymajic wrote:
emendelson wrote:The reason I use a visible filename in my build is that I create self-contained systems for non-technical users who won't know about symbolic links or how to create them....
1. Do your end-users ever edit the prefs file? If yes how?
2. If no then include an 'ln' in your package. Also saves you having to recompile Basilisk and fork it just for a prefs file.
I patch the executable of the old BasiliskII GUI to change the prefs filename to something with a .txt extension so that I can click on it to open it in TextEdit or use the patched GUI. I don't know whether my users actually use it, though!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The prefs file does not need to have a .txt extension to open in TextEdit when clicked. Without an extension, it will open in TextEdit. I use aliases to the hidden BasiliskII and SheepShaver prefs files (with the leading dot removed from the alias name) to be able to simply acces the files with TextEdit for manual editing. I suppose a symlink in your package would work.
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

emendelson wrote: I patch the executable of the old BasiliskII GUI to change the prefs filename to something with a .txt extension so that I can click on it to open it in TextEdit or use the patched GUI. I don't know whether my users actually use it, though!
If you’re only patching the old GUI, then how does the BasiliskII emulator know how to access your prefs file?

Also do you distribute your user package online?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

munkymajic wrote:
emendelson wrote: I patch the executable of the old BasiliskII GUI to change the prefs filename to something with a .txt extension so that I can click on it to open it in TextEdit or use the patched GUI. I don't know whether my users actually use it, though!
If you’re only patching the old GUI, then how does the BasiliskII emulator know how to access your prefs file?

Also do you distribute your user package online?
My custom BasiliskII build (with modified code) looks for the prefs file that my patched GUI creates and works with. I distributed it for a while, but have replaced it with my prebuilt System761.app and System755.app which I can't link to here (because of forum rules) but which are easily found with a web search. They use a different system of setting prefs which works under Catalina.
munkymajic
Tinkerer

Post by munkymajic »

emendelson wrote: My custom BasiliskII build (with modified code) looks for the prefs file that my patched GUI creates and works with. I distributed it for a while, but have replaced it with my prebuilt System761.app and System755.app which I can't link to here (because of forum rules) but which are easily found with a web search. They use a different system of setting prefs which works under Catalina.
I had a look at your website, looks like you've put a lot of effort into it. I like the print to PDF option.
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

If you want to change the configuration file path, you might be able to inject a dylib and overwrite the pointer to the configuration file path.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

uyjulian wrote:If you want to change the configuration file path, you might be able to inject a dylib and overwrite the pointer to the configuration file path.
Completely beyond my abilities, but maybe someone else will want to experiment with it?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Public beta version now available for download. See this topic: https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... =6&t=10454