Modem emulation

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Sgeo
Space Cadet

Modem emulation

Post by Sgeo »

What's the easiest way to use a program that expects to communicate with a serial port?

Basilisk II only offers to use a real COM port or a FILE for the modem serial port. On Windows, does this imply I have to mess with com0com, and possibly tcpser if I want to emulate a Hayes modem?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Modem emulation

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I wouldn´t know. When your virtual hayes modem creates a virtual com port can´t you set BasiliskII to communicate to that?
Or does your virtual modem open the real com port?

Best,
Cat_7
Sgeo
Space Cadet

Post by Sgeo »

I don't have any specific virtual modem software in mind, was hoping for advice. I know tcpser exists, having trouble configuring it. Mac specific advice too (e.g., maybe someone at some point made an extension that reroutes serial port accesses over TCP/IP? I know someone made a virtual modem for OS/2 that did that around 2002)
Sgeo
Space Cadet

Post by Sgeo »

Successfully used com0com and tcpser with Basilisk II.

I ended up doing that inside Windows Sandbox, because com0com won't work on modern Windows without disabling security features of the OS, as far as I can tell (someone offered a download that purports to be a workaround, but can't say I feel totally safe with that)