Trouble with audio on System 7.0.1 with game

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

psyalemao
Space Cadet

Trouble with audio on System 7.0.1 with game

Post by psyalemao »

Hello everyone,
I'm having some problems with System 7.0.1 on Basilisk II. I'm trying to play both prince of persia 1 and 2, on 1 it doesn't output audio, and on 2 it gives me an error "mwhk no audio manager". If I install System7.0.1 on Mini vMac, both games play with audio and with correct fps. If I install System 7.5.3 on basilisk II both games play with audio, but slow compared to Mini vMac. It seems that basilisk II has some audio problems with 7.0.1 and not with 7.5.3.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Trouble with audio on System 7.0.1 with game

Post by adespoton »

BII needs the Sound control panel that lets you select an output device before it will output audio. If you used the default 7.0.1 panel, you won't be able to do this. I uploaded a package to Macintosh Garden a few years back that contains a more recent Sound control panel to let you select this. However, I personally never use Basilisk II for any OS below 7.1, as there are a number of things that get slightly flaky. Mini vMac II works much better.
psyalemao
Space Cadet

Post by psyalemao »

I've found your Helper Extensions for BII on macintosh garden, but only Sound Manager 3.0 (Extension) didn't do the trick. I had to copy a quicktime 1.0 extension too, then the audio started working. But as you said, mini vmac works better, even with this minimal system on basilisk, both games still played slow. Funny that vmac doesn't require the quicktime and sound manager extensions for the audio to work.

Thanks for your help anyway, mate.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Paul put in a LOT of work in Mini vMac II to emulate the Mac II audio hardware, so the interface is automatically available to the OS. Basilisk II cheats and passes the audio through to the host -- which means the OS needs to be pointed at the right audio handler to work. Later versions of Mac OS can handle this automatically because they're designed to work with multiple hardware devices -- but 7.0.x is slaved to the device, and those aren't devices BII actually emulates.