Flight Simulator 1.02 won't load

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

djb_rh
Space Cadet

Flight Simulator 1.02 won't load

Post by djb_rh »

Running OSX Catalina. Pretty sure I followed the setup guide properly and I can boot Basiliskii to Mac OS 7.5.3.

My memory of using an old Mac is fuzzy, but ALL I really want to do with it is play that old Flight Simulator version. So I downloaded this:

https://archive.org/details/mac_Flight_Simulato102

Unzip and I see a .dsk in there. I "Add" that using the Basiliskii GUI. First time I simply added it after my hard drive image, so my "machine" booted and I saw the floppy image. But trying to run anything from there just yields a weird message that basically seems to say "boot the machine with the floppy" and says "click the mouse to reboot" but it seems Basiliskii is locked up at that point. Killing it and then using the GUI to put the Flight Sim .dsk first just results in a bouncing Basiliskii icon that won't ever start and shows as "not responding" in activity monitor and I have to Force Quit it.

I'm running the PERFORMA.BIN ROM and I've tried all manner of turning JIT on and off as well as all memory and CPU options. Sometimes I can actually get a Basiliskii grey screen with like half of the machine icon before it beach balls and is locked up. Ooh, now that I think of it, the only time I see it get THAT far is if I Remove my hard disk image completely from the list of volumes in the GUI and ONLY have the Flight Sim .dsk in there.

Surely I'm doing something wrong?

--Donnie
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Flight Simulator 1.02 won't load

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Microsoft Flight Simulator is too old to be used in BasiliskII. It is for System 1 to 5.

It runs fine in Mini vMac. Note that you are supposed to boot from the game disk image itself. No System disk needed.

About BasiliskII:
- If you have put all settings back to how they should be in BasiliskII GUI, and BasiliskII does not run with only the 7.5.3 disk, the lockup may have corrupted the file system on your 7.5.3 disk. Install 7.5.3 again.
- I suppose you run the latest BasiliskII build posted by me. In that build JIT is not available, so JIT settings are irrelevant. best disable JIT in the GUI.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Is it this game? https://macintoshgarden.org/games/flight-simulator-1
If so, you might have more luck with Basilisk II and version 4:
https://macintoshgarden.org/games/micro ... mulator-40
djb_rh
Space Cadet

Post by djb_rh »

Yes, sorry, I actually figured this out after I "posted", but since I'm a newbie here my first posted needed to be moderated and so I couldn't reply to myself or stop the post.

Version 1.02 of Flight Simulator does indeed work great on vMac. I was just confused on my Mac history and didn't realize BasiliskII didn't do Macs that old and all that. Combine that with the fact that ANY google search for anything with "Flight Simulator" in it is nearly impossible to use to find information on older versions. So I couldn't even find hardware requirement info for it. And it confused me even more when in 7.5.3 under BasiliskII and I clicked it that it told me to just boot the disk instead of giving me a more useful error.

Anyway, I'm quite impressed with BasiliskII and how well it runs and about how it's been ported nearly everywhere. Neat stuff. But I really wanted THAT version of Flight Simulator (newer is better in some ways, but WWI Ace in that original one is just addicting to *me* and doesn't exist in any other version I'm aware of). And thanks to vMac now I have it!

Anyway, thanks for the followups, and sorry I had this confused.

--Donnie