Bugdom

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

CptZaphodB
Space Cadet

Bugdom

Post by CptZaphodB »

Bugdom has long been regarded as one of those games Sheepshaver simply can't run.

I just updated Sheepshaver to the latest version that was released in March 2020, and I'm happy to report that Bugdom not only runs, but it runs SMOOTHLY.

I REPEAT, BUGDOM IS PLAYABLE!!!

Like, 90's game smooth, not modern game smooth. It runs as smooth as I remember it on my gumdrop iMac back in the day.

It will start with a window telling you it can't find graphics hardware, and that it will run anyway. I find its performance more than acceptable, if not exceptional.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Bugdom

Post by adespoton »

Good to hear! It also works under QEMU -- just got it working at iMac levels last year.

Not sure what got changed in SheepShaver that would make Bugdom suddenly decide it could attempt software rendering.
CptZaphodB
Space Cadet

Post by CptZaphodB »

Well, the game itself is supposed to revert to software rendering, but for the longest time, instead of displaying that notice, it would make Sheepshaver crash. None of the change logs say anything that would relate to any issue with running Bugdom, so I'm curious about that as well.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

If you're using a build based off kanjitalk755's branch, I think I might have an explanation.

There were a couple of floating-point instructions that were not emulated or emulated improperly - fres and frsqrte. These were fixed by jmaebe near the end of 2019.