SheepSaver running off boot image but won't install OS

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ezroh
Space Cadet

SheepSaver running off boot image but won't install OS

Post by ezroh »

Hi all,

I have been using SheepSaver in the past for a long time on my old macbook without any issues.

I've recently changed to a Windows based system and have tried installing SheepSaver.
Everything is running but it is only loading from the boot image and not allowing me to actually install the operating system.
It doesn't give me the install MAC OS 9 option.

I have attached screenshots to assist with trouble shooting.

Please let me know if there is a way around this as I am unable to install any software. :cry:

Thanks for your help.

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepSaver running off boot image but won't install OS

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You are using a bare OS9 boot disk, probably downloaded from Redundant Robot. It is a limited OS9 System Folder installation only and does not contain an installer

You will need a Mac installation disk image, like the retail international English Mac OS 9.0.4 install CD image that can be downloaded from the Macintosh Garden site. Go to macintoshgarden.org. On that page scroll down to find and click the “Mac OS 9.x (Main Page)” link. There you will find the “Download (Mac_OS_9.0.4.toast_.zip (393.05 MB))” link.
ezroh
Space Cadet

Post by ezroh »

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for the quick reply, I have just downloaded that image from macintosh garden and now get the following error message;

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The system will only run from a read-only CD.

Our SheepShaver for Windows setup guide tells you:
Note: If you are using a CD image, you may need to right-click the image (in Windows), and set it to “read only” in the “properties” menu. This will solve the “The system software on the startup disk only functions if on the original media, not if copied to another drive” error message when attempting to boot from the image.
ezroh
Space Cadet

Post by ezroh »

Thanks Ronald that fixed the issue of the image file and is now running correctly and allowing me to install but have now sadly ran into another issue :(

The installer gets stuck at the "Apple Hard Disk Drivers" part and keeps increasing in time without moving past the first point as per my screenshot.

Any suggestions on how to solve this? or is it a faulty disk image? I am using MAC OS 9.toast as per the link you sent above.

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Our guide says to not select the option to update the disk drivers:

In some configurations the system installation may stall at the very beginning while “Updating Apple hard disk drivers”. It seems to happen especially with some system install CD disk images.
Wait at least several minutes to be sure that installation is indeed not proceeding past this stage, then cancel the operation and quit the installer. You may need to force quit SheepShaver as well.
Then start again, but in the screen where the actual installation can be started (usually the first screen after the software license agreement), click the “Options…” button and uncheck the option to “Update Apple Hard Disk Drivers”. Installation should now proceed normally.

Best,
Cat_7
ezroh
Space Cadet

Post by ezroh »

Hi Cat + Ronald,

I found the fix in the guide shortly after posting on this thread, all is now fixed and installed! :D

Thankyou both for your help!