Sheepshaver crashes on launch

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

wavyinterlude
Space Cadet

Sheepshaver crashes on launch

Post by wavyinterlude »

For some reason, when I launch Sheepshaver (using Windows 11), it crashes straight on launch. I don't know why it's doing this. It gives me a blank white screen, then just closes. I'm on build 22H2 (22621.382). Is there any solution for this bug?
nothing without intention.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sheepshaver crashes on launch

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Is this at setup or did SheepShaver work fine and did it suddenly stop working?
If a working SheepShaver stopped working, did you change anything (like install software, change settings) or did anything happen (like a crash) right before SheepShaver stopped working?

If you refer to a specific build, please mention where you got it and if you downloaded it from this site, please mention the build date rather than a version number.
kkritsilas
Space Cadet

Post by kkritsilas »

Hi,

I have been working on trying to get Sheepshaver to work on my Mac Mini (2014, 1.4GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 500GB HD, on OSX 12.5.1). The build I am using is Sheepshaver 2.5, with a creation date of January 24, 2022 at 11:47AM.

I believe that I have screwed up the initial set up, to the point that Sheepshaver will not start, as in crashes immediately upon trying to start up. I did read in your setup guide that there is a hidden preferences file in my user account. I think I can work my way back to starting from the beginning if I can delete the hidden preferences file, but don't know where to find it, seeing as it is hidden. Is there a way to get to this file and delete it. I believe I have all the relevant ROM and image files, I just need to get Sheepshaver to start so that it can create a virtual hard disk to allow it to boot.

Kostas
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If you followed the instructions, you will have downloaded the SheepShaver folder in which to install SheepShaver. The SheepShaver folder contains a folder 'SheepShaver scripts'. After running the scripts 'Delete Prefs File' and 'Zap PRAM', you can start a fresh setup.
kkritsilas
Space Cadet

Post by kkritsilas »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. i eill try that tonight.
wavyinterlude
Space Cadet

Post by wavyinterlude »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:24 pm Is this at setup or did SheepShaver work fine and did it suddenly stop working?
If a working SheepShaver stopped working, did you change anything (like install software, change settings) or did anything happen (like a crash) right before SheepShaver stopped working?

If you refer to a specific build, please mention where you got it and if you downloaded it from this site, please mention the build date rather than a version number.
Hi, sorry for the late response. And no, it was working fine, I didn't do anything to it. It all of a sudden just stopped working one day.

I got it from here, EMaculation, and I'm using build date 12-07-2022.

EDIT: I deleted the prefs file, and it worked! thank you :)
nothing without intention.