Problems saving files to Unix drive after upgrading from macOS 10.13.6 6o 10.14.6

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mikerose23
Space Cadet

Problems saving files to Unix drive after upgrading from macOS 10.13.6 6o 10.14.6

Post by mikerose23 »

I have a client who's been using SheepShaver 2.5 (currently the 22 September 2020 download) to run OS 9.0.4, specifically for ClarisCAD, for several years now without any problems on an iMac running macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra. After upgrading his iMac to 10.14.6 Mojave, ClarisCAD can open files from his macOS 10 desktop as usual, but any attempts to save there result in the type -39 error I remember all too well from the old days. I tried mapping to different locations in his macOS 10 user folder, always resulting in the same error. To see if it's a problem specific to ClarisCAD, which was rather ancient even on Macs that booted in OS 9, I tried saving a document in SimpleText. It, too, was unable to save, to the Unix drive, with an error message saying the drive or folder is locked instead of a type -39 error. This made me think the problem is that the Unix drive is recognized as read-only, but we're able to drag and drop files from the OS 9 desktop, AND PrintToPDF is able to create PDF files there.

My client is okay for now with the workaround of saving files to the OS 9 desktop first, but of course he'd really like to get things working back the way they were if possible. Any ideas?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Problems saving files to Unix drive after upgrading from macOS 10.13.6 6o 10.14.6

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Yes, I find the same issue trying to save a SimpleText document to 'Unix' with macOS 10.15 (Catalina). I did not notice it before and so far no one else reported this.

I can save an AppleWorks document to 'Unix' without issues, though. Apparently it does not affect all applications in OS9. That may make it difficult to find the cause and solve the issue.

It is also not something in recent SheepShaver builds, it happens also with an April 2019 build.

It may very well be related to the APFS file system on the host. Did your client run High Sierra with still the HFS+ file system?

(Another issue with APFS, loosing resource forks in 'Unix', was solved in January 2020.)
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Problems saving files to Unix drive after upgrading from macOS 10.13.6 6o 10.14.6

Post by emendelson »

This seems to be a problem with SimpleText, not with SimpleText files. I noticed many years ago that I couldn't save a file from SimpleText to the Unix folder - the file would simply be deleted without an error message. (I don't remember which SheepShaver version was involved, and which version of macOS - it was much older than Catalina, certainly.) I could, however, save a SimpleText file to the SheepShaver desktop, and from there copy it into the Unix folder.

I never found another application that couldn't save files to the Unix folder. Perhaps kanjitalk755 or someone else could try to figure out what happens when SimpleText saves a file? Does it test for a specific file system? (I'm just guessing about that.)

EDIT: In fact I mentioned this here, years ago:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

This thread started with the ClarisCAD not able to save to the Unix drive. Most applications do not have problems with the Unix drive. In my SheepShaver setup in Catalina I tried several applications and it is only SimpleText that cannot save to 'Unix'.

However, the problem with ClarisCAD is different and started after upgrading the host from High Sierra to Mojave.