Basilisk II CD capability

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

BillH
Student Driver

Basilisk II CD capability

Post by BillH »

Hi Ronald!

Got a new question on Basilisk II. This is no major deal, but is a matter of curiosity, and would be cool if I could do it. Can Basilisk II be set up to play music files, like you do in Itunes, through its CD player? If so, how would you set it up? Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Basilisk II CD capability

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Playing music from a CD or CD image is not possible. BasiliskII cannot read (images of) music CDs.

Playing sound files may be possible. There were 68k sound/music players. Not sure if they will work in an emulator like BasiliskII. Maybe others here know.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Sound Trekker II (plays MOD files) works great under BII. For MP3s, you'll need a PPC emulator. To access a virtual CD image... you could try QEMU? I'm not sure it can handle RedBook images though.
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

Ronald and adespoton are right as BII probably won't do exactly what you want.

However, if you want to try this build of BasiliskII, you'll be able to play CD audio from bin/cue images (download it under Assets -> BasiliskII.app.zip).

These features aren't in main builds yet due to some outstanding issues (lack of Windows support and incompatible games like Warcraft I); however, since neither Sheep nor BII can mount physical CDs anymore, bin/cue images are about the only way to fully support CD audio. I've been able to get redbook audio to work in most games, except War1 of course. That one's been quite a challenge!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

You might be interested in MpegDec, which can still be used to play MP3s on 68K Macs:

http://www.jwgdesign.com/mpegdec/download.htm

You can also listen to streams by downloading a PLS file. For example, all of these:

https://directory.shoutcast.com/