Has Anyone Seen Paul C. Pratt Online in the Last Year?

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

egrath
Space Cadet

Re: Has Anyone Seen Paul C. Pratt Online in the Last Year?

Post by egrath »

I really hope that Paul is doing well and is just taking a longer break. But to be honest i have a bad feeling about the situation. To keep Pauls child moving on in his spirit, i have created a Github organization where i will upload all GPL licensed code from the gryphel website to coordinate further development there in case things work out badly.

https://github.com/minivmac

If Paul surfaces again, i'm more than happy to handle over the Github organization to him. In the meantime, as soon as the code is uploaded, feel free to make push requests or PM me if you want to join the Github organization. I saw that some people have hacked in various features in the 37.03 branch for their personal purposes.

Don't let Mini vMac die, hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Thanks for this.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone other than Paul using the "mini" part of Mini vMac as he designed it? That is, to be able to instrument MPW (or other tools) from a host system in as light-weight a manner as possible?

Mini vMac is such a flexible programmer's tool, deployable on anything from a Mac Plus to an M1 Mac running Linux, but I have the sense that most of us just use it as a straight-up OS/Machine emulator.
werdnaforever
Student Driver

Post by werdnaforever »

adespoton wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:43 pm Just out of curiosity, is anyone other than Paul using the "mini" part of Mini vMac as he designed it? That is, to be able to instrument MPW (or other tools) from a host system in as light-weight a manner as possible?

Mini vMac is such a flexible programmer's tool, deployable on anything from a Mac Plus to an M1 Mac running Linux, but I have the sense that most of us just use it as a straight-up OS/Machine emulator.
Well, I always thought using it as an OS/machine emulator was the idea. I thought Paul thought this too, or he wouldn't have had an entire section on his website dedicated to Macintosh software preservation (https://www.gryphel.com/c/sw/index.html).
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Recently I tried to modify the original vMac 1.9 source to build in modern MinGW GCC and found its structure and coding styles completely different from Mini vMac. I think most, if not everything in Mini vMac is rewritten by Paul instead of reusing original vMac code.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

By the way, does anyone know where Paul Pratt worked for a living? That might be a way to find out more.
swordlink1
Tinkerer

Post by swordlink1 »

ClockWise wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:46 am Sadly no. But I tried another address this morning.
Welp, it's been 2 months. How many email addresses did you try, and did he respond yet?
If you need more info, tell me ;)
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I tried all of the addresses I have for him (three?) and did not get a response.
swordlink1
Tinkerer

Post by swordlink1 »

Well that's very bad news then.

my worry level is over the 64 bit integer limit
If you need more info, tell me ;)