"Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators"

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

DirkM48
Space Cadet

"Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators"

Post by DirkM48 »

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get Science Sleuths running (https://macintoshgarden.org/games/scien ... lawnmowers), but I keep encountering the following error:

"The document 'Science Sleuths image' could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found. Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators."

I'm running Windows 10, and I've tried using both Basilisk II and SheepShaver. For both of them, I'm using a MacOS 8 (8.1) iso. This is what I tried doing:

- Navigate through "This PC" until I find the folder that contains the science_sleuths_image.sit file
- Drag this file to the Mac desktop
- Drag this file to StuffIt Expander (5.5)
- When it's finished unstuffing, I'm left with a file called "Science Sleuths image." When I click on this file, I receive the aforementioned error message.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thanks!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: "Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators"

Post by adespoton »

DirkM48 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:16 pm Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get Science Sleuths running (https://macintoshgarden.org/games/scien ... lawnmowers), but I keep encountering the following error:

"The document 'Science Sleuths image' could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found. Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators."

I'm running Windows 10, and I've tried using both Basilisk II and SheepShaver. For both of them, I'm using a MacOS 8 (8.1) iso. This is what I tried doing:

- Navigate through "This PC" until I find the folder that contains the science_sleuths_image.sit file
- Drag this file to the Mac desktop
- Drag this file to StuffIt Expander (5.5)
- When it's finished unstuffing, I'm left with a file called "Science Sleuths image." When I click on this file, I receive the aforementioned error message.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thanks!
The file is likely a Disk Copy 4.2 disk image. In this case, you can mount it as a virtual disk from within Disk Copy.

The alternative is that it is some other sort of disk image. In that case, uncompress it on your host system and add the image file to the list of volumes for your emulator, shut it down, and re-launch.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The file in question is actually an iso compressed with Stuffit 5.5.

It is easy to decompress in Windows. Install stuffit expander if you do not already have that utility (https://www.stuffit.com/)
Next, unstuff the download and rename the resulting file to ScienceSleuth.iso. Then add that file to the volumes list in the SheepShaver GUI and start SheepShaver.
The disk will show up on the Mac OS desktop.

Best,
Cat_7
DirkM48
Space Cadet

Post by DirkM48 »

Thanks for the speedy replies! I'll give these a try.