SheepShaver 2.5 with weird flickering on macOS Catalina

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

SixtyEightOhForty
Space Cadet

SheepShaver 2.5 with weird flickering on macOS Catalina

Post by SixtyEightOhForty »

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but I've already consumed a lot of your tips over the years. This is a thing I've noticed yesterday when running SheepShaver 2.5 on macOS Catalina, on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018). I have a VM running Mac OS 8.6, which I like to preserve since this was the very first version of Mac OS that I used, back when I got my first Mac, a blueberry iMac Rev. C.

This started happening recently, but now every time I run SS on this Mac, the VM screen flickers a lot when I move the mouse cursor.
I recorded the screen as a GIF, below:

I tried running with low resolution mode on and off and nothing changed. Also, the flickering comes and goes. Notice that towards the end of the animation, after I open the Apple menu, the flickering stops. After I stopped recording, the flickering began once again.

What may be causing this?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver 2.5 with weird flickering on macOS Catalina

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I have not seen this or heard of this issue before.
Do I understand correctly that you have been using this MacOS 8.6 VM with this SheepShaver build on Catalina on this Mac without the issue and that at some point the issue started?
SixtyEightOhForty
Space Cadet

Post by SixtyEightOhForty »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I have not seen this or heard of this issue before.
Do I understand correctly that you have been using this MacOS 8.6 VM with this SheepShaver build on Catalina on this Mac without the issue and that at some point the issue started?
Yes, I had been using this VM without the issue and yesterday it began happening. This Mac has a Retina screen, but I have an external 1080p monitor connected to it via HDMI which is not Retina. I tested the VM on both screens and the issue occurs on both. As you can see on the GIF, the flickering occurs only when I move the pointer.

All my VMs are synced through iCloud Drive, as I have another older MacBook Pro that I like to use for virtualization / emulation too.
I will test this VM again on the other Mac and see if the issue happens again there.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

It may not be the solution as we do not know yet why this happens on your machine, but here is a possible workaround. Try using the hardware cursor instead of the default software cursor as described with the Advanced features in our setup manual: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... uilds_only