Qemu package and guide for Windows available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Qemu package and guide for Windows available

Post by Cat_7 »

The options are explained in the guide:

mac99,via=pmu (this option supports usb mouse and keyboard)
mac99,via=pmu-adb (this allows some older Mac OS/Mac OS server builds to use a keyboard and mouse through the adb bus)
mac99,via=cuda (this is the default setting, allowing the use of the older, now less supported cuda)

So if you use mac99 that means you are using the last option. The setting indicates what hardware is available to the guest:
the pmu is a particular power management unit as is the cuda. Some mac OS (X) guests cannot work with both.
But if you switch the guest has to find/enable the other pmu and/or bus to which the peripherals are attached.
There is no separate pram file needed/available for qemu-sytem-ppc. Some parameters are saved, but I don't know where ;-)

The table on the this page: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... mu-for-osx
tells you which guests should be run with mac99 (so use mac99,via=cuda)

Perhaps you can share your command line for booting Cheetah? It boots fine here.

Best
Cat_7
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

I really appreciate your interest.

This batch file runs fine in one folder, not the other (directories adjusted, files copied)!!

Code: Select all

G:
cd "G:\Qemu_New\"
qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99,via=cuda -m 512 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -device VGA,edid=on -g 1440x900x32 -drive "file=G:\Qemu_New\Cheetah_3GB.img,media=disk,format=raw" -drive "file=G:\Qemu_New\Q_Share_3_GB.img,media=disk,format=raw" -device sungem,netdev=network01 -netdev user,id=network01 -sdl 
Not serious, as I do have it running, and really enjoying getting things going. Leopard finally going in - 5 hours 35 minutes to go. Ooops - 6 hours and 9 minutes now. :wink:

Looking forward to m68k!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Your command line works OK over here.
Did you try with only one, or three disks? I seem to vaguely remember that one of the big cats had problems with exactly 2 drives.

Best,
Cat_7
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Maybe that is the issue. I'll try that ( when Leopard has had its 5 hours and 50 minutes! ).
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Final Leopard success on attempt no 3. The first two failed as the installer could not make the install volume (new clean drive images, different sizes) the startup volume, and of course they would not boot. So I copied my Tiger drive image and installed onto there. Still, the installer said 'Fail', yet it does boot. The emulation runs a bit slowly compared to other systems, but there it is - maybe of interest to any others installing Leopard.

Edit.
And about the 'Startup Complete' problem, I deleted all the Qemu files ( .dlls, BIOS folder, executable ) and re-unzipped a clean copy and now it runs. Must have been some disk hiccup.
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Is it possible to run that Snow Leopard PPC beta under Qemu? I tried, but I get a kernel panic after a while during boot. (To be expected I suppose!)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I tried some time ago but it was a no-no.
That doesn't mean too much, because my knowledge of all the possible command line options for Qemu is limited.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

peter_j wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:34 am Is it possible to run that Snow Leopard PPC beta under Qemu? I tried, but I get a kernel panic after a while during boot. (To be expected I suppose!)
The two hacked beta builds will still only run on specific hardware; QEMU doesn't emulate those specific hardware sets, and so fails with a kernel panic.

There's continual hacking going on though, with some kernel files in the beta being replaced with Leopard kernel files. The other route is to present more virtual hardware within EFI before booting the betas; depending on what caused the panic, a bit of EFI programming may be all that's needed.

It might be worth starting a thread on MacRumours regarding getting the hacked betas working with QEMU. Personally, I just run it on actual PPC hardware (it works on a G4 Mini) and have never attempted QEMU.
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Thank you both for your responses.
psh
Tinkerer

Post by psh »

How do i getting online on QEMU? (i use Mac OS X 10.1.5 fyi)
cat
Space Cadet

Post by cat »

I may have just missed a step, but I'm wondering if I should be getting sound with this configuration:
- QEMU build is Qemu-Win64-5.2-Screamer-20-08-2020
- host machine is Windows 10, version 21H1, build 19043.1202
- guest is 9.2.2 installed with https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-922-universal
- iTunes 2.0.4 from https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/itunes-204

batchfile is

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc-screamer-fpu.exe -L pc-bios -M mac99,via=pmu -m 512 ^
-prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" ^
-hda E:\emulation\macos\fs\qemu.qcow2 ^
-hdb E:\emulation\macos\fs\games.qcow2 ^
-netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 ^
-device VGA,edid=on ^
-device usb-serial,chardev=cons -chardev console,id=cons ^
-sdl 
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yes, that build should have audio.
Please make sure to also use the pc-bios folder that comes with it as the openbios-ppc file in it is tied to the qemu executable to support sound.

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

New builds arrived, see first post in this thread.

-Build from official 6.2 rc3 source.
-Experimental build from official 6.2 rc3 source with 60hz screen refresh and fpu speed-up patches.
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

I wonder is some hw accelerator (HAXM, Hyper-V etc) working with Qemu on Windows? Some news and 3D graphics?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

When using Qemu to run an e.g. intel based OS on an intel based host, then yes.
However, we are emulating an architecture different from the host so we need to rely on translation in software. Qemu doesn't cut corners and so is relatively slow, but precise.

Just recently some options for hardware accelerated graphics became available: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu ... 04528.html
virgl could now be supported on windows and macOS hosts, but to benefit from that a rewrite of the qemu vga driver we use is needed.

Best,
Cat_7
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

Thanks for info.

I need PowerPC mac and im using Qemu too for Windows ARM emulation, but its slow.. so tried to find, that even if there is different architecture, if some accelerator could be used.

3D - KJ Liew, i know him, because his Qemu 3D acceleration for Dos and Windows 98.. But if im not wrong its for x86 only.. i need something for old PowerPC, so additional work would be needed.
BTW there is something wild from his.. Qemu Linux guess on Mac M1 - ARM host, with nested Qemu VM with Dos 3dfx acceleration..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVv8UjGhYPU
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A new experimental build was posted in the first post in this thread. It provides screamer sound support, 60hz refresh and fpu speed-up.

Best,
Cat_7
psh
Tinkerer

Post by psh »

Is there any latest QEMU screamer build?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

?
A new experimental build was posted in the first post in this thread. It provides screamer sound support, 60hz refresh and fpu speed-up.
See under experimental builds in the first post.

Best,
Cat_7
psh
Tinkerer

Post by psh »

Also i had problem with this one command
'-rtc base=' crashing my QEMU
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

What exactly happens during that crash? When does Qemu crash? At boot, or when running some program?

-rtc base=localtime works OK here.

Best,
Cat_7
psh
Tinkerer

Post by psh »

Cat_7 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:47 am What exactly happens during that crash? When does Qemu crash? At boot, or when running some program?

-rtc base=localtime works OK here.

Best,
Cat_7
Uhhh when i start QEMU and i typed it as -rtc base=true
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The -rtc command line option cannot be set to "true"

This is from the Qemu manual about -rtc:

-rtc [base=utc|localtime|datetime][,clock=host|rt|vm][,driftfix=none|slew]

Specify base as utc or localtime to let the RTC start at the current UTC or local time, respectively. localtime is required for correct date in MS-DOS or Windows. To start at a specific point in time, provide datetime in the format 2006-06-17T16:01:21 or 2006-06-17. The default base is UTC.

By default the RTC is driven by the host system time. This allows using of the RTC as accurate reference clock inside the guest, specifically if the host time is smoothly following an accurate external reference clock, e.g. via NTP. If you want to isolate the guest time from the host, you can set clock to rt instead, which provides a host monotonic clock if host support it. To even prevent the RTC from progressing during suspension, you can set clock to vm (virtual clock). ‘clock=vm’ is recommended especially in icount mode in order to preserve determinism; however, note that in icount mode the speed of the virtual clock is variable and can in general differ from the host clock.

Enable driftfix (i386 targets only) if you experience time drift problems, specifically with Windows’ ACPI HAL. This option will try to figure out how many timer interrupts were not processed by the Windows guest and will re-inject them.

Best,
Cat_7
psh
Tinkerer

Post by psh »

Hi! i had problem with my Mac OS X 10.5 installation
ITS TOOK LONG TIME
marco.nadal.75
Space Cadet

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

Hello Cat_7, Thank You for Your pro bono hard work supporting QEMU.

I want to run Oids.X (game) in OS X guest, with Windows 10 64-bit host running on AMD Ryzen 9.

I am following Your guide at https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... or-windows.
It is written for OS 9, but says it is very similar process for OS X.

Since I need audio and graphics, I decided to try OS 10.1 (Puma).

I downloaded OS 10.1 installation ISO from https://winworldpc.com/download/3dc3a60 ... e284a2c3a5

I downloaded Qemu-win64-6.2-rc3-01-12-2021 package from the OP in this thread.

I unzipped them both to C:\Users\Marco\MacOSX\QEMU\

I renamed the ISO to MacOS10.1.iso

I created a 2 GB HDD image, thus:
Open PowerShell in QEMU folder

.\qemu-img.exe create -f raw -o size=2G MacOS10.1.img
(only took 1 second, replies with:
Formatting 'MacOS10.1.img', fmt=raw size=2147483648)

Edit \QEMU\qemu.bat to read as follows:

qemu-system-ppc.exe ^
-L pc-bios ^
-M mac99,via=pmu ^
-m 512 ^
-display sdl ^
-boot d ^
-drive file=MacOS10.1.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom ^
-drive file=MacOS10.1.img,format=raw,media=disk

I then run qemu.bat from the PowerShell.

I get to the 'Select Language' screen, but I cannot move the guest mouse cursor. I use Ctrl + Alt + G to grab/release the mouse cursor, but it does not react. How do I get my USB mouse to work in QEMU so I can proceed with installation?

P.S. I cannot post images using a dropbox link as shown below, how should i post images on this forum?