Qemu package and guide for Windows available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Qemu package and guide for Windows available

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

While you can get Mac OS X 10.1 to work, your game will probably not run.
It requires accelerated graphics, which Qemu does not provide. https://macintoshgarden.org/games/oidsx

To get 10.1 to run, you need to set: -M mac99 and not -M mac99,via=pmu
(see the table at the top of our guide: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... or-windows )

For sound support, you would also need to run one of experimental builds we provide.

If you want to add screen shots, upload them to some sharing site and link to them in your post.

Best,
Cat_7
marco.nadal.75
Space Cadet

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

Thank You for your reply Cat_7!
Cat_7 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:09 pm While you can get Mac OS X 10.1 to work, your game will probably not run.
It requires accelerated graphics, which Qemu does not provide. https://macintoshgarden.org/games/oidsx
So I should look at another emulator?
I could try VirtuaBox or VMware I don't know if they would run OIDS.X.

I saw a MacBook for sale at a local pawn shop for $250 AUD -- at that kind of price point,
maybe emulation is too much trouble. However that MacBook in the store is most likely intel based.
Wouldn't Oids.X require PPC architecture?
Does Oids.X work under Rosetta?
For sound support, you would also need to run one of experimental builds we provide.
Is the Qemu-win64-6.2-rc3-01-12-2021 package uploaded in 2021 the latest of those builds?
If you want to add screen shots, upload them to some sharing site and link to them in your post.
I should have been clearer, I wanted to embed the image from my dropbox to the forum post, and it wouldn't let me.
I thought maybe you needed to reach a certain number of posts before you could do that.
marco.nadal.75
Space Cadet

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

Thank You again Cat_7!
Cat_7 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:09 pm To get 10.1 to run, you need to set: -M mac99 and not -M mac99,via=pmu
(see the table at the top of our guide: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... or-windows )
Done, I got a bit further through the installation process.
I can use the mouse in the Installer now.
However, now it does not detect the virtual HDD image (MacOS10.1.img), as shown below:
Like so?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lssn92a6qdfpg ... D.png?dl=0
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, the screenshot is viewable.

How did you create the disk image?
Did you use the Disk Utility in Mac OS X to partition and format the disk? That is required for the disk to show up as installation target. If it doesn't show up directly after partitioning you can try to stop/start Qemu.

Best,
Cat_7
marco.nadal.75
Space Cadet

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

Cat_7 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:19 pm How did you create the disk image?
I created a 2 GB HDD image, thus:
Open PowerShell in QEMU folder
.\qemu-img.exe create -f raw -o size=2G MacOS10.1.img
(only took 1 second, returns output:
Formatting 'MacOS10.1.img', fmt=raw size=2147483648)
Did you use the Disk Utility in Mac OS X to partition and format the disk? That is required for the disk to show up as installation target. If it doesn't show up directly after partitioning you can try to stop/start Qemu.
All the menu items in the installer are grayed out. How do I partition and format the HDD disk image?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Only one application on the CD can run at a time. Quit the installer application. Then you should be able to open Disk Utility from the Utilities in the menu bar.
marco.nadal.75
Space Cadet

Post by marco.nadal.75 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:10 pm Only one application on the CD can run at a time. Quit the installer application. Then you should be able to open Disk Utility from the Utilities in the menu bar.
Thanks I tried that, I would get an error message.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jw0zpdhovof3i ... 6.png?dl=0

I have downloaded an earlier build of QEMU with a preinstalled OS 10.4 HDD image from the Macintosh Repository.
It works, and I figured out how to make a folder on my host system act like a USB stick on the OSX desktop.
I was able to run OIDS.X, but sound loops and the copy protection system acts abnormally, the key generated by the app changes constantly. OIDS.X instructs the user to write down the key and then go on the webpage, but the key itself changes constantly so even if the registrar was not AWOL the whole procedure would not have worked, so I feel certain this is not the intended behavior.

I will try again with that newer build of QEMU and I also have some more OSX install CD-ROMs I can test.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

marco.nadal.75 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:49 pm
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:10 pm Only one application on the CD can run at a time. Quit the installer application. Then you should be able to open Disk Utility from the Utilities in the menu bar.
Thanks I tried that, I would get an error message.
Quit the the installer, not close the window. You should be able to quit the installer from the Installer menu.
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Hi Cat_7,

The error code I've mentioned on m68k thread below. I cannot compile from source on Manjaro Linux.

Code: Select all

[1366/2486] Compiling C object libcommon.fa.p/ebpf_ebpf_rss.c.o
FAILED: libcommon.fa.p/ebpf_ebpf_rss.c.o 
cc -m64 -mcx16 -Ilibcommon.fa.p -I../common-user/host/x86_64 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/p11-kit-1 -I/usr/include/SDL2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/sysprof-4 -I/usr/include/libmount -I/usr/include/blkid -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0 -I/usr/include/slirp -I/usr/include/gtk-3.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/fribidi -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/lzo -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/cloudproviders -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/at-spi2-atk/2.0 -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/at-spi-2.0 -I/usr/include/vte-2.91 -I/usr/include/virgl -I/usr/include/cacard -I/usr/include/nss -I/usr/include/nspr -I/usr/include/libusb-1.0 -fdiagnostics-color=auto -Wall -Winvalid-pch -Werror -std=gnu11 -O2 -g -isystem /mnt/Storage/Emulators/WIP/qemu-screamer/linux-headers -isystem linux-headers -iquote . -iquote /mnt/Storage/Emulators/WIP/qemu-screamer -iquote /mnt/Storage/Emulators/WIP/qemu-screamer/include -iquote /mnt/Storage/Emulators/WIP/qemu-screamer/disas/libvixl -iquote /mnt/Storage/Emulators/WIP/qemu-screamer/tcg/i386 -pthread -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -Wstrict-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wundef -Wwrite-strings -Wmissing-prototypes -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fwrapv -Wold-style-declaration -Wold-style-definition -Wtype-limits -Wformat-security -Wformat-y2k -Winit-self -Wignored-qualifiers -Wempty-body -Wnested-externs -Wendif-labels -Wexpansion-to-defined -Wimplicit-fallthrough=2 -Wno-missing-include-dirs -Wno-shift-negative-value -Wno-psabi -fstack-protector-strong -fPIE -D_DEFAULT_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 -DNCURSES_WIDECHAR=1 -D_REENTRANT -Wno-undef -DSTRUCT_IOVEC_DEFINED -MD -MQ libcommon.fa.p/ebpf_ebpf_rss.c.o -MF libcommon.fa.p/ebpf_ebpf_rss.c.o.d -o libcommon.fa.p/ebpf_ebpf_rss.c.o -c ../ebpf/ebpf_rss.c
../ebpf/ebpf_rss.c: In function ‘ebpf_rss_load’:
../ebpf/ebpf_rss.c:52:5: error: ‘bpf_program__set_socket_filter’ is deprecated: libbpf v0.8+: use bpf_program__set_type() instead [-Werror=deprecated-declarations]
   52 |     bpf_program__set_socket_filter(rss_bpf_ctx->progs.tun_rss_steering_prog);
      |     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from ../ebpf/ebpf_rss.c:17:
/usr/include/bpf/libbpf.h:732:16: note: declared here
  732 | LIBBPF_API int bpf_program__set_socket_filter(struct bpf_program *prog);
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
make[1]: *** [Makefile:163: run-ninja] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/Storage/Emulators/WIP/qemu-screamer/build'
make: *** [GNUmakefile:11: all] Error 2
Using this commands:

git clone -b screamer https://github.com/mcayland/qemu qemu-screamer
cd qemu-screamer
./configure --target-list="ppc-softmmu" --enable-gtk --enable-sdl
make
cd build
strip qemu-system-ppc
Once again, many thanks for all of you for hard work and support.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A new build from the Qemu 7.1 RC3 source has been posted in the first post in the thread.
It fixes the corrupted screen when switching away from millions of colours.

Best,
Cat_7
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Hi Cat_7,

Is there any update for screamer as well?
Last version for Linux I managed to compile was is 6.2.0.

Regards
Tomasz
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I'd have to ask the developer to rebase the screamer specific patches on qemu master. He is extremely busy right now ironing out a nasty Virtual Memory-related bug in qemu-system-m68k. So I'll wait a bit to bug him ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
thom75
Inquisitive Elf

Post by thom75 »

Hi Cat_7,

Thanks for replay. I'll need wait then. :D

Thom
Xii-Nyth
Space Cadet

Post by Xii-Nyth »

After hiding the border by changing the window mode in windows 10, I was wondering is there is a way to scale the window 2:1 with nearest neighbor so 1920x1080 turns into 3840x2160

I'm trying to reduce the amount of steps to get in and out of the window so not having to toggle fullscreen would be the easier one, and then as for not having to ctrl alt g to lock the mouse in would be other other.
Don't think the ladder is possible, but if there anyway to change the mousehook key to "4"? I'm used to using that with n64 emulators.

Update, found an applicaation named borderlessgaming.exe which basically serves as a workaround for both issues, allowing me to alt tab out of the application even when locked. THe only flaw with this approch is that it appears as neither a fullscreen window to other applications, and does not visibly appear as a normal window when tabbed out, so no screenshot tools or other applications can interact with it, however obs can se eit in its "dumb" modes like display capture

Update 2: The next day I can no longer tab out while locked again, who knows why.
Update 3: If I star the application from the .bat I can tab out, if I use a shortcut targeting cmd with a command to target the .bat (so I can pin to startmenu) I cannot tab out.

Last edited by Xii-Nyth on Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pootykins
Space Cadet

Post by Pootykins »

EVWeb wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:33 am No problem, I still have my modified bat file, but I thought you'd like to know just in case someone else tries to use it.
Sorry, I'm totally new to this. Just trying to get 10.1 running to play Hollow Ground. I cant get qemu-img to work. Does it have to do with this "modified bat file"?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The qemu-img program should be run in a command window, not from the bat file.

Best
Cat_7
Pootykins
Space Cadet

Post by Pootykins »

Awesome :) Thank you
mahrain
Space Cadet

Post by mahrain »

At the risk of asking something very exotic: are there Qemu builds around compiled for Windows ARM64?
Pootykins
Space Cadet

Post by Pootykins »

Cat_7 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:48 am Hi,

The qemu-img program should be run in a command window, not from the bat file.

Best
Cat_7
Again, I'm sorry. I'm kind of outa my depth here. This is the 1st time I've ever used the command prompt. I managed to navigate to the folder where i unpacked all my qemu stuff. When I try to create the disk image space it tells me "Invalid image size specified". Does my image size need to match the Disk image file size? I tried both "size=2G" and "size=6G" from the instructions and a comment you made, but neither worked.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The size parameter only defines how big the virtual disk will be to hold your Mac OS / OSX installation. If you want to install some version of OSX, you might want to create something like a 6Gb file.
You can use something like this command (copy and paste it into your command window)

qemu-img.exe create -f raw -o size=6G OSX101.img 
Best,
Cat_7
Pootykins
Space Cadet

Post by Pootykins »

Cat_7 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:23 am Hi,

The size parameter only defines how big the virtual disk will be to hold your Mac OS / OSX installation. If you want to install some version of OSX, you might want to create something like a 6Gb file.
You can use something like this command (copy and paste it into your command window)

Best,
Cat_7
Thank you :) I was able to get some help. My problem was that my disk image name had spaces in it. I guess windows command prompt doesn't like that. I just had to rename my disk image.
Pootykins
Space Cadet

Post by Pootykins »

Pootykins wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:39 am
Cat_7 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:23 am Hi,

Best,
Cat_7
Thank you :) I was able to get some help. My problem was that my disk image name had spaces in it. I guess windows command prompt doesn't like that. I just had to rename my disk image.
Ive made it pretty far. I'm stuck on installation though. I cant seem to find the command to hold down upon boot to bring up the Disk Utility. I dont have a command key and the normal is "command + space" what is they command i hold down?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You cannot click on the menus to select the disk utility?

Best,
Cat_7
joshlac
Space Cadet

Post by joshlac »

Hi,
I build the Qemu screamer version following this guide:
https://gist.github.com/akemin-dayo/0e9 ... 0680256103

The sound worked after installing OS 9.2, but only when I booted for the first time. Now, I'm either getting system bomb:
https://postimg.cc/gnBKhFXR

or the system boots, but without the sound... How can I fix this?

p.s. Here's my boot string:
./qemu-system-ppc -accel tcg,tb-size=2048 -machine mac99,via=pmu -cpu g3 -m 896 -netdev user,id=qemunet0 -device sungem,netdev=qemunet0 -g 1920x1080x32 -device VGA,edid=on,vgamem_mb=64,xres=1920,yres=1080 -display sdl,window-close=off -monitor stdio \
-boot c -hda "C:\MacOS_installed\MacOS9.qcow2" -cdrom "C:\MacOS_installed\Photoshop.iso"
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

When you can get the emulator to boot, try disabling (in Extensions Manager control panel) the Apple Audio Extension and start the emulator again. Sound should work without that extension.