can not understand instructions in setup guide

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

afro
Inquisitive Elf

can not understand instructions in setup guide

Post by afro »

Hi,

I am stuck here in the instructions at #2 of the instructions of https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup, where it says "2. Open Preferences from SheepShaver application menu".

When I did #1 above I got the sheep shaver to start with the question mark as shown in the guide. So I closed it as per the guide. Then, if I open it again same thing happens. Am I supposed to try to open it again as in #1 for #2.? I am confused HOW TO OPEN this: "2. Open Preferences from SheepShaver application menu". Where am I to click to open Sheepshaver application menu? Like something in the Sheepshaver folder or what? I am lost...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: can not understand instructions in setup guide

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

When you run SheepShaver at this stage, you will see the question mark. That is as expected.

With SheepShaver running in front (and showing the question mark) you wil see in the OSX menu bar, next to the Apple menu, the "SheepShaver" menu. Choose from that menu "Preferences...". SheepShaver preferences will open. It will look much like the GUI that is used with BasiliskII. In SheepShaver the GUI is built-in, not a separate application.
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

Ok. I got that. Done.

Now, another problem. I do not understand in the guide in the section "Running Mac OS in Sheepshaver" the following statement: "The Start up Disc Control Panel is not functional in sheepshaver." So how do I start Sheepshaver now that I have followed the setup guide to the end? The guide initially said earlier that you click on Sheepshaver to start it the first time. So now what am I supposed to click? So far I've been clicking the Sheepshaver as I did the first time described in the guide.

Also, I was unable to get the Barrack game working. When I click on the Barrack in Sheepshaver, a black screen opens and that's all. The game does not start loading. Instead, the only thing I can do is click the "enter/return" button on my keyboard and that brings me back to Sheepshaver screen. How do I get this game to work here?

Also, I noticed that on my desktop I have (did I create this through the setup process??) a Mac OS 9 disk that has appeared. If I click on it I see "Before you install", "Trash", "Install Mac OS 9", "System Folder" and other items. Am I suppose to have this on my OS X desktop? Or did I make some sort of mistake and somehow accidentally created it...?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The Start Up Disk control in panel in MacOS9 works on a real Mac to choose between available bootable volumes which one should be used for the next startup. SheepShaver will always start from the first bootable disk in the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences. You start SheepShaver like any other application by double-clicking its icon.

Not sure what the Mac OS 9 disk is. From your description it looks like the installation disk. It should not appear on the desktop after you removed the installation disk from the volumes list.

Please show us here the content of your prefs file so we can see which disks are listed:
Launch Terminal (in /Application/Utilities/) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor. Select all content and copy and paste it here in your reply.

See the other topic about Barrack.
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

disk MacOS9
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
extfs /Users/macbook/Desktop/SharedSheep
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
seriala /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
serialb /dev/null
rom Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 268435456
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
hardcursor false
hotkey 0
scale_nearest false
scale_integer false
cpuclock 0
yearofs 0
dayofs 0
mag_rate 0
swap_opt_cmd false
sound_buffer 0
name_encoding 0
ether slirp
keycodes false
keycodefile
mousewheelmode 0
mousewheellines 1
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
idlewait true
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I see only one disk in the list. It should be the disk you installed the system onto and it should be the only disk you see in SheepShaver (apart from the "Unix" volume).

Is it indeed the only disk you see on the dektop in SheepShaver?

If it is, the content should not be the what you describe. I do not know what happened, but you most probably did something wrong with installing MacOS9.
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

I do only see one disk in sheepshaver. And it's MAC0S9HD.

However, even if I did something wrong, it should not affect the Barrack game not loading, should it? It seems that the system was installed fine as I recall the installation was successful and I can see on Sheeshaver "Browse the internet" icon, "Mail" icon, "Quick Time Player" icon, etc.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

afro wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:39 pm I do only see one disk in sheepshaver. And it's MAC0S9HD.

However, even if I did something wrong, it should not affect the Barrack game not loading, should it? It seems that the system was installed fine as I recall the installation was successful and I can see on Sheeshaver "Browse the internet" icon, "Mail" icon, "Quick Time Player" icon, etc.
From what you said before, it sounded suspiciously like you copied the system folder off the install CD onto a disk image and booted from that. The System Folder on the install CD won't run much of anything beyond the installer program.

If I get some spare cycles, I'll try running up Barrack 1.04 in BII and SS and see if I can replicate your issues and figure out a fix. Can't guarantee anything though; my time testing stuff like that is usually measured in minutes per week.
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

Adespoton:

That would be most awesome if you could have a little time to see how Barrack 1.0.4. works out on your end and share your feedback. It's a game I played 1 day for "computer" day in my middle school in grade 6 and it was "love at first sight!" 20 years later, I still remembered the name and was really excited when I found out I could actually get it to work in this day and age!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

afro wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:59 pm Adespoton:

That would be most awesome if you could have a little time to see how Barrack 1.0.4. works out on your end and share your feedback. It's a game I played 1 day for "computer" day in my middle school in grade 6 and it was "love at first sight!" 20 years later, I still remembered the name and was really excited when I found out I could actually get it to work in this day and age!
It's the first shareware game I actually paid for when it came out.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

So... I just tested Barrack 1.0.4 out on 9.0.4 and 7.5.5 on SheepShaver. 9.0.4 works flawlessly, 7.5.5 works until I hit escape to quit, at which point SheepShaver quits unexpectedly.

Under Basilisk II running 7.1P6, it just sits at the Ambrosia logo with a watch icon.

Haven't tried Mini vMac, QEMU or MACE yet. It appears to require 7.1 - 9.2.2
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

I am not good at understanding all the terminology and what is what.

When you say Barrack works with Sheepshaver 9.0.4 are you referring to this 9.0.4: "A retail international English Mac OS 9.0.4 install CD image can be downloaded from the Macintosh Garden site" , as in the instructions for setting up SheepShaver for OSX/macOS athttps://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_mac_os_x_setup

In other words, since I set up the Sheepshaver using Mac OS 9.0.4 install CD image as per instructions above in the link, I already did what you did then? But yours works perfectly, and mine shows the black screen only when I try to run the game. Did I understand that correctly?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Earlier you wrote:
afro wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:27 pmAlso, I noticed that on my desktop I have (did I create this through the setup process??) a Mac OS 9 disk that has appeared. If I click on it I see "Before you install", "Trash", "Install Mac OS 9", "System Folder" and other items. Am I suppose to have this on my OS X desktop? Or did I make some sort of mistake and somehow accidentally created it...?
This is not what I would expect when I view the content of the disk in SheepShaver after a successful MacOS 9.0.4 installation.

When you wrote "I noticed on my desktop", did you mean the guest (SheepShaver) desktop or the host desktop? If it was on the guest desktop, the installation did not succeed correctly, if it was on the host desktop, it should not have been there. Maybe you-double clicked one of the used disk image files on the host and thus mounted it accidentally on the host?

Always make sure none of the disk images used in SheepShaver are mounted on the host while SheepShaver is running!

If you installed MacOS 9.0.4 in SheepShaver, that is what you are running in SheepShaver.

Here, in my SheepShaver setup, Barrack 1.0.4 runs fine in MacOS 9.0.4, as it does in adespoton's 9.0.4 setup. So, you must have done something wrong, either during setup and installation, or in the way you use the game.
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

Ronald:

When I said "I noticed on my desktop", I meant on my host desktop a Mac OS 9 disk has appeared.

I guess I should try to follow the instructions for Sheepshaver again from the beginning? These are the ones I should follow, right?: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You do not need to start from scratch. Just like a couple of days ago with BasiliskII you can start half way. I have no time at this moment to tell what to do. I will come back later.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

afro wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:24 pm Ronald:

When I said "I noticed on my desktop", I meant on my host desktop a Mac OS 9 disk has appeared.

I guess I should try to follow the instructions for Sheepshaver again from the beginning? These are the ones I should follow, right?: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup
That's the correct instructions. On your host desktop, if you're seeing that, you're running OS X or macOS lower than 10.15. What happened is at some point you double clicked the .toast file, and it mounted as a virtual disk on your OS X desktop. You should just be able to eject it as you would a real disk.

After ejecting it from the host desktop, it should be usable to boot the guest environment and be used to install onto a blank disk image.
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

So I tried to install the system again for Sheepshaver. Added and removed the image file, etc.; the settings of course were already there since I set them previously, as was the case with Basilisks ii. However, I have the same problem with Barrack game opening into a dark screen. I also tried another game to test out if it's a Barrack game problem only. I tried Slithereens game and I get as far as the dark screen opening and Ambrosia's logo.

However, before I did the re-install, was I supposed to remove the "MACOS9HD" volume that I had created the first time I did the install in Sheepshaver? Should I delete it now, and try to re-install a third time?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You will get a black screen when you start Barrack if you did not enable sound in MacOS 9.0.4 as instructed in the setup guide in the "First run, setup, basic functions" section:

In “Sound” control panel, select “built-in” for the output device.

You can access the control panels in MacOS 9 from the Apple menu. In the Sound control panel choose "Output" at the left and then select "Built-in" at the right. "Select" means actually click on "Built-in" to highlight it.
afro
Inquisitive Elf

Post by afro »

Got it. Barrack works now. Thank you!