Stability with JIT Compiler Not Enabled (Windows)

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

Stability with JIT Compiler Not Enabled (Windows)

Post by ClockWise »

Would you say that Basilisk II in Windows is more stable with the JIT Compiler disabled? Or is that just my long-term imagination?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Stability with JIT Compiler Not Enabled (Windows)

Post by Cat_7 »

The JIT has always introduced some level of stability issues on all platforms.
With current-day computer performance I guess the speed boost is not strictly needed any more.
I mostly run with jit disabled (also because otherwise I cannot keep up with Basilisks speed). ;-)

I now write this in the SheepShaver guide: Enabling the JIT Compiler greatly improves performance. It might, however, cause some sporadic crashes, so you can disable it.

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I'll write the same in the Basilisk II guide, and continue to randomly test. Since trying the new build, I haven't had any random crashes since disabling the JIT.

I wonder if anyone who contributes to the code has the ability to slightly adjust some of the default settings in the GUI. Perhaps that could be turned off by default (and a few other common settings adjusted as well).
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Since trying the new build, I haven't had any random crashes since disabling the JIT
Did you experience crashes?

The code for the current builds comes from: https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu
This (for me) is both the most advanced and maintained code. It is also the only code I get compiled ;-)

You can raise an issue there, asking to set the default to disabled. This will then probably also affect MacOS and Linux builds.

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I've always had some random crashes running B2 in Windows. They just happen when running some program or another. I think the emulator went down when I tried to load the "About" screen in iCab, and when I launched "Doom." I haven't been able to bring about a crash since disabling JIT yesterday, but I will keep trying.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I run BasiliskII for OSX/macOS (now also from kanjitalk755 source) always with JIT compiler disabled because of stability issues. SheepShaver seems to be not affected. Recently kanjitalk755 even had the JIT compiler disabled in BasiliskII source for some time because of serious stability issues. It is now back to be enabled, but it is still better not used. And the JIT compiler is not really needed anymore now that on todays fast hosts BasiliskII often runs faster than real 68k Macs used to do, even without the JIT compiler.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I'll make a suggestion on the Github page, as Cat_7 suggested. Maybe we can get that disabled by default once again.