QEMU 68k for Termux help

About Qemu-system-m68k, a m68k Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run MacOS 7.1 to 8.1, AUX 3.x and NetBSD

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Lucss21a
Inquisitive Elf

QEMU 68k for Termux help

Post by Lucss21a »

So i was planning to emulate A/UX via QEMU on Termux. But i'm always stuck in a white screen. Help?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: QEMU 68k for Termux help

Post by adespoton »

qemu-system-m68k doesn't support A/UX or Mac OS yet. We've got custom builds here specifically to support one or the other -- these are alpha-quality builds and still have development work before they're integrated into mainline qemu-system-m68k.

Meaning, vanilla QEMU on Termux on Android isn't going to get past that white screen.
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

Lucss21a wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:52 am So i was planning to emulate A/UX via QEMU on Termux. But i'm always stuck in a white screen. Help?
I'd advise against compiling large projects on Termux. It was never intended to be 100% compatible to any known distro and many people mistake it for a Debian build (because of the included apt tool suite).

You'l run into a ton of problems with the 1000+1 dev libraries any larger project expects to find on your system.

I'll recommend LinuxDeploy with either Arm Debian or Ubuntu. That way you get a stable system, with well maintained repos and if you get any build errors there, you can actually google for that with some hope of success.

I build Qemu m68k like that directly from Github - and ran into the same "blank screen" dead end as all the others, who tried to boot MacOS 8.1 on Qemu thus far.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

QEMU stable m68k doesn't currently support booting Mac OS.
But I agree: Termux runs Termux stuff -- I'm not sure enough of the toolchain exists to do a proper QEMU build, let alone building the qemu-system-m68k mcayland experimental branch.