GUI cannot find BasiliskII

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

jcfore01
Space Cadet

GUI cannot find BasiliskII

Post by jcfore01 »

When attempting to start for the first time from the 32bit GUI, I get the error cannot find Basilisk II. I am running Mojave 10.14.6 and installed the files I found today.

I was able to set up the disks and the GUI created a new hard drive.

Thank you.
Chris
jcfore01
Space Cadet

Re: GUI cannot find BasiliskII

Post by jcfore01 »

Just some update, using the 64 bit GUI does not create a hard drive. The 32 bit GUI does. Neither will launch BasiliskII. Manually launching BasiliskII just hangs and never starts. I followed the instructions to the letter and it just does not seem to work.

Contents of /Users/chris/BasiliskII folder
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 chris staff 96 Jun 12 2020 Basilisk II GUI.app
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 chris staff 96 Dec 29 10:58 BasiliskII.app
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 chris staff 96 Oct 10 2011 BasiliskIIGUI.app
-rw-r--r--@ 1 chris staff 1474560 Mar 13 2010 DiskTools_MacOS8.image
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 chris staff 524288 Nov 10 2015 MAC.ROM
-rw-r--r-- 1 chris staff 419430400 Dec 29 13:30 MacHD400.dsk
-rw-r--r--@ 1 chris staff 104857600 Oct 30 14:12 OS753InstallerParts.dsk
drwx------@ 10 chris staff 320 Dec 29 11:05 Old_World_Mac_Roms

Contents of Prefs file
disk /Users/chris/BasiliskII/DiskTools_MacOS8.image
disk /Users/chris/BasiliskII/OS753InstallerParts.dsk
disk /Users/chris/BasiliskII/MacHD400.dsk
extfs /Users/chris/BasiliskII
screen win/1024/768
seriala
serialb
ether slirp
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /Users/chris/BasiliskII/Old_World_Mac_Roms/512KB ROMs/1989-09 - 368CADFE - Mac IIci.ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 67108864
frameskip 0
modelid 5
cpu 3
fpu false
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit false
jitfpu false
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 8192
jitlazyflush true
jitinline true
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp
mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true

There is a .basilisk_ii_xpram file.

Also, I tried this a few years ago on another Mac using the 32 bit version and never got that to work. I have been using mini vMac with no problems, but it is not 64 bit.

It would be nice to have a troubleshooting guide. I believe there is a simple and common problem keeping this from running on my system.

Thank you.
Chris
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: GUI cannot find BasiliskII

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The 64-bit Basilisk II GUI is still in beta and still has some bugs. It should create a new (image) file in the folder where it resides. It does not add the file to the volumes list yet, one needs to use the Add button for that. For most users it works, but there was one other user who reported that the file was not created. In Mojave you can still use the 32-bit GUI.

Starting BasiliskII from the GUI does not work anymore in the 32-bit GUI. It should work in the 64-bit GUI. There are a few preferences settings, accessible by clicking the wheel in the lower right corner of the GUI window to choose where the BasiliskII app can be found.

You did not quite follow the instructions "to the letter":
- The rom file you chose may not work. Best use a Quadra or Performa rom file as suggested in the setup manual. Search “redundant robot sheepshaver” for downloads. I think you have one in the BasiliskII folder (MAC.ROM).
- To be able to start up from the DiskTools_MacOS8.image, you need to set the Model ID to “Quadra 900”, as suggested in the setup manual.
Best also set CPU type to “68040”. After installation of System 7.5.3, you can keep these settings.

Edit 1: Better do not use the BasiliskII folder itself as shared folder.

Edit 2: Old world rom files cannot be used with BasiliskII, they may be used fro PPC emulation with SheepShaver.