Basilisk II install

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

BillH
Student Driver

Basilisk II install

Post by BillH »

Hi! I'm trying to do a Basilisk II install on an Imac running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 as per the instructions. I'm using the most recent copy of Basilisk II GUI for my system. I've got the correct DiskTools image file loaded (DiskTools_MacOS8.image) and showing up as a volume just the instructions say. However, the create button is grayed out so I can't make a hard drive as the instructions want me to do. Any idea what may be going on? What am I missing? Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Basilisk II install

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The new BasiliskII GUI is still in beta. Not all features are available yet. Specifically, the "Create" and "Start" buttons do not work yet.
"Create": You can create a new empty disk image of the desired size in Disk Utility, make it read/write. You can add the file in the GUI. The format will be wrong (HFS+), but when the OS in BasiliskII will try to mount it it will offer to initialize it HFS.
"Start": Just Save the settings, quit the GUI, and launch BasiliskII yourself.
BillH
Student Driver

Post by BillH »

OK Think I understand your instructions on the hard drive, thanks! One quick question though, I'm a little fuzzy on the shared Unix folder. The instructions say to create a shared folder within the Basilisk 2 folder, but the folder I want to use as a shared folder is on my Mac, I have a folder within the desktop folder called shared. Is the folder on my Mac the one I put down as Unix root in the GUI setup program? Could you shed a little more light on this, I'm a little confused on this issue. Thanks much!!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The fact that the shared folder is mentioned in the manual with the files you need in your BasiliskII folder is indeed confusing. The shared folder can be anywhere. Create the folder where it is most convenient. Better do not use important folders like you Documents folder as shared folder.
BillH
Student Driver

Post by BillH »

Gotcha! That clears it up for me! Thanks for all your help Ronald, think I'm set now!!
brklyn.ellie
Student Driver

Post by brklyn.ellie »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:The new BasiliskII GUI is still in beta. Not all features are available yet. Specifically, the "Create" and "Start" buttons do not work yet.
"Create": You can create a new empty disk image of the desired size in Disk Utility, make it read/write. You can add the file in the GUI. The format will be wrong (HFS+), but when the OS in BasiliskII will try to mount it it will offer to initialize it HFS.
"Start": Just Save the settings, quit the GUI, and launch BasiliskII yourself.
Hi there - having the same issue here, I also tried using the floppy supplied in the install guide. I'm not as well-versed in creating a disk image - I've made a new disk image with Disk Utility (it's a DMG on my OSX hard drive) but upon adding it to the GUI I'm not able to save.
brklyn.ellie
Student Driver

Post by brklyn.ellie »

Hi there - wanted to attach this image to exemplify the disk image issue I'm having.

Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri May 22, 2020 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected image link
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You will get that message when you start up from the DiskTools_MacOS8.image.
Just click OK and proceed.

Edit: The setup manual tells you so:
During startup, the system will encounter the floppy and give a warning about running of a floppy disk.

-Click “OK” to proceed.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri May 22, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
BillH
Student Driver

Post by BillH »

Just another quick question Ronald. IS it a .dmg I'm supposed to create from disk utility for use with Basilisk 2? Looks like that’s the only thing I CAN create, if I'm using the utility right! Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

A .dmg is fine. The file name extension is irrelevant for BasiliskII, the extension can be anything and even no extension is OK. BasiliskII GUI, however, will only allow adding files that have a known disk image extension. For BasiliskII, the disk format is the only thing that counts and BasiliskII will reformat (initialize) your image file. Make the image read/write and with no encryption.
BillH
Student Driver

Post by BillH »

OK Ronald! Thanks for all the good info. One question though, how can you add hard drives to Basilisk 2 without using the GUI app? Is there another way to add the drives directly from the emulator itself? I haven't run it yet so haven't had a chance to check it out. Thanks!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Open the MacOS terminal and enter

open -e ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs

Add additional lines below the line at the top with the boot disk.

Moderator edit: fixed typo in .baslisk_ii_prefs ;-)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

BillH wrote:Is there another way to add the drives directly from the emulator itself?
No, there is no such feature.
You can use the GUI, or you can edit the prefs file in a text editor after opening it with a terminal command as emendelson wrote above.

Note that you should not add or remove drives while the emulator is running.
BillH
Student Driver

Post by BillH »

OK thanks Ronald. If the GUI works, think I'll stick with that. I'm rather all thumbs using the terminal program!
BillH
Student Driver

Post by BillH »

Hi Ronald! Got a bit of a snag! I got the drives made fine, and installed them in Basilisk 2. Then I reviewed to make sure everything was set according to the instructions, which it was. I have the startup disk set to be Disktools, just as the instructions say, and its first in the drives list. However, when I start up I get the disk with the question mark, which I believe means it can't find the startup disk. The name of Disktools is DiskTools_MacOS8.image, exactly as the instructions show it. Any idea what the problem could be? Thanks! BTW I'm working on an Imac running MacOS Sierra, if you need that.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Something must be wrong with your settings.

Please show us here the content of your prefs file:

Launch Terminal (in /Application/Utilities/) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.basilisk_ii_ptefs
followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor. Select all content and copy and paste it here in your reply.
BillH
Student Driver

Post by BillH »

Got the pref files contents Ronald. Here it is:

disk /Users/wfharman4th/Desktop/Basilisk 2/DiskTools_MacOS8.image
disk /Users/wfharman4th/Computer Emulators/Basilisk 2/MacOS753.dmg
disk /Users/wfharman4th/Computer Emulators/Basilisk 2/InstallerParts.dmg
extfs /Users/wfharman4th/Desktop/Shared
screen win/1024/768
seriala
serialb
ether slirp
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /Users/wfharman4th/Computer Emulators/Basilisk 2/PERFORMA.ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 67108864
frameskip 0
modelid 14
cpu 4
fpu true
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit true
jitfpu true
jitdebug flase
jitcachesize 2048
jitlazyflush true
jitinline true
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
keycodefile
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp
mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true

Thanks for the help!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I don't see anything wrong. I copied your prefs to mine, corrected the paths for my account on my machine, and used the same rom file and boot image. I could launch BasiliskII fine.

Maybe something happened to the DiskTools_MacOS8.image file. Download it again and put the fresh copy in place of the one you use now. (No need to add it again in the GUI as the path will be the same.)

Edit: You did not move the file (or the folder Basilisk 2) since you added it to the volumes list? It is still in a folder "Basilisk 2" on your desktop?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun May 24, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
BillH
Student Driver

Post by BillH »

Hi Ronald!

Actually I think I may have moved the Basilisk 2 folder since I initially set the stuff up. I'll try re-adding all the files in the GUI program and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for all your help!
BillH
Student Driver

Post by BillH »

Hi Ronald!

Yeah that was the problem, I had moved the folder. Once I removed and re-added all the drives, they were found just fine. I now have Basilisk 2 up and running! Thanks for all your help my friend, you were a major, major help! Take care!

Regards, Bill H