Help reinstalling os on my MacBook pro 2009 model

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Steelo408
Space Cadet

Help reinstalling os on my MacBook pro 2009 model

Post by Steelo408 »

Noobie here, and just found this site by chance and doing a little digging. Well I'm searching for information on reinstalling the original OS software without any usb or CD-ROM to install it. I have a old MacBook pro but I got It through a 3rd party. When I got it, it was locked I needed a passcode which I did not have. So i couldn't unlock it well I have a little experience with hp's and to unlock those just reinstall the software, which I did and it was Windows 10. Well it took fine, but I didnt like the way Windows 10 is running on the Macintosh system or the style of computer itself, so I removed it but when I installed the windows 10 it wiped out what ever Mac os system it had I couldn't locate it anywhere in the drive I tried all the command/control R or S and the multiple different configurations to try to get it back to it's original OS system but now that I deleted the Windows 10 drive it has no drive at all it turns on but it says something about error no drive or something like that ,I forgot so what I'm trying to do is reinstall whatever software it came with it's the older model and other kind of find out what OS system it does have in clothes is the picture or a clip or a paste of the photo or information about the MacBook pro I have can anybody help please advice thank you so much
MacBook Pro (2.66 GHz, 15-inch, Mid 2009)MacBook Pro (2.66 GHz, 15-inch, Mid 2009). I'm trying to send a screenshot or a picture of the details of my MacBook but I couldn't do it can somebody help with that also thanks
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Help reinstalling os on my MacBook pro 2009 model

Post by adespoton »

If you have a way of burning a DVD, you can grab a Snow Leopard universal install DVD online and burn it to DVD, then insert it and boot with C held down. Snow Leopard will then install on the computer. Then you'll need to upgrade to 10.6.8, then sign in to the App Store, then download the installer for El Capitan (10.11) and run it.

If you don't have a way of burning a DVD, you can also write the image to a thumb drive. There are also methods for writing a bootable USB drive installer directly from within the "Install El Capitan.app" installer; those are available elsewhere online.

My own preference is to create an 8GB HFS+ partition at the top of each internal drive I've got that I restore the install CD or install USB drive to. That way, even if the rest of the partitions get damaged, I can still boot into that one and reinstall the original operating system.

Once you've got Lion or later installed (10.7+), a recovery partition is also created that does essentially the same thing as my emergency boot partition for 10.4-10.6.
Steelo408
Space Cadet

Post by Steelo408 »

Ok but they only send through email downloads but since in running Windows 10 on my HP I can't download load it for some reason but hey thanks for responding back much appreciated 👍
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Steelo408 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:20 am Ok but they only send through email downloads but since in running Windows 10 on my HP I can't download load it for some reason but hey thanks for responding back much appreciated 👍
You can get iso versions of many early Mac OS versions from archive.org or the Macintosh Garden. These can be burned to DVD on your HP.