Error: The system software on the startup disk functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

StarryNight07
Space Cadet

Error: The system software on the startup disk functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive

Post by StarryNight07 »

I need help on how to get rid of this error even though I did everything the guide told me to do. (Windows)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Error: The system software on the startup disk functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

This is at the beginning of the setup manual:

Note: If you are using a CD image, you may need to right-click the image (in Windows), and set it to “read only” in the “properties” menu. This will solve the “The system software on the startup disk only functions if on the original media, not if copied to another drive” error message when attempting to boot from the image.
donandkatie
Space Cadet

Re: Error: The system software on the startup disk functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive

Post by donandkatie »

Hello, I'm receiving the same message on boot "The system software on the startup disk only functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive."

I'm not using a physical CD, I'm using the 9.0.4 ISO available here: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/os-904-us

I was so excited to hear the chime and then immediately crushed by the error message, aargh. Thank you.
donandkatie
Space Cadet

Post by donandkatie »

NM, I re-read the instructions, made the ISO read-only and now it works, thank you.
StarryNight07
Space Cadet

Post by StarryNight07 »

Can someone post the Macintosh garden link that is referred in the guide please?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You do not mention which guide (for Windows or OSX/macOS), I suppose you mean the link to the MacOS installation disk.

It is this board's policy to not link directly to copyright or Eula protected material. That is why we give a description rather than the link.

The description in the SheepShaver for OSX/macOS guide is easy to follow:
A retail international English Mac OS 9.0.4 install CD image can be downloaded from the Macintosh Garden site. Go to macintoshgarden.org. On that page scroll down to find and click the “Mac OS 9.x (Main Page)” link. There you will find the “Download (Mac_OS_9.0.4.toast_.zip (393.05 MB))” link.
StarryNight07
Space Cadet

Post by StarryNight07 »

ok thank you sorry about the trouble :sad: :sad: :sad: