Cannot boot System 7.5.3 Not enough memory was available while using

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ivannudem
Space Cadet

Cannot boot System 7.5.3 Not enough memory was available while using

Post by ivannudem »

Hi,
I'm new to Basilisk II. I followed the tutorial to install a Sys 7.5.3 and some games a month ago. But today after installing some software (toast, stuffit expander, word etc..) I could no longer boot. When booting, it said:
Not enough memory is available while using
[blank line]
to temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key.
I don't even had a chance to restart because if I click restart it would hang there, I could only force quit Basilisk II on my mac OSX10.14 host.

This happened once before, I have to erase the disk and reinstall all using a OS8 boot disk, I don't want to do it again, is there's a way to save it? Please advise.

Definitely it's not a lack of ram issue, because this only happens after installing some "demanding software" which install some extensions or involve drivers? (like CD image mounting tools, unzip etc)..
I tried to increase ram from 64MB to 128MB, not working.
I don't know how to properly disable new extensions, I could not boot into the system, I used a OS8 boot floppy image to get into the desktop and removed the newly installed extensions out of the system 7.5 folder from hard disk, not working.
On my host I tried rm .basilisk_ii_xpram, not working

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
ivannudem
Space Cadet

Re: Cannot boot System 7.5.3 Not enough memory was available while using

Post by ivannudem »

FYI, I attached a screenshot of the symptom on imgur https://imgur.com/3olyrpn (Sorry I had difficulty to insert inline to show it directly here, I tried Image but it didn't work, Idk why...)

and my pref file is as follow:
disk /Users/xxx/sim/basiliskii/sys753.dsk
disk /Users/xxx/sim/basiliskii/DiskTools_MacOS8.image
extfs /Users/xxx/sim/basiliskii/shared
screen win/1024/690
seriala
serialb /dev/null
ether slirp
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /Users/xxx/sim/basiliskii/Quadra_630.ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 134217728
frameskip 1
modelid 14
cpu 4
fpu true
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit true
jitfpu true
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 2048
jitlazyflush false
jitinline false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
keycodefile
mousewheelmode 0
mousewheellines 1
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv false
idlewait true
Last edited by ivannudem on Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ivannudem
Space Cadet

Post by ivannudem »

After some digging on the internet, I learned how to disable extensions before booting, its tricky but if I act fast enough to press shift after double-clicking the start button of the emulator, it could enter "safe mode"(or whatever it is called).

BUT in control panel -> extension manager,
I tried:
1. disabled all non system 7.5.3 extensions and only left sys7.5.3 extensions on, result: fail, booting hang-up with exact the same message
2. disable all extensions (all off), result: fail, booting hang-up with exact the same message

The only way I can boot (regardless of extensions on or off, even all off, it could not boot into normal mode), is to press shift at a tricky moment (and I might not catch the right moment it would be too late, I had to force quit...)

So I assume its not related to extensions
Could anyone help me which component I should check to solve this?

BTW where can I set the Gestalt ID? I googled and people say the wrong gestalt id will result in unstability? (everything worked fine even if I had a wrong gestalt id after last crash month ago after which I have to erase disk and reinstall all😢)

Thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Please tell us which which BasiliskII build (build date!) you use.
I followed the tutorial to install a Sys 7.5.3 and some games a month ago.
Which tutorial did you follow? Several vitally important settings are not as described in our setup manual: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ba ... _osx_setup
Check all your settings in the GUI following the manual.
Especially important: Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses must be enabled and JIT must be disabled.
But today after installing some software (toast, stuffit expander, word etc..) I could no longer boot.
This was all installed on your sys753.dsk volume in one session? Did you have enough room left on that volume? Also, next time do one at a time and see if it works as expected. Not all software that could be used in System 7.5.3 on a real Mac, can be used without issues, or at all, in BasiliskII.

When asked to restart, better shut down BasiliskII and launch it again. Restarting within the emulator can result in unexpected and unwanted behaviour.

If you made proper backups (Time Machine?) you can go back to the working state by putting back the sys753.dsk disk image from before it failed.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

One other thought:
Is any of the software you installed set to launch at startup (alias in the Startup items folder)?
ivannudem
Space Cadet

Post by ivannudem »

Hi, Ronald,
Thanks a lot for your helpful advice!
1. My host is MacOSX 10.14.6, and the emulator i was using was the BasiliskII sdl2 64bit 20190504. (I tried the newest BasiliskII_notarized_20210207 in my OSX10.14.6, but it crashed at launch of the emulator app it self (the window showed up and immediately disappeared)).
As for the configurator I was using the new 64bit beta Basilisk II GUI.

2. I followed this tutorial as you linked, but maybe not so carefully, at the installation of the system, i didn't check the "ignore illegal men access" nor disabling the JIT.... It ran fine for about a month (with those wrong settings) But now, its too late, after the crash, i changed them to the desired values, it still could not boot successfully.

3. Those were installed not in one session in the strict sense, because after installation of each piece of these software, they asked me to restart. I didn't know the catch and clicked restart rather than a full shutdown and then power-up, so in this sense, it was in one session...

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:43 am Please tell us which which BasiliskII build (build date!) you use.
I followed the tutorial to install a Sys 7.5.3 and some games a month ago.
Which tutorial did you follow? Several vitally important settings are not as described in our setup manual: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ba ... _osx_setup
Check all your settings in the GUI following the manual.
Especially important: Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses must be enabled and JIT must be disabled.
But today after installing some software (toast, stuffit expander, word etc..) I could no longer boot.
This was all installed on your sys753.dsk volume in one session? Did you have enough room left on that volume? Also, next time do one at a time and see if it works as expected. Not all software that could be used in System 7.5.3 on a real Mac, can be used without issues, or at all, in BasiliskII.

When asked to restart, better shut down BasiliskII and launch it again. Restarting within the emulator can result in unexpected and unwanted behaviour.

If you made proper backups (Time Machine?) you can go back to the working state by putting back the sys753.dsk disk image from before it failed.
ivannudem
Space Cadet

Post by ivannudem »

4. I now booted into the system (by pressing shift at boot), and looked at the startup items folder, there's nothing :sad:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:41 am One other thought:
Is any of the software you installed set to launch at startup (alias in the Startup items folder)?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If you do not have backups of your virtual harddrive, I think there is not much else you can do than starting over again.

Make sure you follow the tutorial while checking each setting carefully, not just the two I mentioned above, and read the text in between the pictures. If you want to do many additional installations, choose the larger suggested size for the disk you want to install the system onto and/or create additional volumes later. And do not forget to finally remove volumes that are not needed anymore from the list.

When you have everything running again, make copies of your sys753.dsk image regularly. If something goes wrong, you can simply return to a working setup by putting back a working copy.

After an additional software installation, check if everything works as expected before you do another installation.
ivannudem
Space Cadet

Post by ivannudem »

Hi, Ronald,
Thanks a lot. I just reinstalled all (following the tutorial to disable JIT and ignore illegal mem access when installing everything). I will make a backup of my dsk each time before installing anything new. :roll:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:07 pm If you do not have backups of your virtual harddrive, I think there is not much else you can do than starting over again.

Make sure you follow the tutorial while checking each setting carefully, not just the two I mentioned above, and read the text in between the pictures. If you want to do many additional installations, choose the larger suggested size for the disk you want to install the system onto and/or create additional volumes later. And do not forget to finally remove volumes that are not needed anymore from the list.

When you have everything running again, make copies of your sys753.dsk image regularly. If something goes wrong, you can simply return to a working setup by putting back a working copy.

After an additional software installation, check if everything works as expected before you do another installation.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Since you appear to be running macOS on the host, I recommend turning on Time Machine for the volume where you've got the disk image; then you can just roll it back to the state you want :)
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Quick question: Is there a reason to run 7.5.3 rather than 7.5.5? You can find a pre-built, self-contained, reliable (I think) system running 7.5.5 under BII, by searching Google for

system761

The first page in the search results (which I can't link to here because of forum policy) includes a reference to a "not recently updated" system running 7.5.5. In fact, it was updated twelve days ago with the latest BasiliskII code.
Last edited by emendelson on Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivannudem
Space Cadet

Post by ivannudem »

adespoton wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:32 pm Since you appear to be running macOS on the host, I recommend turning on Time Machine for the volume where you've got the disk image; then you can just roll it back to the state you want :)
Thanks, but I don't have the habit to regularly backup the whole volumes, i'm using a macbook pro with a small SSD size, so if I need to perform time-machine backup, i'd have to connect an external USB HDD.... not worth the hassle.
From now on, before installing anything, I'll make a copy of my 7.5.3.dsk file quick and easy, if anything goes wrong, I could revert to the moment before installing.

Thanks a lot for your help.
ivannudem
Space Cadet

Post by ivannudem »

emendelson wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:06 pm Quick question: Is there a reason to run 7.5.3 to 7.5.5? You can find a pre-built, self-contained, reliable (I think) system running 7.5.5 under BII, by searching Google for

system761

The first page in the search results (which I can't link to here because of forum policy) includes a reference to a "not recently updated" system running 7.5.5. In fact, it was updated twelve days ago with the latest BasiliskII code.
Thanks, there was no specific reason why I must installed 7.5.3, I had a vintage Quadra 610 which is failing (maybe due to capacitor issues? I don't have very good recapping stills), and I want to run some legacy software that I had which ran fine on 7.5.3, just for the nostalgia.... thankfully Basilisk ii provided such an opportunity... But I may try to upgrade to newer OS to improve stability...
Andrew_R
Space Cadet

Post by Andrew_R »

ivannudem wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:05 am

When booting, it said:
Not enough memory is available while using
[blank line]
to temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key.
I don't even had a chance to restart because if I click restart it would hang there, I could only force quit Basilisk II on my mac OSX10.14 host.
I think I run into similar issue while playing with B2 for Android.

I set memory to some 128 and more mbs and my hdd was only 100 mb image with virtual memory on! Of course after I decreased ram to small default ( 32 mb) it stopped booting (

I increased memory to some unhealthy amount again (may be even 512 mb?) , booted, and disabled virtual memory... now everything works fine)