Unable to progress past sad Mac - Sheepshaver M1 Big Sur 10.6.1

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mike_method
Space Cadet

Unable to progress past sad Mac - Sheepshaver M1 Big Sur 10.6.1

Post by mike_method »

Hi, first time post.

I've followed the guide and downloaded the Sheepshaver (v2.5 universal) app, downloaded the folder, moved the app into the folder, acquired a working ROM and I can only get to the sad Mac.

I've tried using both disk images available from redundant robot but no joy. The ROM I'm using is also from redundant robot (new world ppc).

What am I missing / what else can I try?

Thanks
MM
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Unable to progress past sad Mac - Sheepshaver M1 Big Sur 10.6.1

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

When you start SheepShaver with all needed files in the SheepShaver folder, you will get the sad Mac. That is expected behaviour. The next step is to open SheepShaver Preferences and set up SheepShaver as described in the setup manual.

Note 1. The fact that SheepShaver will run indicates that you use a compatible rom and that you renamed it correctly.

Note 2. Do not use a boot image from Redundant Robot! Use a MacOS installation disk image such as the one suggested in the setup manual.

It seems the instruction in the setup manual to find that disk image is not valid anymore. Here is the corrected instruction (I will edit the setup manual accordingly):
A retail international English Mac OS 9.0.4 install CD image can be downloaded from the Macintosh Garden site. Go to macintoshgarden.org. On that page scroll down to find and click the “Mac OS 9.x (Main Page)” link. There you will find the “Download (Mac_OS_9.0.4.toast_.zip (393.05 MB))” link.
mike_method
Space Cadet

Re: Unable to progress past sad Mac - Sheepshaver M1 Big Sur 10.6.1

Post by mike_method »

Thanks for getting back to me. I should have read the whole instruction guide rather than working through it and the install procedure on my Mac. I completely missed the step where after getting the Mac ? I needed to then go and configure in preferences smh, thinking I did something wrong.

That'll teach me, anyway, all working now :) Thanks again.