Can't Quit SheepShaver - Catalina 10.15.4, MacBook Pro 2017

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

v1ll41n
Space Cadet

Can't Quit SheepShaver - Catalina 10.15.4, MacBook Pro 2017

Post by v1ll41n »

First and foremost, this emulation is phenomenal! Thank you very much for your effort upkeeping this.

I have been able to successfully get up and running with a 9.0.4 installer image from Macintosh Garden, along with a New World ROM from Redundant Robot. The OS boots and runs wonderfully from the image, but I can't ever get the app to quit normally - clicking to close the window , using Command+Q, or selecting quit from the menu do nothing. When i Force Quit, it frequently becomes difficult to get the app running again. Because of this behavior, I have been unable to get preferences to stick. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Can't Quit SheepShaver - Catalina 10.15.4, MacBook Pro 2

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I never heard of this behavior before.
Of course, commands like Cmd-Q will not work, Cmd-Q will quit an application in OS9, not SheepShaver itself. Closing the SheepShaver window should work. You will then get a dialog in OS9 where you can choose to shut down the emulator. Also quitting SheepShaver from the SheepShaver menu should work the same way. But you cannot do that when running SheepShaver in full screen mode.

What should work always, both in window mode and in full screen mode, is choosing Shut Down from the Special menu in the OS9 Finder.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
v1ll41n
Space Cadet

Post by v1ll41n »

After further work with the emulator it's pretty much a nonissue since using shutdown within Classic OS closes SheepShaver. The only times its an issue being unable to click to close the emulator window or use "quit" from the OSX menubar Sheepshaver menu is when booting for the first time to set app preferences before an image or disk is configured, or in a situation when the emulated OS crashes. It's probably not enough of an issue to worry with, but if you need any further troubleshooting details let me know and I'll provide whatever I can to help.

Also, I was incorrect in my original statement about the settings not sticking - the real cause there appears to have been that I was setting memory out of range. It's all working terrific now.

Awesome app, thanks a ton for continuing to make this available!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

v1ll41n wrote:The only times its an issue being unable to click to close the emulator window or use "quit" from the OSX menubar Sheepshaver menu is when booting for the first time to set app preferences before an image or disk is configured, or in a situation when the emulated OS crashes.
The way to do a hard shut down of the emulator is using Control-Escape. It is mentioned in the setup manual for shutting down after setup and before startup from a system disk.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You can also shut it down by holding the option key while clicking on the icon in the dock and selecting "force quit".