Mounting CD game discs?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Mansen
Student Driver

Mounting CD game discs?

Post by Mansen »

Hey Y'all.

Long story short : I'm trying to mount cue/bin/iso files in Sheepshaver to install and run CD based games in Sheepshaver, but so far nothing has worked. Toast Titanium throws an IO error and another app I tried gives me a "More memory required" in spite of having 512mb of RAM assigned in the config. What am I doing wrong?

Longer story : I have an iMac G5 I normally use as my "nostalgia childhood mac" machine, but I recently acquired a dead Macintosh Classic II, that I am slowly "restoring" by basically gutting it and putting in a modern ITX PC in it - so I figured I'd install Sheepshaver on it to run the era appropriate games and PPC as well for fun. But uhh... I've run into a bit of an issue with "newer" games that require mounted CDs to install and run.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Mounting CD game discs?

Post by 24bit »

Game CDs may be troublesome, bin/cue especially.

Many game CD images can be mounted via the built in SheepShaver GUI, you can check them there as read only.
The recent version of the emulator has the ability to mount bin/cue.

For ISO game images, https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtua ... cd-utility did the job for me many times.
The game iso must be copied to the emulators "HDD" to be mounted properly.

As your ITX PC will probably run Windows, you may also mount a Mac CD/DVD using your PC optical drive.
This option was also available with OSX 10.6 to 10.8 - maybe an option for you with the Classic II case.
Snow Leopard will look much nicer in there than Windows. ;)
If you should go that way, look for an old SandyBridge mobo and Nawcoms mod CD.
The needed media may easily be found at Macintoshgarden.
Mansen
Student Driver

Post by Mansen »

https://i.imgur.com/9Fv1w2U.png

This is the error I get no matter what I try mounting (whether copied to the virtual HD or through the virtual link to my real HDD)

Is it possible to access the Sheepshaver mounting utility from within the emulator? Bit drastic to have to shut it down to mount another disc. :eek:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Where did you get that OS9 installation from? If you got it from the redundant robot site, then it is not a full Mac OS 9 installation and the disk is rather small.
It is best to follow our guide to create a new and full installation on a disk with sufficient room:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup

Best,
Cat_7
Mansen
Student Driver

Post by Mansen »

I am about 99% sure I used the most up to date guide. It's 9.0.4 installed from an image onto a virtual 2GB drive. :smile:

So uh... should be plenty of space with 3/4 of that still available in the emulator.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Did you try the second DL from the Civilisation CTP page at Macintoshgarden too?
That way you may confirm the game is working with SheepShaver from the .toast image.

Edit: You wrote Civ II, so CTP is likely not the one you are after.
Maybe tell the link which one you are trying to run, I´m not into Civ games. :)
Last edited by 24bit on Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mansen
Student Driver

Post by Mansen »

Civ II not CTP - But yes. It is the PPC compatible image from Macintoshgarden that I grabbed to test things out. :smile:

https://macintoshgarden.org/games/civilization-ii
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Yeah, my bad. Civ II Gold or the very early one from ´97?

Either way, I think the bin/cue was for preservation only.
The .toast image should be enough to get going.
Sound from a mixed mode CD may not work with Mac emulation at all.

If you expand the .sit file of Civ II ´97 on the Mac´s HDD with Stuffit Expander,
the game itself should work on your side. The additional stuff from CD is missing, obviously.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

So I burned the bin/cue Civ II ´97 to CD and tried with SheepShaver on Windows 10.
After installing from CD, things seem to be working working on my side, except for the AIFF background music, but I did not explore further.
If your Classic II ITX can have an optical drive, the game should find the CD and work as expected.

SheepShaver with a 10.6 host does play the game just the same, missing music from AIFF files either.
With OSX, the partition with the AIFF files is "seen" at least, so the music could be played via the host OS.