Qemu-system-m68k for Linux to run MacOS 7.1-8.1

About Qemu-system-m68k, a m68k Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run MacOS 7.1 to 8.1, AUX 3.x and NetBSD

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

peanutbutter71
Space Cadet

Qemu-system-m68k for Linux to run MacOS 7.1-8.1

Post by peanutbutter71 »

Using these instructions from Cat_7 I was able to successfully build Qemu-system-m68k on Ubuntu and install OS 8.
git clone -b q800.upstream https://www.gitlab.com/mcayland/qemu q800-upstream
cd q800-upstream
./configure --target-list=m68k-softmmu --enable-gtk --enable-sdl
make

This will get you a binary to run MacOS.
To create a binary to run A/UX revert the last commit and build again.

BurntNickel
Space Cadet

Re: Qemu-system-m68k for Linux to run MacOS 7.1-8.1

Post by BurntNickel »

Hello. I've managed to build Qemu as described above on Linux, but I have been unable to get MacOS to boot. I'm not sure what I am doing incorrectly.
Here is what git shows:
snoopy:~/repos/q800-upstream/build$ git log
commit 898eade90cc99bde4964403d3bf4a9305a4fdcfa (HEAD -> q800.upstream, origin/q800.upstream)
Author: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark.cave-ayland@ilande.co.uk>
Date: Wed Aug 11 12:16:07 2021 +0100

WIP: revert AUX

And here is the command I am using :
snoopy:~/Qemu68k$ ./qemu-system-m68k -boot d -L pc-bios -M q800 -m 64 -bios Quadra800.rom -drive file=pram-macos.img,format=raw,if=mtd -device scsi-cd,scsi-id=3,drive=cd1,vendor="MATSHITA",product="CD-ROM CR-8005",ver="1.0k" -drive file=os80.iso,media=cdrom,if=none,id=cd1 -device scsi-hd,scsi-id=0,drive=hd1,vendor="SEAGATE",product="ST225N",ver="1.0" -drive file=MacHD.img,media=disk,format=raw,if=none,id=hd1

I get as far as the blinking question mark in the floppy disk like the emulated Mac can't find any bootable media. I feel I am missing something simple. Any ideas?

Thank you.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

When you get to that point it looks like the iso you try to boot might be faulty. Some iso rips are not "full", they miss vital info for the mac to boot from them.
So you might try other ones.

Best,
Cat_7
BurntNickel
Space Cadet

Post by BurntNickel »

Thank you for your suggestion. I did try another image (a 7.5.3. installation CD) and that work. I made images of my own 7.5.3, 7.6, and, 8.0 install CDs and they didn't seem to work so it looks like that's where I went wrong. I'll have to play with that further later.

The good news is that I am now successfully able to boot to the installation CD, the bad new is that it isn't seeing the hard drive image. I'll mess with that last on today and see if I can get 7.5.3 installed. I'll try and followup here with any results.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Well,

You get the "whole" mac experience, so a completely new disk needs to be initialized before the installer sees it.

Best,
Cat_7
BurntNickel
Space Cadet

Post by BurntNickel »

That's what I was expecting. I figured I'd get the message from Finder that the disk needed to be initialized or that I would need to use Apple HD SC Setup to partition and format the emulated SCSI drive. Finder doesn't say anything and with Apple HD SC Setup I get "Unable to locate a suitable drive connected to the SCSI port." So close....

I'd just use Basilisk II, which mostly works for me, but Qemu lets me scale the graphics output (which is great on newer displays).