OS X 10.2 Installs without any problems but will not load

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Ancient Imhotep
Inquisitive Elf

OS X 10.2 Installs without any problems but will not load

Post by Ancient Imhotep »

I have just installed OS X 10.2 on PPC 0.2pre (nightly build 24/05). I have Win XP SP1a.

The installation went without any problems. It completed and then closed down PPC - command prompt window showed reset as cause (I am assuming because the installation normally reboots the Mac).

However when I start PPC up it asks which device to boot from, I select the 2 option Hard Disk and the system starts to load.

I get the grey background with the Apple logo and the little dial turning.

After about 20/30 secs the Apple Logo changes to a No Entry sign (circle with a diagonal line through it and nothing more happens.

I have left the system for hours and nothing more will happen. There is no mouse cursor at all.

Before I start deleting my disk image and rebuilding from scratch, does anyone know if there is another reason for this to happen?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
michaeltal

Post by michaeltal »

I had the same problem yesterday!
I reduced the amount of memory assigned to PearPC from 512 MB to 128MB and 10.2 booted without a problem! : :D

Michael
Ancient Imhotep
Inquisitive Elf

Thanks

Thanks for that, I am running 512MB as well.

I will try to lower it to 128MB tonight and see what happens.

Post by Guest »

I am having the same problem abd I never changed the default mem size.
Does anyone have a clue about this?
Ancient Imhotep
Inquisitive Elf

I have just tried two things: -

1) I used the following forum topic to change my partition that had Mac OS X 10.2 on it to position 2 (I followed steps 10-20). http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1102

2) I lowered the memory to 128MB.

I now have a bootable OS X, but am confussed by why it will not start with 512MB of Ram - I thought that 0.2pre support this amount?

There is to be some playing around with memory done tonight, I will try 256 and 512MB again in case I can get it to run on one of these with the changed partition.
Ph0eniX
Mac Mechanic

Post by Ph0eniX »

Ancient Imhotep wrote:I have just tried two things: -

1) I used the following forum topic to change my partition that had Mac OS X 10.2 on it to position 2 (I followed steps 10-20). http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1102

2) I lowered the memory to 128MB.

I now have a bootable OS X, but am confussed by why it will not start with 512MB of Ram - I thought that 0.2pre support this amount?

There is to be some playing around with memory done tonight, I will try 256 and 512MB again in case I can get it to run on one of these with the changed partition.
I've been able to boot Jaguar in PearPC with 256MB before. Perhaps it depends on how much RAM the host system actually has available[?]
Ancient Imhotep
Inquisitive Elf

Test Results

OK,

I have done some more testing and found that I cannot get it boot with anything other than 128MB of RAM.

My computer is running Win XP SP1a and is a P4 3.06GHz with 2GB of DDR 400 Dual Channel memory.

Does anyone know why PearPC will not boot with higher than 128MB allocated?

I have checked my Task Manager and it says that I have 1.5GB free.

Is this a bug in the 0.2pre release from the nightly builds?

Any help would be great, as at the moment it is running as slow as hell.

Thanks.
Ancient Imhotep
Inquisitive Elf

Error - Waiting For Root

With a bit more testing and some use of the -v switch, I can see a bit more into why the system will not boot with the RAM set at more than 128MB.

It would appear that setting the memory to higher than 128 knocks out the emulated PCI adapter for the Hard Disk.

This screenshot shows what causes the error and what the resulting message is.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this or if there is a fix?

Thanks,

Post by Guest »

I follwed the install (without darwin) ...I didn't change any memory settings and this happens.
Could it be a bad disk image? or a bad .iso rip?
Litespeed
Space Cadet

Jaguar only?

Post by Litespeed »

Is this problem just a Jaguar one? I've seen lots of screenshots of people running 256, 384 and 512mb systems but they all seem to be running Panther.

I'm running Jaguar and I can't go beyond 128mb too.
musicguy

Post by musicguy »

I get this same error, followed all documentation to the "t"...

re partitioned, and get that same error...

reinstalled... same error...

Just like others, it will go to the grey screen with the apple, then to the on with the "no crossing" sign and it'll stay like that forever...

Is there a fix?

Ne suggestions?

Running 10.2.3 using both 0.1.2 and 0.2
mjc
Space Cadet

Post by mjc »

Same here. I'm running Windows XP SP1, on a Pentium 4 1.5GHz with 1Gb RAM. I get the "no crossing" sign no matter which build of PearPC I use. My Panther upgrade disc will work, but of course I haven't got a system to upgrade yet...I need this 10.2 installation!
One slight difference - if I use the -v option, the console tells me that my system finds a boot device but I get this error:

Load of /sbin/mach_init, errno 86, trying /etc/mach_init
Load of /etc/mach_int failed, errno 2
rcwire
Tinkerer

Post by rcwire »

I am running the North American English version of Jaguar, without the bsd sub system. The build of PPC I have is the one from the nightly builds referenced on the front page as John K's, I think it's version 0.1.2 although my PPC folder is now overrun with different versions. The byte size is 745742 if that is any help.

I can load up no problem with 256MB Ram allocated. No crashes.

Since the forum has experienced rapid change, I don't know if a) I should post my ppc config file here, or b) if this is really the appropriate forum. Feel free to modify or move this reply.

Thanks

Rich

[Update: I am now "upgrading" the current install of Jaguar to include the BSD sub system]
Powerbook Pismo G3/400 256mb (on order)
Powerbook G3 192mb (Wallstreet)
Powerbook G3 128mb (Wallstreet)
Powerbook G3 32mb (Kanga)
Powerbook 280c 12mb (Duo)
PearPC P4 256mb (networking not working)