How to increase memory on SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Terion
Space Cadet

How to increase memory on SheepShaver

Post by Terion »

Hi, I just downloaded Mac OS 9.0.4 on SheepShaver, and I'm trying to copy some .toast files from Unix onto my hard drive so I can play a game. However, it keeps telling me I don't have enough space to copy both .toast files. I've tried changing the amount of RAM in Preferences and restarting SheepShaver, but it doesn't help. Can anyone help me out with this? If you need more information, I'm happy to give it.

Also, it has been telling me for the past few minutes that I can't copy anything onto my hard drive because "the disk is locked." I never intentionally locked it, but I do see a lock symbol in the top left-hand corner. Nothing happens when I click on it, however.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: How to increase memory on SheepShaver

Post by 24bit »

As you seem to have SheepShaver running, best create or download a volume for your System and another one for scratch.
Install a clean copy of MacOS from a CD image onto the System volume.
Finally you may move your game CDs to the scratch volume.
Here are some empty disk images, but you may also create those yourself:
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/disk-images-emulators

MacOS CD images are e.g. here:
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macint ... -doors-mdd

The utility to mount .toast images from your SheepShaver scratch volume is here:
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtua ... cd-utility
Please note that many game CD images may also be mounted via the SheepShaver GUI.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You apparently use SheepShaver on macOS. True?

1. Did you use a pre-installed OS9, like the one you can download from Redundant Robot?
If so: That is not a full OS9 installation, only useful for test purposes. It is also too small to do additional installations.
Best do a regular full OS installation as described in our setup manual.

2. If you want to use software that is on a disk image (like .toast, or .iso, or .img images), do not try to import it into SheepShaver, but add it in SheepShaver preferences to the volumes list. If it is an image from a CD-ROM, check the CDROM checkbox after the added image. The volume will mount on the SheepShaver desktop at next launch. If the CDROM box in preferences is checked, the volume will mount as CD and will be recognized as such by the software.

(Because of the CDROM feature in SheepShaver preferences, the Virtual CD/DVD-ROM Utility that 24bit mentions is not needed anymore in SheepShaver builds for OSX/macOS July 2018 and later.)
Terion
Space Cadet

Post by Terion »

Hi again,

I wanted to respond to your post on the other thread. I didn’t realize that posting in a 9-year old topic isn’t okay, nor did I see that it was a post about Windows rather than Mac OS X. I’m not much of an online forums person and even less a computer person, so I really apologize for not understanding the etiquette on here. I had a problem that I thought was separate from my original post, so I thought I should look for and comment in an existing post on the topic, if one existed. I did also follow your advice above, and everything worked out great in response to my .toast files. Please remove this comment as well if it shouldn’t be here, but I don’t know where else I should put this since I can’t send private messages.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Posting in an old topic is no problem in itself. But the topic was about Windows and you are on OSX/macOS. Also, it seemed to me that the issue was related to what you were trying to achieve here.

I am glad to hear that the procedure I described worked for your .toast files.

(One more approved post and you are no longer a "new" user and you will be ably to send private messages.)