Multiple Basilisk II Vms

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Jcatmyself
Space Cadet

Multiple Basilisk II Vms

Post by Jcatmyself »

How does one create multiple Basilisk II VMs such as one would do in SheepShaver with .sheepvm ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Multiple Basilisk II Vms

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

BasiliskII does not have a similar feature. It it is possible to create multiple setups, each in its own folder with all needed files including BasiliskII. Then not use the BasiliskII GUI and instead manually edit the hidden ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs file with relative links that should be identical for all setups.
Jcatmyself
Space Cadet

Post by Jcatmyself »

Thank you so much! Though how would I do that exactly? (manually edit the hidden ~/.basilisk_ii_prefs file with relative links that should be identical for all setups.)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

This needs some digital skills. Exactly for what purpose do you want to have more BasiliskII setups? With different System/MacOS versions or with different settings? Would you need to switch quickly between the different setups? For only few differences between setups changing settings in the GUI or moving around some files could work.
Jcatmyself
Space Cadet

Post by Jcatmyself »

For different Mac OS, and whatever the requirements are for those OS, I would like to be able to open a different one whenever I need to so I can switch between them, like .sheepvms in SheepShaver.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ping me later this week and I'll try to get some time on my emulation Mac to grab a wrapper you can use... I bundle each Mac OS version in its own customized BII app complete with custom icon.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:13 pm Ping me later this week and I'll try to get some time on my emulation Mac to grab a wrapper you can use... I bundle each Mac OS version in its own customized BII app complete with custom icon.
That will be interesting to have. Thank you in advance.

Meanwhile, I thought that multiple-configurations would be a useful feature, so I've modified my System761 app (which contains a full copy of System 7.6.1) so that you can make multiple copies of it, each with its own configuration. Direct links to a prebuilt app like this are forbidden on the forum, so search for

System761

(no spaces) and you'll find it in the first search hit on Google.

One important detail: you can have multiple copies of the app if the copies (which can have their own names, of course) are in your user folder. You can't have multiple copies in the system's Applications folder - they'll all have the same configuration. But you can have a copy in the system's Applications folder and other copies in your user folder.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Here's some older copies of my app wrappers: https://github.com/adespoton/macosemushells -- I've changed how I do the BII ones since then though, to make dropping in a new app version easier without having to modify much.